Hammersmith Flyover (London) cycle ban

jgurney

Hammersmith Flyover (London) cycle ban

Post by jgurney »

Has anyone else on here been inconvenienced (and endangered) by Transport for London's imposing a ban on cycling over Hammersmith Flyover?

I was caught out by it yesterday: apparently it was imposed at the end of July but I had no cause to ride there in between. It was especially annoying as cycling conditions were ideal. Traffic was moving at 10-12 mph eastward along the A4 and over the flyover, so a cyclist could match speeds with the rest and could change lanes with ease.In such conditions, riding over the flyover is much simpler and safer than having to divert off it as I was compelled to and to negotiate the Hammersmith gyratory instead, which meant riding through a series of multi-lane junctions where fast-accelerating motor traffic was darting between lanes, especially as to regain my intended route meant having to use mainly the 3rd of 4 lanes.

Given that this situation - traffic over the flyover creeping along at cycling speeds - is the norm during peak hours when commuter cyclists are most likely to be going that way, ordering us off the safe route and into a more more risky substitute makes no sense at all.
mjr

Re: Hammersmith Flyover (London) cycle ban

Post by mjr »

Not noticed it, but it's well outside the area where I monitor draft (daft?) traffic orders. I'd contact LCC and see if they knew and whether they objected.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

FAO Andrew Gilligan
Cycling Commissioner for London

Dear Andrew

It has come to my attention that Transport for London's has imposing a ban on cycling over Hammersmith Flyover?

I find no reference to this ban on the web?

For the confident cyclist this has causes inconvenienced and possible endangerment of cyclists.

I understand this ban was imposed at the end of July.

I understand there is concern that the new expansion joints that are in the form of interlocking combs would be a hazard to cyclist. I have personally cycle over many large bridges with expansion joints e.g. Forth Road Bridge , Seven Bridge , A14 bridge near Ipswich, bridge on the M5 cycle access etc. etc. all of which have expansion joints, what is different with Hammersmith Flyover, of course I am unable to inspect due to the cycling ban. Surely Transport for London should have thought of this and instructed their contractors accordingly to make provision for cyclists.

The flyover for the confident cyclist has cycling conditions that are ideal. Traffic moves at 10-12 mph eastward along the A4 and over the flyover, so a cyclist could match speeds with the rest and could change lanes with ease.

In such conditions, riding over the flyover is much simpler and safer than having to divert off. If you are compelled to negotiate the Hammersmith gyratory instead, which means riding through a series of multi-lane junctions where fast-accelerating motor traffic entails darting between lanes, especially for some routes having to use mainly the 3rd of 4 lanes.

Traffic over the flyover creeping along at cycling speeds - is the norm during peak hours when commuter cyclists are most likely to be going that way, ordering us off the safe route and into a more risky substitute makes no sense at all

I know there are back roads routes but they are slow, the fast confident cyclist prefers a direct route.

I look forward to your observations.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.) | CTC London – Secretary and CTC Councillor
| Mobile: 0794-980-1698 | Email: philipbenstead1@gmail.com / philip.benstead@ctc.org.uk | Westminster, London, SW1

Organizing cycling events/rides and representing cyclist interests in GLA area and Home Counties since 1988.

Do want to go on a Social Cycle Ride? http://www.meetup.com/socialcycling4u/

DfT/CTC Bikeability Instructor / Instructor Trainer and Level 3 Cycle Mechanic
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Dear Andrew?

Isn't that a bit too familiar?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

jgurney wrote:Given that this situation - traffic over the flyover creeping along at cycling speeds - is the norm during peak hours when commuter cyclists are most likely to be going that way, ordering us off the safe route and into a more more risky substitute makes no sense at all.

Ahh, poor you. That flyover sees traffic flying along outside the queuing time, which is maybe 90% of the day.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Dear Andrew?

Isn't that a bit too familiar?

i have meet him many times
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I think you probably blew it by using the word "confident" in your letter. In the modern debate with respect to providing for cyclists the adjective is used to dismiss anybody arguing for improvements to conditions on the road out of hand.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

FarOeuf wrote:
jgurney wrote:Given that this situation - traffic over the flyover creeping along at cycling speeds - is the norm during peak hours when commuter cyclists are most likely to be going that way, ordering us off the safe route and into a more more risky substitute makes no sense at all.

That flyover sees traffic flying along outside the queuing time,

So do thousands of miles of roads around the country, many of which have 60 or 70mph limits, not the 30 limit which applies on the Flyover.

which is maybe 90% of the day.

and I suspect that 90% of the cycle commuter traffic occurs exactly when the Flyover is congested and traffic averages 10-15mph.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Philip Benstead wrote:FAO Andrew Gilligan
Cycling Commissioner for London

Dear Andrew

It has come to my attention that Transport for London's has .....

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.) | CTC London – Secretary and CTC Councillor
| Mobile: 0794-980-1698 | Email: philipbenstead1@gmail.com / philip.benstead@ctc.org.uk | Westminster, London, SW1

Well done! I was still looking for the right person to contact.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:I think you probably blew it by using the word "confident" in your letter. In the modern debate with respect to providing for cyclists the adjective is used to dismiss anybody arguing for improvements to conditions on the road out of hand.

It's also used to dismiss anybody arguing for off-carriageway cycle tracks and their junctions to be made up to even the low standard in current guidance... because "confident cyclists like you" will just remain on the carriageway anyway :( As a friend said to me - do they think novice cyclists like obstacle courses, then? :(

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I thank Philip for having a go.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Perhaps the word "confident" is not the wisest. Gazillions of London cyclists are confident yet are far from being competent.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Keen-biker

Post by Keen-biker »

To update this with some safety advice, I know it's been put to one side but I accidently went on the Hammersmith flyover and I really would avoid those expansion joints in the winter.

My experience is that a 700c 23 rim will crack and at worse dent the rim, cause a huge snakebite and possibly screw the tyre altogether. It's quite a walk to the end and to change the tube.

Maybe in the summer they will close a bit (STILL CLOSED OFF TO CYCLISTS) but those joints are about 50cm across and 4cm wide and I am glad I got out of it, a slower biker could and more possibly get locked in.

I missed the small sign telling the cyclist that it is prohibited, it really should be a normal larger sign.

Please take the small diversion and stay safe, the local avoidance road isn't much longer and is flat and maybe because of that faster.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Keen-biker wrote:Please take the small diversion and stay safe, the local avoidance road isn't much longer and is flat and maybe because of that faster.

Is it really faster, even with all those traffic lights and detours?