Crossing on Red. No One Complains About Pedestrians

Bicycler

Re: Crossing on Red. No One Complains About Pedestrians

Post by Bicycler »

When I read the first post I truly despaired. I'm heartened by some of the replies which mean I don't feel obliged to have a half-page rant (so we can all be thankful :wink: ).

The one point that has been missed:
Maybe a campaign to make the media, drivers, politicians, etc aware how pedestrians are the worst light jumpers may take a bit of the tediously repetitive pressure off us cyclists.

It would be such a massive own goal for cycle campaigners to do something like that:

- It would instantly backfire because people would point to the legality of pedestrians crossing the road compared to the illegality of cyclists running red lights. Cue opportunity for more "why do cyclists think they are above the law" articles.

- It would victimise and alienate our greatest potential ally, the other huge group of travellers who have been marginalised, endangered and inconvenienced by the prioritisation of motor traffic.

- In turn it would fan the flames of pedestrian/cyclist conflict.

- It would play right into the hands of the motor lobby which would happily see pedestrian traffic regulated ("jaywalking" laws etc.) and wishes road safety discussion to focus upon the trivial misdemeanours of vulnerable road users rather than the vehicles which actually cause of injury and death.

- It would disadvantage cyclists who would suddenly feel obliged to obey red cycle lamps on toucan crossings. Some cyclists inevitably ignoring such lights would be brought up as evidence of our blatant hypocrisy.

- It would completely miss the point by failing to understand the inconvenience suffered by pedestrians. At least we only have a single traffic light per junction - pedestrians often have four.

Not quite half a page...
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

The OP does remind me of an 'incident' that occurred some time ago.

I was working in Japan and the Japanese obey the red/green man with absolutism. (I on the other hand am British...)
So I was waiting at the side of the road with the crowd when I spotted a gap in the traffic and decided to go for it. As I stepped off the pavement - so did everyone else (because obviously nobody would cross if the light was against them.)
The ensuing confusion and the look of bewilderment on the drivers face was a thing to behold. It was as if the laws of physics had suddenly stopped working!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Walking back to our church from the Remembrance parade MiniBob had been in was lovely.

As MiniBob is still quite young she wasn't in the last parade back down the street, so the road was closed. She loved skipping along the white lines and suggested we could arrange a parade on our road so the road could be closed.

We really do need to reclaim streets much more often!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Apologies if I've missed it if it has been said already. I just wanted to point out that, when comparing with behaviour in other countries, there are laws against crossing on red (USA & Germany are two I believe).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Walking back to our church from the Remembrance parade MiniBob had been in was lovely.

As MiniBob is still quite young she wasn't in the last parade back down the street, so the road was closed. She loved skipping along the white lines and suggested we could arrange a parade on our road so the road could be closed.

Yet in Chester-le-Street, main street was closed off for the parade, side streets coned off, after the parade went through car appeared at the cones and driver began beeping insistently at the road worker standing nearby to move the cones and let him through - eventually he was allowed through!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark1978 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Walking back to our church from the Remembrance parade MiniBob had been in was lovely.

Yet in Chester-le-Street, main street was closed off for the parade, side streets coned off, after the parade went through car appeared at the cones and driver began beeping insistently at the road worker standing nearby to move the cones and let him through - eventually he was allowed through!

The road workers around here were very nicely directing the traffic elsewhere. I presume that at the advertised "end time" a resident might have wanted access, but I saw no aggro at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I often cycle slowly at walking pace across junctions when the lights are all on red and pedestrians are crossing.

Yet I still get silly toots from motorists who are annoyed at me.

But what difference does it make to them? Would they be happier if I got off my bike and walked it across? And if so why?
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote:Apologies if I've missed it if it has been said already. I just wanted to point out that, when comparing with behaviour in other countries, there are laws against crossing on red (USA & Germany are two I believe).

Maybe not in Germany for much longer! I've been told the cross-on-red laws are rarely enforced, but Berlin started actually enforcing them, fined people over €2million in just over a year :eek: and thereby provoked the opposition Left into proposing these unjust laws are repealed :lol: http://www.wsj.com/articles/would-germa ... 1445907439
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

+1
Local streets were closed around here and the other noticeable feature was how quite it was, emphasising just how noisy motor vehicles are even at slow speed. There weren't even cycles to contend with. :lol:
The sad thing was that after the ceremony there were cries of "Where's the car?", "The car's over there", "Meet you at the car", "I've parked......" etc. I'm sure many couldn't have lived more than a mile away. :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Bicycler wrote:When I read the first post I truly despaired. I'm heartened by some of the replies which mean I don't feel obliged to have a half-page rant (so we can all be thankful :wink: ).

The one point that has been missed:
Maybe a campaign to make the media, drivers, politicians, etc aware how pedestrians are the worst light jumpers may take a bit of the tediously repetitive pressure off us cyclists.

It would be such a massive own goal for cycle campaigners to do something like that:

- It would instantly backfire because people would point to the legality of pedestrians crossing the road compared to the illegality of cyclists running red lights. Cue opportunity for more "why do cyclists think they are above the law" articles.

- It would victimise and alienate our greatest potential ally, the other huge group of travellers who have been marginalised, endangered and inconvenienced by the prioritisation of motor traffic.

- In turn it would fan the flames of pedestrian/cyclist conflict.

- It would play right into the hands of the motor lobby which would happily see pedestrian traffic regulated ("jaywalking" laws etc.) and wishes road safety discussion to focus upon the trivial misdemeanours of vulnerable road users rather than the vehicles which actually cause of injury and death.

- It would disadvantage cyclists who would suddenly feel obliged to obey red cycle lamps on toucan crossings. Some cyclists inevitably ignoring such lights would be brought up as evidence of our blatant hypocrisy.

- It would completely miss the point by failing to understand the inconvenience suffered by pedestrians. At least we only have a single traffic light per junction - pedestrians often have four.

Not quite half a page...

+1
Pedestrians always have priority on the road as there's no right to run one over. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

kwackers wrote:The OP does remind me of an 'incident' that occurred some time ago.

I was working in Japan and the Japanese obey the red/green man with absolutism. (I on the other hand am British...)
So I was waiting at the side of the road with the crowd when I spotted a gap in the traffic and decided to go for it. As I stepped off the pavement - so did everyone else (because obviously nobody would cross if the light was against them.)
The ensuing confusion and the look of bewilderment on the drivers face was a thing to behold. It was as if the laws of physics had suddenly stopped working!

That's wonderful! Made me laugh! :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

As to the topic, I think it's not quite right: people do complain about pedestrians crossing on red. They – they being drivers in this case – don't do it that much because usually pedestrians don't hold the drivers up, but when drivers have to brake to avoid them, they do complain. At least to their passengers or whoever is around to hear. They don't tend to make a theme of it much.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is a convention on UK streets that road traffic (bicycles, horses, cars, lorries, motorcycles) obey road lights. Pedestrians are not required to wait for lights. After all, pedestrians can cross elsewhere on the road, not just where there are lights. There are places (Switzerland?) where pedestrians are expected to cross at designated crossings and wait for lights to change.
PRL

Post by PRL »

pwa wrote:It is a convention on UK streets that road traffic (bicycles, horses, cars, lorries, motorcycles) obey road lights. Pedestrians are not required to wait for lights.

The point is that the convention could equally logically have distinguished between motor-power/ human-power as between effectively wheeled/ not-wheeled. An arbitrary convention can be argued against but it is unwise to ignore it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bmblbzzz wrote:As to the topic, I think it's not quite right: people do complain about pedestrians crossing on red. They – they being drivers in this case – don't do it that much because usually pedestrians don't hold the drivers up, but when drivers have to brake to avoid them, they do complain. At least to their passengers or whoever is around to hear. They don't tend to make a theme of it much.

They also complain about pedestrians crossing side roads despite rule 170 and often make a point of using the horn to show their displeasure and they're quite happy to leave pedestrians 'marooned' in the middle of the road should their lights go green whilst pedestrians are in the middle of crossing.

In fact there's one fairly simple theme to most motorists whining, that something got in their way and made them stop or slow down a bit.
IME, pedestrians have it far worse than cyclists. Motorists begrudgingly allow cyclists to use the roads but pedestrians are given very little leeway.