Nil Incidents

Mick F
Spambuster

Nil Incidents

Post by Mick F »

I rode out today into the Big City.

I did a long loop of 45 miles, via Plympton, Plymouth, Devonport, and over the bridge through Saltash. I don't normally cycle through the Metropolis and the heavy traffic, but I felt like a change of scenery.

In all the traffic lights, roundabouts, dual carriageways, filter lanes, bus lanes and one-way systems, I never:
got shouted at
was honked at
cut up
squidged by a lorry
abused in any way
felt the need to RLJ
rode on a pavement
felt hassled
was in any danger
had any problem whatsoever

Why?

Are all the problems that cyclists report just an exception to normality?
Or, am I not normal?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mythical

Post by Mythical »

I experience that on pretty much every ride. Then again, I have to admit I don't ride in London.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/misfit-cyclist - The photos are rubbish but the memories are good. :)
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Mythical wrote:I experience that on pretty much every ride. Then again, I have to admit I don't ride in London.

At the risk of being disbelieved, I find incidents if courtesy and co-operation way outnumber boorish behaviour even here in glorious Norf London :)

The only time (so far) I've had serious road rage was from a tw4t in a BMW who felt I wasn't going fast enough (for him) when I was passing a stationary Bendy Bus (all 60ft of the ghastly thing). I think that says more about BMW drivers than Londoners!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sunday:-Three tandems out together,a) we were overtaken to closely and remonstrated by an arm wave(all three captains).Car stopped in middle of road driver (goonie )got out and shouted, 'what are you lot doing, do you think you own the road' or words to that effect.I informed him that we did own the road,just like he did.b)Within two miles small hatch back cut me and MrsR2 up at spot island,car received a slap on the door, no response.
Later on in the ride we went through an unavoidable puddle and was told off by stoker as her feet got wet.other than that a good ride.

Tuesday:-Went out for a quick 30mls solo, large transit van overtook me and turned left nearly wiping me off. Five miles further on,skip truck nearly took my right arm off,the transit driver behind him slowed and asked if I was OK, even he was shocked.

Wednesday:- three tandems One solo,Good ride,front wheel puncture.

Thurs:-Just nipped out on't Hybrid to catch the sunset and take a few pictures,punctured, luckily only 1/2mile from home so walked it.Good sunset though.

We'll see what Friday has up its sleeve.

PS Hope I don't have to go to London.
tobyj

Post by tobyj »

Your nice experiences also correlate with mine virtually every day. I commute 12 km in heavy traffic in Bath every day and I don't actually remember the last time I had a bad enough experience worth recalling. I also often ride back from pubs in city centre about 11.00 and never had any bother (touch wood!).

I wonder if some of us, who experience a lot of aggro are:

a. unlucky.

b. riding in a way that pisses off other road users.

c. both a and b?

Not defending bad behaviour of car drivers - some are total shits, but if (b) is only partly right, perhaps we can ride in a way which invites less conflict?

I'm not giving any answers here, but it does seem curious that some of us seem to get a lot of trouble with other road users,others of us nothing. It could just be probability of course.

For what its worth, occasionally I do see other cyclists riding in the primary riding position on Bath's narrow streets - and not a\llowing overtaking, thus causing a lot of irritation. This is a bit selfish and poor riding - in my opinion!

I think a debate about how / if riding style affects probability of conflict with other road users is probably worth having. The difficulty though is the lack of hard facts and too many subjective opinions (from me included!).

Happy riding!

Toby
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Nope I rarely ever have any problems. I often find my self acknowledging courteous drivers. And I live and ride in Central London.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Likewise; mainly hassle free cycling life.

I often wonder at the aggro others appear to get.

I, too, would like to know why.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andymiller,nigel s
The four incidents I noted were completely unprovoked,one of which (the one at the spot island)appeared to be oblivious to us but how often do you see three tandems together?The other three where deliberate IMO, but by no means uncommon.
I do ride assertively,I do give way when I should,I won't be bullied and I do acknowledge courtious drivers by a friendly wave, whom I do find are in the vast majority.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

reohn2 wrote:I do ride assertively
I do give way when I should
I won't be bullied
I do acknowledge courtious drivers by a friendly wave, whom I do find are in the vast majority.

me too, four times.

today i'd only gone 100 metres when a volvo passes me with inches to spare, rather than wait to overtake safely when i'd passed the three parked cars :evil:
glueman

Post by glueman »

Very rarely get grief but as stated in another thread, when I do it's never motivated by riding discipline, just by being there. Group riding gets more comments from drivers than it ever has.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

reohn2 wrote:andymiller,nigel s
The four incidents I noted were completely unprovoked,one of which (the one at the spot island)appeared to be oblivious to us but how often do you see three tandems together?The other three where deliberate IMO, but by no means uncommon.
I do ride assertively,I do give way when I should,I won't be bullied and I do acknowledge courtious drivers by a friendly wave, whom I do find are in the vast majority.

When I say "mainly" I don't mean "never". It's just that others *seem* to get more hassle than I do. I don't know why. FWIW I seem to get hassled more when I'm driving. Perhaps it's because I commute by car and tend to cycle at "off peak" times. Suggests that perhaps it's understandably worse at commuting times.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nigel_s wrote:
reohn2 wrote:andymiller,nigel s

When I say "mainly" I don't mean "never". It's just that others *seem* to get more hassle than I do. I don't know why. FWIW I seem to get hassled more when I'm driving. Perhaps it's because I commute by car and tend to cycle at "off peak" times. Suggests that perhaps it's understandably worse at commuting times.

I don't commute myself and try to ride at off peak times.I think Glueman put it in a nutshell,the aggro' seems to be by just being there.

PS I consider a vehicle less than a foot away from me as intimidation/lunatic driving and am not comfortable with at all.
It happened again today, 4x4 decided to overtake me at approx 40mph(4x4 not me)with less than a foot to spare even though he had lots of room on his offside.
I can only conclude that a)they intend to bully/intimidate or b)don't understand/care about the effect they have on vunerable road users.
Surely if a driver has room on his offside he would give any vehicle he is overtaking as much room as he could,wouldn't he/she?If not and we rule out lunacy,I can only think that the offender doesn't think of the effect his/her actions are having on other road users so their driving is substandard if this is the case then they need educating and or retraining.

Its interesting that motorists convicted of speeding have the option to attend an education course(also drink drivers too I believe),I haven't heard of the same thing for other motoring offenders ie due care and attention etc
Two other points,in France it is a legal requirement I think I'm right in saying, to give cyclists 1.5m (5ft) room on the road when overtaking.
Here there is an advised distance of 1m(3ft).
Also, on the continent if there is a collision between a motor vehicle and a vunerable road user ie cyclist ,pedestrian etc the motor vehicle driver has to prove his inoccence,which makes for far more careful driving in the presence of vunerable road users.
DavidT

Nil incidents

Post by DavidT »

Went out for a 15 mile loop this morning around the villages.

For the first time, in a very long time, a yob in a flat bed truck decided to yell something at me as he went past. Could have done without that, but;....

There were at least half a dozen occassions when traffic held back approaching bends, when faced with oncoming traffic, going through villages etc before overtaking. In so doing putting me under no pressure, and giving plenty of room.

Good stuff. What a good ride. Pretty normal really, apart from the yob.
jmaccyd

Post by jmaccyd »

Two other points,in France it is a legal requirement I think I'm right in saying, to give cyclists 1.5m (5ft) room on the road when overtaking.
Here there is an advised distance of 1m(3ft).

When I was a Driving Instructor, and before I was a cyclist, I also used to answer the question from pupils of 'how much clearance do I give a cyclist?' With the reply 'enough room to fall off!'
Last edited by jmaccyd on 20 Jan 2008, 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

jmaccyd wrote:When I was a Driving Instructor, and before I was a cyclist, I also used to answer the question from pupils of 'how much clearance do I give a cyclist?' With the reply 'enougth room to fall off!'

I am pretty sure that up until some time in the late 70s, maybe early 80s, the Highway Code gave a recommended distance of 6 feet instead of the wishy-washy "as much room as you would a car".

I recall a lady cyclist failing her driving test and one of the points was passing a cyclist too closely. You can be certain that she gave more space than we could expect even then.