Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution

reohn2

Re: Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air polluti

Post by reohn2 »

Mark R wrote:Some genuine peer reviewed science (which hopefully won't be rubbished) to drive the point home...

http://www.jabfm.org/content/21/1/55.full

Some excerpts:

On an equal horsepower basis, diesel exhaust is 100 times more toxic than gasoline exhaust, even when carbon monoxide is considered.2

Diesel engines emit other toxic compounds in disproportionately higher concentrations than gasoline engines, including nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides, ozone, formaldehyde, benzene, and smaller organic molecules.

In the report there doesn't appear to be a side by side diesel v petrol emissions nasties comparison.
I'm not claiming anything but I'd like to see such a comparison for newer so called 'cleaner burning' diesel engines,any links?
FWIW in towns and cities I find the worst culprits to be buses and taxis,they seem to be the dirtiest vehicles,perhaps due to lax emissions law enforcement in the UK,and their vast mileages/lack of strict maintenance schedules(?)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:FWIW in towns and cities I find the worst culprits to be buses and taxis,they seem to be the dirtiest vehicles,perhaps due to lax emissions law enforcement in the UK,and their vast mileages/lack of strict maintenance schedules(?)

Don't quote me on this but I think taxis are almost wholly within the power of the local borough/district/unitary council (licensing authority) to clean up if they want to. Taxis routinely have things like age limits and more frequent testing than private vehicles. It's one of the easiest air quality measures for a local council to take, although taxi drivers tend to be well-organised and noisy, so it needs someone with a bit of political nous to steer it through.

Buses... far more difficult in most places, thanks to Thatcher's so-called "deregulation".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

MartinC wrote:I weary of this. You've selected one piece of research you like. The prologue selectively quotes the perceived advantages of diesels but misses one of the main ones. The paper quotes the source of your favourite "100 times" quote as a test of some "selected" diesel engines. The only point this is driving home is that you can cherry pick your way to any conclusion you like.

It was only selected insomuch as as it was the first one on the list, there are many many more. There is no need for cherry picking the evidence is damning. How about producing some peer reviewed articles which suggest petrol vs diesel is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other WRT toxic emissions?

Lets re-iterate the well accepted facts. Diesels produce less exhaust than petrol engines. Diesel exhaust contains higher concentrations of some pollutants than petrol exhaust but both produce the same pollutants.

Diesels so not produce less exhaust, simply incorrect, size for size a diesel engine prduces considerably more exhaust gas.

I too would like to see particulate filters tested and older vehicles of any description that don't meet current emission standards encouraged into retirement. I think the current VED banding is a nonsense and should be changed.

100% agree

NO2 emission in the UK has been a growing problem from way before diesels became popular - it's related to the growth in traffic and we need to do something about this too.

This is incorrect, the 3 way catalyst as used on any modern spark ignition engine (petrol, lpg, cng) since the 1990's deals with the NO2 emissions very efficiently, the problem we have now really is down the increased number of diesels which have emission control equipment which blatantly doesn't work.
What I don't share is a simplistic notion that a). we can just magic diesels away and b). everything will be much better if we do.

It's a difficult situation we find ourselves in for sure and magic isn't going to solve it. What we could do is tighten up the MOT emission test and get rid of the idiotic VED banding for older vehicles.

How about creating some new MOT standards that stipulate that older vehicles (regardless of fuel type) must not emit more than say 20% above the perscribed limits for PM, NO2, HC etc? That would give owners of these rattly old polluters a choice: pay for some repairs or get it scrapped. Such a measure would rid us of a usefull % of the street level poison. No doubt some would claim it was unfair, some would even claim to be victims of persecution :roll:

What do we think? Would no more than 20% above the standards when the vehicle was sold be reasonable?

I can remember the 70's and 80's when the big problem of the day was lead in petrol. We solved this by putting benzene, the most carcinogenic substance known to man, in petrol. Around the same time we got our knickers in a twist about emissions from petrol engines and the solution was catalytic converters, shame that they're as much use as a chocolate teapot in the UK. After that we decided that CO2 emissions were the big thing and encouraged people to use diesels instead (and we know what you think about that). Now it's NO2 (or is it particulates) that we must get excited about and construct some half buttocked solution that will allow us to carry on with the same unsustainable behaviour.

This is basically an urban myth. Benzene was not added to petrol to replace the lead. Benzene was not added at all, it is a natrual component of crude at circa 4%. I think the myth originates from motoring forums from people who lament the passing of good old 5 star. The aromatic content (including benzene) did increase somewhat post lead because the fuel needed to be more highly refined to resore its octane rating (one of the functions of lead was to boost the octane rating). Contary to the urban myth, exhaust emissions of benzene actually decreased once lead had been removed from the fuel due the the effectiveness of the 3 way catalyst at turning the hydrocarbons in to CO2 and H20. Evaporative emissions were controlled by the carbon cannister.

Any references for your claim that the 3-way catalyst is
as much use as a chocolate teapot in the UK
?????

Air quality in towns is always going to be a problem until you reduce the traffic. It's an enclosed space with too many emissions. If you want an analogy it's this: put your car in the garage and leave the engine running, close the door from the inside, you've got a big problem irrespective of whether it's petrol, diesel, lpg or a hybrid.

Actually the petrol or the LPG car would kill you quickest due to the CO, which diesels don't produce, not that this has any real relevance to the issues in hand.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

reohn2 wrote:In the report there doesn't appear to be a side by side diesel v petrol emissions nasties comparison.
I'm not claiming anything but I'd like to see such a comparison for newer so called 'cleaner burning' diesel engines,any links?
FWIW in towns and cities I find the worst culprits to be buses and taxis,they seem to be the dirtiest vehicles,perhaps due to lax emissions law enforcement in the UK,and their vast mileages/lack of strict maintenance schedules(?)

Nox exactly light reading but: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/2190-4715-25-15.pdf pdf

Also see the Transport for London remote sensing report I linked to earlier.

Agree 100% buses and taxis being the worst culprits. In Hong Kong all taxis by law have to run on LPG. If only we could do the same. As for buses surely trollybuses are due a comeback...
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Mark R wrote:............suggest petrol vs diesel is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other WRT toxic emissions?

I'm not suggesting this. Just that a balanced view and any action needs to take into account the totals of all emissions.

Mark R wrote:'Diesels so not produce less exhaust, simply incorrect, size for size a diesel engine produces considerably more exhaust gas.

We've got a semantics problem here. To achieve the same effective work (i.e. moving the vehicle) a diesel will use less fuel and less intake/exhaust cycles than a petrol engine. I suppose a very flexible definition of exhaust gas will get you where you want though.

Mark R wrote:......the 3 way catalyst as used on any modern spark ignition engine (petrol, lpg, cng) since the 1990's deals with the NO2 emissions very efficiently........................

Unfortunately not so. A cat only works when it reaches it's (high) operating temperature. In the UK where the average ambient temperature is low and the average journey is short for a lot of time they're not working. This is especially bad because when they're not working the engine is producing more emissions than an engine without a cat. They may work well in California but not so well here.

Mark R wrote:......Benzene was not added at all................

When lead was removed from petrol something extra was required to raise the octane level. Civilised countries added MTBFEs (expensive) other countries created petrol with higher levels of benzene. Yes, the cat will remove this from the exhaust if it's got to the 600 degrees or whatever it is it needs to work effectively.

Mark R wrote:Actually the petrol or the LPG car would kill you quickest due to the CO, which diesels don't produce, not that this has any real relevance to the issues in hand.

You're concerned about toxic gases in confined urban settings but Carbon Monoxide doesn't matter?

At the end of the day we both share the view that the VED banding is wrong and that MOT testing should be more rigorous. I just find the current fashion for outrage about diesel a bit manufactured and sanctimonious.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark R wrote:How about producing some peer reviewed articles which suggest petrol vs diesel is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other WRT toxic emissions?

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ncertainty This article, if you have access, or can find it elsewhere, suggests that there is a great deal of uncertainty in making such comparisons.

They did, however consider many external costs of diesel cars versus petrol, and what they found was that if you consider environmental damage and pollution as costs, diesels have higher marginal external costs 'in most cases', but that in low population density areas, diesel cars haver lower marginal external costs than petrol. They don't show a huge difference on the order of which you have proposed. And they go on to say
Particle filters may eliminate the environmental disadvantage of diesels in the near future. Some producers claim that PM emissions of diesel cars with particulate filters are more than 5 times lower than the EURO4 standard and similar to petrol cars. But further scientific study is necessary before advocating the widespread use of particulate filters.

That study is dated, but a newer one from TØI https://www.toi.no/getfile.php?mmfileid=32421 found
Emissions of Particulate Matter (PM) from Euro 5 and Euro 6 light vehicles seems to [be] very small from diesel vehicles having efficient Particulate Traps

On the other hand, they also found that unregulated exhaust components have gone up significantly with newer vehicles.
Mark R wrote:
MartinC wrote:Lets re-iterate the well accepted facts. Diesels produce less exhaust than petrol engines. Diesel exhaust contains higher concentrations of some pollutants than petrol exhaust but both produce the same pollutants.

Diesels so not produce less exhaust, simply incorrect, size for size a diesel engine prduces considerably more exhaust gas.

The TØI report linked above shows that it somewhat depends upon the type of driving, and it depends quite a bit on the vehicle make & model. http://download.springer.com/static/pdf ... ba2303841b also has come information.

Other reports I've seen show that diesels have slightly lower emissions of regulated components. The only studies I could find that definitely showed lower overall emissions for diesels are quite old, 15+ years. I expect that the less stringent standards on diesel emissions have caused a shift, but I'm not sure where it stands overall, and while it seems quite easy to find data comparing specific components (NOx, CO2, etc), it's not clear to me that one or the other necessarily has much higher emissions in something directly comparable, such as g/km emitted substances.

If you have found such data, please post it for everyone's benefit.

Mark R wrote:
NO2 emission in the UK has been a growing problem from way before diesels became popular - it's related to the growth in traffic and we need to do something about this too.

This is incorrect, the 3 way catalyst as used on any modern spark ignition engine (petrol, lpg, cng) since the 1990's deals with the NO2 emissions very efficiently, the problem we have now really is down the increased number of diesels which have emission control equipment which blatantly doesn't work.

Actually, atmospheric NO2 has gone down considerably in the UK

Emissions of nitrogen oxides have fallen by 69 per cent since 1970, to 0.95 million tonnes in 2014.
 There was a decrease in 2014 compared to 2013 by 8.4 per cent. There has been a downward trend since the 1990s but the rate of reduction has slowed since the large decreases seen in the years 2008 and 2009.
from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... al__2_.pdf

If you want a source with less spin http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images ... %20air.pdf states that levels of NO2 are down from the 1980s, but still exceed legal limits.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Mark R wrote:......the 3 way catalyst as used on any modern spark ignition engine (petrol, lpg, cng) since the 1990's deals with the NO2 emissions very efficiently........................

Unfortunately not so. A cat only works when it reaches it's (high) operating temperature. In the UK where the average ambient temperature is low and the average journey is short for a lot of time they're not working. This is especially bad because when they're not working the engine is producing more emissions than an engine without a cat. They may work well in California but not so well here.

So cold start emissions are higher, that is the same for diesels as it was for pre catalyst cars. How many miles does a 3-way catalyst take to get up to temp (These days the catalyst light off time is measured in seconds not minutes)?

How many miles for a diesel oxidation catalyst? The main difference is that the diesel oxidation catalyst doesn't work well hot or cold (the reason many modern diesels still stink). To suggest the 3 way catalyst is effective in california but not in the UK is dubious in the extreme.

Mark R wrote:......Benzene was not added at all................

When lead was removed from petrol something extra was required to raise the octane level. Civilised countries added MTBFEs (expensive) other countries created petrol with higher levels of benzene....

I guess you mean MBTE, which is also toxic. Anyway...

Well the 'they took the lead out and replaced it with benzene' is indeed a huge urban myth. While lead was still being added was the benzene content of petrol higher or lower than it is today? I'll let you do the research on that one.
Mark R wrote:Actually the petrol or the LPG car would kill you quickest due to the CO, which diesels don't produce, not that this has any real relevance to the issues in hand.

You're concerned about toxic gases in confined urban settings but Carbon Monoxide doesn't matter?

Did I say that Carbon Monoxide doesn't matter?

We should add that one to the bottom of the straw man list..

Oh, now it's the European Motor Industry (whatever that is in a global economy) not just the motor industry. So. It's not all pollution that's a problem, just NO2. It's not pollution anywhere that's a problem just pollution in London streets. It's not all vehicles that are the problem but just diesel ones. It's not the motor industry that's a problem but the 'European' one.....You're concerned about toxic gases in confined urban settings but Carbon Monoxide doesn't matter

I feel like am am banging the drum for petrol here, when in actual fact (if we must use internal combustion engines) we would be better off using gaseous fules such as LPG and CNG. However compared to diesel, petrol is infinitely preferable from a public health perspective.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Petrol is not preferable from a public health perspective if you live in a flood prone part of the world, like the Maldives or Bangladesh. A simple return to petrol would add to global warming, and people would be harmed by its effects. Better air in London, starvation in Bangladesh? A bit crude and speculative, but that is the sort of trade off that a return to petrol might just mean. I would not jump in that direction without first giving it some thought.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Vorpal wrote:Emissions of nitrogen oxides have fallen by 69 per cent since 1970, to 0.95 million tonnes in 2014.
 There was a decrease in 2014 compared to 2013 by 8.4 per cent. There has been a downward trend since the 1990s but the rate of reduction has slowed since the large decreases seen in the years 2008 and 2009.

The overall reduction is NO2 is no thanks to the diesel engine, in fact the 'downward trend since the 1990's' correlates neatly with the introduction of the 3-way catalyst for spark ignition engines.

AKAIK the only diesel tech to control NO2 with any real effectiveness is the selective catalytic reduction system which injects urea into the exhaust and reacts the NOx into nitrogen and water.

Euro6 diesel cars are meant to include this (except VW of course). There is still the incentive for manufacturers to cheat they system, just so the poor driver doesn't have the inconvenience of refilling the urea tank so often.

Question: What do we think the correct policy response is to the unknown number of modern diesels driving round with the particulate filter removed?
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

pwa wrote:Petrol is not preferable from a public health perspective if you live in a flood prone part of the world, like the Maldives or Bangladesh. A simple return to petrol would add to global warming, and people would be harmed by its effects. Better air in London, starvation in Bangladesh? A bit crude and speculative, but that is the sort of trade off that a return to petrol might just mean. I would not jump in that direction without first giving it some thought.

That depends whether you think petrol vs diesel has any relevance whatsoever from a global warming perspective.

You are adding in the global warming potential of all that NO2 which diesels are now known to produce?

I personally think it is neither here nor there. Active travel on the other hand has the potential to make a major difference. So why poison the air in our towns and cities and make walking and cycling unpleasant and potentially unhealthy.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mark R wrote:
pwa wrote:Petrol is not preferable from a public health perspective if you live in a flood prone part of the world, like the Maldives or Bangladesh. A simple return to petrol would add to global warming, and people would be harmed by its effects. Better air in London, starvation in Bangladesh? A bit crude and speculative, but that is the sort of trade off that a return to petrol might just mean. I would not jump in that direction without first giving it some thought.

That depends whether you think petrol vs diesel has any relevance whatsoever from a global warming perspective.

You are adding in the global warming potential of all that NO2 which diesels are now known to produce?

I personally think it is neither here nor there. Active travel on the other hand has the potential to make a major difference. So why poison the air in our towns and cities and make walking and cycling unpleasant and potentially unhealthy.

I'm sure there is a lot to consider here, and I don't have a ready solution. But I do think Global Warming is an even bigger threat to human health than toxic substances in the air, and I don't want governments to come up with solutions that solve the problem of air quality in cities but add to the even worse problem of climate change. I want governments to react with careful consideration and not just lunge towards a solution that turns out to be a bad choice.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Japan has strict rules about who can own a car (you have to own off-road parking space), many additional taxes on ownership and use and a very efficient public transport system in urban areas. If those measures were first introduced in the UK, I am sure it would have a marked improvement on our air quality; probably more than converting all cars to diesel. The political backlash of trying to introduce either would of course be huge.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Actually Jappn has more cars per 1000 people (588) than the UK (519). However, more than 1.1 million of those are hybrid cars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

The Japenese also have some extremely cool cycling infastructure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7juWamiWY