Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution

meic

Re: Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution

Post by meic »

I do get things delivered and there are probably about 40 or so packages on board (my last one was drop 33). However last time that I took the car to town I bought more than 33 or 40 things.
Rather mundanely I wanted a pair of wellies that dont fold over when you take them off, which meant actually seeing them before buying, also as it turned out the sizes were much too mean and I needed a bigger pair than I expected. I also took four pannier's worth of bottles to the bottle bank and bought a month's supply of full ones back. I also deposited a small girl with her mother for a few days, two supermarkets visited for a stockpiling of non-perishable supplies.
Unfortunately when you order something, you dont even know which day it will be delivered on and even lazy folk such as myself have to go out to work sometimes. Waiting in all day for a package isnt really a sustainable way to live life.

The car is used for lugging things around that cant just go on a bicycle and normally would be too much for me to carry in one go, which makes connections through public transport impractical. If I am being lazy (normally in bad weather) and take the car to town without need to carry a load, I do normally park on the outskirts and walk everywhere in town, rather than driving to the centre or even worse between locations in town. More because I cant stand waiting in traffic, paying for parking and watching the car's mpg figures going down than because I am worried about the townies' respiratory problems. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I give up :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

High court has just ruled the UK govt's plans to tackle air pollution are inadequate and unlawful....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-illegal
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Great! Another nail in Heathrow's coffin..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Could we try and get through a forum post without a conspiracy theory.
As said earlier its all smoke and mirrors while the "paraffin budgies" are burning tons and tons of low quality kerosene above our heads every day.
But how will all the cyclists get away on their cycling holidays to Tenerife this winter ........
I would like to be pointed to the study that quantifies how much of our air pollution in cities has drifted down from on high.

Don't you dare say it blows away !!!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

I would like to be pointed to the study that quantifies how much of our air pollution in cities has drifted down from on high.

That shouldnt be too hard, about half of Heathrow's traffic comes along the air corridor right over here.
So our pollution levels would represent the pollution levels that London is exposed to due to its air traffic. I can confirm with a quick breath of nice fresh air, that is insignificant compared to the smug and filth of London.

The next question is, is air traffic a city pollution problem or a climate change pollution problem?
Yma o Hyd
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Question on political strategy rather than a conspiracy theory,

since the laws that have been broken are set by the European Union doesn't the Government just needs to 'kick the can down the road' for a couple of years and then get rid of the laws that have been broken (laws otherwise known as red tape)?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

From a partisan perspective how about burnt kero pollution in sheffield ?
And could we just keep to normal font issues and leave out italics for a bit.
Unless your saying the climate change is actually responsible for the rise in diesel and kero particulates ..... which is baffling me somewhat
I would suspect some of the actually tonnage of burnt kero you can smell at Heathrow was produced elsewhere, if the winds in the right direction it may be all coming from Stanstead, or Gatwick mayhap.
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tom Richardson wrote:Question on political strategy rather than a conspiracy theory,

since the laws that have been broken are set by the European Union doesn't the Government just needs to 'kick the can down the road' for a couple of years and then get rid of the laws that have been broken (laws otherwise known as red tape)?

My thoughts too.
They're not contesting the judgement,because they won't need to when brexit means brexit,or when pollution means no pollution :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

But what benefit would it be to any country or its government to ignore severe air pollution, which it will have to raise funds to treat, via the NHS, when it could just say, .. No more Diesels ?? ...
Until children start dying of cancer caused by burning petrol or as already pointed out, the dangerous effects of burning wood ( the bio mass pellets we use in our "green" power stations.) Imported from thousands of miles away by HUGE diesel engined ships ..... you could not make this up >>>>
We are only burning disproportionate amounts of diesel to help reduce climate change ... because ??????
We are the planets first , and possibly last "Own goal society" .....
Be more Mike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:

That shouldnt be too hard, about half of Heathrow's traffic comes along the air corridor right over here.
So our pollution levels would represent the pollution levels that London is exposed to due to its air traffic. I can confirm with a quick breath of nice fresh air, that is insignificant compared to the smug and filth of London....

On TV this evening (and elsewhere) I've read that the greater problems with air pollution from Heathrow is from the ground (car) traffic created by the airport. No idea how true that is as I'm just repeating it.

e.g.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37566361 wrote:Prof Rod Jones from the University of Cambridge told the BBC: "If there is the development of a third runway, we expect there to be a marginal increase in NO2 coming from the airport itself, but that would be against the background of reduced NO2 from other traffic, because of Euro 6 engines and electrification of the traffic fleet."
In other words, it comes down to traffic on the roads, rather than planes in the air, because that is where the bulk of the poisonous nitrogen dioxide gases come from.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:But what benefit would it be to any country or its government to ignore severe air pollution, which it will have to raise funds to treat, via the NHS, when it could just say, .. No more Diesels ?? ...
Until children start dying of cancer caused by burning petrol or as already pointed out, the dangerous effects of burning wood ( the bio mass pellets we use in our "green" power stations.) Imported from thousands of miles away by HUGE diesel engined ships ..... you could not make this up >>>>
We are only burning disproportionate amounts of diesel to help reduce climate change ... because ??????
We are the planets first , and possibly last "Own goal society" .....

Why, then, has the government been (almost) ignoring pollution since the Great Smog?

Children already die from pollution related illnesses, and so do thousands of other people.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

And could we just keep to normal font issues and leave out italics for a bit.

I'll try but they are the only way of showing emphasis in the typed word that I know. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

meic wrote:Rather mundanely I wanted a pair of wellies that dont fold over when you take them off, which meant actually seeing them n town. :

Fascinating I must have had 40 pairs of wellies in my adult life and never had any that fold over. Thinking they might have their uses though. As I've always taken mine off at the back door and if ever you forget to lay them over they get wet inside.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Vorpal wrote:Why, then, has the government been (almost) ignoring pollution since the Great Smog?

Children already die from pollution related illnesses, and so do thousands of other people.

So the Clean Air Act, The Factories Act and Health & Safety guidelines and many more government enacted attempts to reduce air pollution are all fantasies ?

And children and thousands of others die of primary cause air pollution?

How has any goverment, of any party, got away with this murder of it's population unnoticed ?
Be more Mike.