Cuts coming to train bike spaces

Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cuts coming to train bike spaces

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Arriva took over in late 2007, I think: the Voyagers came into service in 2000/2001.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Surely such commuter trains should have at least flexible space for use in off peak times when cyclists would represent additional customers, possibly paying extra...
EDIT Such flexible space could even be bookable,....

The isssue is not with commuter trains but trains serving long distance including connections to the inner and outer hebrides and to Fort William dont see that much change elsewhere.

ThePinkOne wrote:
A lot of rolling stock is needed in peak hours for commuters, which is then not used the rest of the time.

One of the routes with the new restrictions is the Glasgow to Oban, have you ever used it? I can't see how your long post about the needs of commuters applies, there's only a few trains a day and not many of them are even within commuting times, local Glasgow commuters are better served by other services. In this instance it's a lack of will rather than a lack of facility.

+1 I really dont think many of the contributers have a clue about the nature of the services affected when I have been on them there have been spare seats but the cycle space has been booked out for weeks and luggage stuffed into every corner including the drivers cab at the rear of the train. I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the actual provision for commuter services is not to change significantly most have only 2 spaces at present.

I realy dont find discussion on the capacities of individual train type used elsewhere is relevant they have not started work on the interiors new trains yet change is possible it is a problem of Abellios priorities.
drossall

Post by drossall »

iviehoff wrote:Commuter trains in Scotland, and indeed most of Britain outside London, are much more empty than the equivalent services into London. There is absolutely no reason to discourage cyclists from using commuter trains off-peak in Scotland, which should include against-the-peak.

Taking note of lowrider's point that it's not about commuter trains, but even on our commuter line into Kings Cross, you can take bikes against the flow in rush hour.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

a wee follow up on Haymarket (Edinburgh). The new cycle park is almost full today: https://twitter.com/Daisynmurphy/status/723121224193323008. Thinking about it, I can't remember nearly as many bikes locked up around the station before.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Bike space in trains has steadily decreased ever since we started hearing about the need to save the planet and to have wonderful cycling facilities as part of the effort to do so.

In Manchester the trams that replaced cycling carrying trains in 1992 banned bicycles and still do.

The latest new lines replacing cycle carrying trains to Rochdale and Oldham ban cycles too.

All the campaigning has been pointless.
drossall

Post by drossall »

You can never quite say that because it does not follow that we would have even what we do without the campaigning. It may have been a very successful rear-guard action, whilst still losing ground.

However, it seems to me that views are very dependent on where you live. Here, north of London, we can take folders freely into town in the rush hour, and full bikes nearly everywhere else (including in rush hour "against the flow"). I'm not sure how much more we could ask for. I do realise that it's not like that in all places.
Winders

Post by Winders »

Edinburgh recently trialled letting bikes on their trams off-peak. Apparently it was successful and they're planning on expanding it? If so, it might be worth lobbying your local tram network to change their policies.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
PH

Post by PH »

blackbike wrote:Bike space in trains has steadily decreased ever since we started hearing about the need to save the planet and to have wonderful cycling facilities as part of the effort to do so.

Would that be about the same time as privatisation? Coincidence?