Charity rides aimed at irregular cyclists & perceptions

Flinders

Re: Charity rides aimed at irregular cyclists & perceptions

Post by Flinders »

Cunobelin wrote:We helped organise a ride round Portsmouth Harbour as part of National Bike Week

First year 50 riders, year 2 and about 200, year 3 and good weather 600

It was free, fun and the diversity was part of the fun, that third year I spent several hours supporting a family who had intended to do a short route and ended up doing the whole thing. If you ever need to ask... Their faces and sense of achievement are what made these rides worthwhile

Then it was taken over by the BHF as a formal sponsored event

Totally ruined the original and successful promotional concept

The BHF are a pain in the backside for walkers too. They have practically colonised the Yorkshire 3 peaks. We were doing Whernside once and got filthy looks from the stewards because we were just doing it for fun, whilst the sponsored lot, many clearly not fit enough, blocked the paths four abreast and had radios on full blast. I won't give the BHF any money at all now; I regard them as arrogant and irresponsible.

As a result I will no longer sponsor anyone doing something which is something most people would consider was fun. If they want my money for sponsorship, they can spend a few hours doing something constructive, like helping disabled people by doing work in their homes, or help a local hospital do some necessary work.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I remember the CTC mag carrying an entry form for a charity ride.
To enter you had to accept the statement "I agree cycling is a dangerous activity" :?
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

I'm one of those people who needs the assistance of a pedelec to be able to enjoy cycling (dicky ticker and two very dodgy knees due to health problems that won't get better), so for me 40-50 miles is my upper limit.

For charity rides I'm not going to knock people doing "short" distances, I volunteer with the Air Ambulance Service (two local air ambulances, Warks & Northants and Derbyshire Leicestershire & Rutland plus the Children's Air Ambulance) in their office and every little helps.

What does harm cycling IMHO is looking down on what others do, might not be a popular standpoint.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlanJ wrote:I'm one of those people who needs the assistance of a pedelec to be able to enjoy cycling (dicky ticker and two very dodgy knees due to health problems that won't get better), so for me 40-50 miles is my upper limit.

And how do you feel about being banned from any charity fundraising ride listed on the British Cycling sportive website?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

mjr wrote:
AlanJ wrote:I'm one of those people who needs the assistance of a pedelec to be able to enjoy cycling (dicky ticker and two very dodgy knees due to health problems that won't get better), so for me 40-50 miles is my upper limit.

And how do you feel about being banned from any charity fundraising ride listed on the British Cycling sportive website?

Are electric bikes banned from sportives? Why would that be so?
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

mjr wrote:

I'm not banned from them though. I always check with the organisers to be doubly sure and always got told it is fine. None of them are races so I'm not getting an unfair advantage over anyone.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SGP311 using hovercraft full of eels.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mark1978 wrote:
mjr wrote:And how do you feel about being banned from any charity fundraising ride listed on the British Cycling sportive website?

Yes, they are (the notorious British Cycling Non-Competitive Event Guidelines require it, section 1.5) and I've no idea why: the relevant BC managers stopped talking to me before I even started asking why they ban e-bikes and recumbents. That excludes even more disabled people than what I was querying - sometimes including past and possible future beneficiaries of the organising charity, which is a gross insult IMO.

If anyone thinks CUK has a lack of diversity and isn't very inclusive or responsive, I think you'll be horrified by BC and they seem to be involved in more and more charity rides.

AlanJ wrote:I'm not banned from them though. I always check with the organisers to be doubly sure and always got told it is fine. None of them are races so I'm not getting an unfair advantage over anyone.

I wonder if the organisers actually got BC to approve it, or if they invalidated their insurance by letting you ride.

Also, having to beg each time isn't equality IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

AlanJ wrote:None of them are races so I'm not getting an unfair advantage over anyone.

Exactly, they aren't. But so many people seem to think they are, including organisers who give out 'medals' gold, silver or bronze according to your finishing time.

Being graded on your finishing time is a bit silly anyway when you've spent some time at the feedstations anyway!
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

mjr wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:
mjr wrote:And how do you feel about being banned from any charity fundraising ride listed on the British Cycling sportive website?

Yes, they are (the notorious British Cycling Non-Competitive Event Guidelines require it, section 1.5) and I've no idea why: the relevant BC managers stopped talking to me before I even started asking why they ban e-bikes and recumbents. That excludes even more disabled people than what I was querying - sometimes including past and possible future beneficiaries of the organising charity, which is a gross insult IMO.

If anyone thinks CUK has a lack of diversity and isn't very inclusive or responsive, I think you'll be horrified by BC and they seem to be involved in more and more charity rides.

AlanJ wrote:I'm not banned from them though. I always check with the organisers to be doubly sure and always got told it is fine. None of them are races so I'm not getting an unfair advantage over anyone.

I wonder if the organisers actually got BC to approve it, or if they invalidated their insurance by letting you ride.

Also, having to beg each time isn't equality IMO.

Sorry but where did I say I had to beg? Don't twist my words please.

AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Just read section 1.5, that does seem different from what I've been told but without the pedelec I'd be barred anyway because I doubt I'd be able to do more than 5 miles.

mjr

Post by mjr »

AlanJ wrote:Sorry but where did I say I had to beg? Don't twist my words please.

I'm not twisting your words. You call it "check", but I call it "beg". That's my word for it. I never said it was yours.

Either way, it's an extra step that "normal" people don't have to take, so most will go and do something less unwelcoming instead. It's clear that we're not wanted and that we don't fit the ideal shown in the BC Guidelines book of lycra-clad sporting wannabes hurtling along all in the drops or on the hoods.
fionat

Post by fionat »

I think, when you're cycling regularly, it's easy to lose touch with just how unfit many people are.

In 2006, I was doing no exercise at all. A friend encouraged me to sign up for L2B, so I did. My first cycle ride was about two miles, and I had to stop for repeated rests. After a few weeks, I managed to cycle 4 miles to the next town - very slightly uphill - to visit my mum. I arrived in such a state of breathlessness that it was all I could do to persuade her that she didn't need to call an ambulance! It took around two months to get to doing 10 miles, but from there I built up quite quickly. I did the L2B in June, and enjoyed it so much that I signed up for the 80 mile Oxford to Cambridge later in the year. The following year I did my first 100 miles, then a couple of years later did Lejog.

I've had a lot on the last year or so, and my fitness has slipped again - so I've signed up for a charity 50 miler to motivate myself to get back out on my bike.

So I do think that charity events are good for getting people started, encouraging them to keep going, and providing motivation in the form of 'goals', as well as raising money for good causes.

I know my local CTC/CyclingUK group includes many members who are retired or semi-retired, and devote much of their leisure time to cycling. When you're working and have a family, it can be hard to get out for even an hour a week to fit in 10 or so miles. If you're good at something, it's a mistake to think it must be easy - the truth is that if you're regularly cycling 40 miles+, you're a heck of a lot fitter than the vast majority of people out there, so give yourself a pat on the back, and be encouraging and understanding to others who may still be some way behind you on their journey.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

fionat wrote:I think, when you're cycling regularly, it's easy to lose touch with just how unfit many people are.

That's about the size of it, or at least cycle-fit.

The typical 21st Century adult Brit hasn't ridden a bike for years. 30 miles for such a person is a big effort and given they'll not be used to a saddle, and probably won't have a good one, they probably will be walking somewhat strangely at the conclusion and be stiff for a couple of days afterwards.

I've never entirely bought in to the idea that someone doing this sort of thing and suffering, or for established cyclists going on their dream holiday, is any reason for me to part with cash. I have standing orders to and renewing memberships of various charities (CTC included) so it's nothing to do with being tight, but if a good cause needs money I'll decide to give it money or not according to the cause, not that someone wants to ride/walk so many miles or sit in a vat of custard or whatever for so many hours. I probably lose some Being British Points there. Sorry.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I refuse to 'sponsor' anyone for anything. I particularly dislike the practice of getting cheap holidays climbing Kilimanjaro etc supposedly for charity and begging for money to pay for it. As for sponsored cycling - why? It just classifies cycling as some sort of wierd pursuit which it isnt.
Giving money to good causes is everyones personal gift. I believe everyone should give to causes (or not) as they wish in a considered way. I give the most respect to folk who give their time, they are the real heros.

Street beggars get short shrift from me, why give to someone who will probably pee the gift up the wall? Give the Sally Army or somesuch if you really want to help the homeless. Some are frauds anyway. Humbug!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I don't see the problem with sponsoring anyone to do anything. It's just a way of encouraging people to make charitable donations after all. As long as 100% of your donation is going to the charity and not to cover any of the expenses of the event itself.