Podium Girls

honesty

Re: Podium Girls

Post by honesty »

Bicycler wrote:Weird coincidence but this short news item has just appeared in my Facebook News Feed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wbp84

Which just goes to show when you anonymize people the split between sex tends towards population levels. Or to put it another way without the social expectations applied men and women are equally arses. ;)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'm not sure it is anonymity that does it. I've long observed that women seem to scrutinise each others' looks and actions much more closely than men scrutinise them.

As for anonymity, it has its plusses and minuses. Social expectations keep order but they also restrict our liberty. Overall, I'm quite content that the internet is a haven for anonymity and pseudonymity (is that a word?) despite the sometimes rather large negative consequences of those freedoms. I think I'm heading into even further thread drift territory here :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Freddie wrote:
You have done two things consistently, be ill mannered and wilfully misrepresent my arguments. Neither are valid forms of debate.

Nor is argumentum ad hominem. Please don't.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Related to misogynistic texts. I've noticed in everyday life that its accepted for women to call men [various rude words for the male sexual organ and its recreational use] etc, all likening them to their genitals or activities viewed in society as only performed by the inadequate. Yet if i use the C word, to describe someone women either faint or become really upset and angry saying its a most offensive word and never to use it. But its only referencing the same area but on a female. :?

The one show has just had an item on anorexia, so thats two things that have appeared in the media. This forum must spark ideas.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Apologies, for not copying and pasting ....

TrailBeater - you might never have seen a female jogger or cyclist being abused, but because you've never seen it doesn't means it doesn't happen. I'd say I get abuse of some sort perhaps three rides in 10. Usually from out of a car.......so even were I inclined to react, they'd be long gone. Such brave boys (yes, it IS always men) hurling abuse at a middle-aged female unable to do anything in response.

Meic - I know we don't agree, but I'd just like to say I did see a podium ceremony, very early on. The podium girl didn't just give the winner a chaste peck on the cheek, she draped herself all over him, with her chest almost in his face. He looked very uncomfortable (it was the rider in the white jersey at the time). I haven't watched a ceremony since, but that's basically why I object to the way the podium girls are being told to behave.

Old Windbag - yes, women can and do swear, but I'd say far less than men do. Hubby uses all those words you asterisk - I don't. As for the C word - as a woman, I find that particular word with its sexual connotation very offensive. I'm not sure men feel so strongly about the others. You may disagree.

Jan
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

jan19 wrote: As for the C word - as a woman, I find that particular word with its sexual connotation very offensive.

Thats interesting Jan19 you have the reaction I've found from pretty well every woman. It's a strange one. I think germaine greer is ok with it, sure she did a piece on tv about. On a lighter note, Larry David in "Curb your enthusiasm" had an episode that ended off centred around an incident involving that word........ it was actually very funny indeed, basically a newspaper death notice for a beloved aunt that had an unfortunate typo.

I must admit feeling happier in the company of women who swear or tolerate it without fuss. I can be good as gold but in the right company will swear like a trooper. It takes the pressure away knowing you can do so without issue. I've worked with so many people whose every other word was an expletive, but they were good honest down to earh people.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Apologies again for not cutting and pasting......am on a geriatric PC at my Mum's......

Old Windbag -

I suspect you and I wouldn't be too comfortable in each other's company. I hate swearing. I never swear myself, and am uncomfortable when others do around me. Please don't think I'm a prude, but I find swearing a very crude way of putting a point across.

That doesn't mean I think other people shouldn't swear. Its up to them.

Interesting you find most women react as I do to the C word though.....

Jan
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

I would not suggest that it does not happen jan19,just I have never saw it.
So for people to say they have saw it countless times is baffling.To me that is.
I get the feeling you would have to go out readily looking for it.Which I never have.
For some people,being offended and looking to be offended gives them a weird satisfaction.
Like the website about mysogyny previously posted on here.
In fact by the looks of the first page,it was a lot to do with gender inequality in religion.
I mean,some women being offended when the chair lifting was left to men.
That's looking for any excuse to be offended.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'd advise people offended by the word never to see the Vagina Monologues. Or Shakespeare's Hamlet or Twelfth Night. But, yes, the excessive swearing in our society is tiresome at best. I despair of the number of highly educated young adults on my Facebook who slip into a stream of swear words when making an argument. Maybe politics these days is just too aggressive and polarised, or maybe it's just the way some people now write. I don't like it. Swearing has its place but not as punctuation or a needlessly aggressive way of wording arguments.

One great thing about the CTC Forum, whether we regard its members as reactionary dinosaurs or right-on leftie types is that we are blessed with numerous contributors capable of constructing a coherent argument without resorting to outright abuse and foul language.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Freddie wrote:
pjclinch wrote:The problem (again) is that in a society that treats women as a whole in a second class manner (and ours does), things that contribute to a perception that women are mainly for e.g. decoration and getting refreshments are damaging.

I know that is a common feminist line, but you can't back that up. I gave an example of women getting special dispensation and special grants PURELY for women in STEM, did you read that? Do you disbelieve it is true?

Vorpal has not been able to find male specific grants, because they do not exist.

If you have any children that want to go into this field, currently your daughters would be given special preference. Is it fair for your son/s to pay the price for the apparent sins of their father?

Actually, there are valid and scientifically supported arguments on both sides of the objectification theory. Even feminists stand on both sides of this argument. I'm inclined to believe that the objectificiation of women is problematic, but it is a symptom, rather than a cause.
As for backing it up... https://www.apa.org/education/ce/sexual ... cation.pdf has numerous references.
http://www.mybodybeautiful.co.uk/Sexual ... _Page1.htm also states the cases (near the end) for a couple of leading feminists who don't think objectification is a problem whatsoever.

Male specific grants certainly exist in other countries with similar culture, such as the USA, Canada, and Australia. That I haven't found any in the UK may only represent that I don't have hours to research the topic, rather than that they don't exist. Though, I'm not sure that I follow how young men are 'paying the price'. Because a relatively small percentage of young women are able to take advantage of grants that young men don't have access to? Even though I don't think that gender should necessarily be defined, I do generally think that it is reasonable to offer additional assistance to underrepresented groups. In some cases, it doesn't do nearly enough to counteract the societal pressure and tradition that currently prevents many young people from pursuing careers in fields dominated primarily by one sex.

How about alimony payments in divorce settlements, these are predicated on the man's earnings, not what the woman would likely have earnt had she not been married. John Cleese's ex-wives get to live in the lap of luxury, because they have to live a lifestyle equivalent to what they did when they were married to him. That's a funny kind of equality. What about the fact that any time a relationship splits, the women, unless she is severely violent or mentally disturbed, gets to retain custody of the children. The children, of course, have little say, because women have more rights than children, but very few are concerned by that. What about the fact that male domestic violence doesn't exist, as far as the media and government funding is concerned, yet women commit 2/3 of the violence towards men that is committed by men towards women:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010 ... c-violence

That is no more equality than the discrimination against women is. There are no circumstances under which I would argue for that kind of discrimination, nor suggest that it is right. There is some misinformation there, though. *maintenance* payments are based upon the difference in earnings. In theory, at least, it is the higher earner, not necessarily the man which makes these payments. John Cleese has high maintenance payments because he makes lots of money. In general, I don't think maintenance payments are fair, thought I can imagine exceptions. I do think that both parents should be responsible for the burden of raising children. I also think custody should generally be shared; that is, each parent has equal right to see and live with their children. The law changed recently on that matter. http://www.familylives.org.uk/about/new ... ing-rules/

But is it really relevant to the argument about whether there should be podium girls? Or even the more general question of the objectification of women?

That doesn't matter though. You are a man, you have to be strong; they are women, they must be protected. You cannot see the situation in a reasonable manner, because you have been trained to suppress your want for equality and fairness for yourself and other men, on the basis that women are a special group, not an equal one.

Is he really? It seems to me that is he is merely arguing for equality for a somehwat different perspective than yours. Where has he suggested that women deserve any sort of special treatment?

I could go on and on about real, structural societal differences that affect men in the negative. It is demonstrative of feminism's success that feminists (both male and female) want to curtail the rights of women to do something the harms no one, but they find displeasing, even though a woman is free to choose whether to do it or not. Obviously there are no areas where women are discriminated against any more, so in the absence of any discrimination, female feminists (and their fellow male ideologues) have started to discriminate against women themselves. I suppose they would claim this is positive discrimination and therefore exempt from the scorn and scrutiny of discrimination they would consider negative.

This is where feminism and old fashioned male and female roles overlap. Wherever women are doing something that feminism thinks is wrong, then they should not be free to do it. Wherever men think women should be protected, even from themselves, then gender stereotypes are acceptable, according to feminism.

I don't think anyone wants to curtail the rights of women. And I have never heard a feminist state that women should be protected, nor that where men protect women, feminists think that's okay. Frankly I know quite a few feminists who would be rather... irritated at the suggestion that they need or wnat any kind of protection.

I think that biggest negative in our society for both men and women is the lack of equality and egality. I disagree that there are no areas where women are discriminated against. Whilst discrimination is extremely difficult to prove, there is ample evidence that it does exist.

You also can't just lump feminists in together and say feminists want this or that, because (as shown in the links above), feminists don't agree about all of this stuff.

To be precise, 'feminism' doesn't think; there is no corporeal existence. Feminists are people with a hugely diverse set of attitudes and thoughts about what feminism means.

jan19 wrote:After all, its just eye-candy isn't it, just a piece of fun? And those of us who find it uncomfortable are dismissed as feminists, or pc-mad, or just trying to impose our morality on others.
Correct, to the latter. Do you suggest that women have no agency, except when told they have agency by feminists or likeminded folk? They only have agency when they are doing something which is acceptable to the ideology of feminism, but not otherwise?

Si wrote:Just because someone from a particular group might enjoy a particular role doesn't mean the existence of that role is good for the group as a whole.
So women shouldn't be free to pursue a safe, well paid and enjoyable position, because you say it harms other women. Will you prove it?

Does an adult woman not represent herself as an autonomous being or is it only men who have autonomy? A rather misogynist viewpoint if there ever was one (or chivalrous, as long as you are denouncing podium girls - so says feminism).

I will say it again, for all those who haven't read or processed it yet:

Who is forcing them to do it, who is stopping them from leaving if they are unhappy; can you be forced to do something you are happy to do anyway? I always assumed being happy to do something required a will to do it in the first instance, in which case will precedes any force.

Did anyone denounce podium girls? I don't think so... just the custom. I've said it before, and I'm sure that I will say it again. I have no problem wiht people putting their bodies on display. But there is currently a big difference in how men's bodies are put on display versus how women's bodies are put on display. It's those differences I would like to see changed. I doubt that we will ever get agreement on whether the display of bodies is appropriate because some people are likely to feel uncomfortable about it or take a more conservative approach, whilst others will be at the other extreme.

Do you know that men commit suicide suicide at about three times that rate of women in the UK? It is mostly seen amongst men between the ages of 14 and 45. Does this not speak to a much larger issue than men are facing. If it is so terrible for women, why is their suicide rate (thankfully) three times lower? What is causing men to kill themselves? A lack of concern in the media and general population about male mental health, domestic violence committed against them, discrimination against males, societal pressures they face?...these must be some of the reasons behind the staggering disparity.

Society expects men to be strong and, of recent, society has demanded that women are equal to men, whilst provided more and more things purely for the benefit of women (female specific grants, as just a single example out of many).

Women, as a group, have been in the ascendant for a long time, but is there no cost involved to men? If there is, should we care?

Statistics don't tell all. Did you know that more women than men *attempt* suicide, but men are more likely to be successful because there are significant gender differences in the means. http://www.jad-journal.com/article/S016 ... 2/abstract

No one has said there is no cost to men. But IMO, the cost to men and women both is in the inequality in society.

As for women being in the ascendant, I hope so, but men are still at the top, and I think we've got a ways to go before women get there, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Postby Trail Beater » 26 May 2016, 9:44pm

I would not suggest that it does not happen jan19,just I have never saw it.
So for people to say they have saw it countless times is baffling.To me that is.
I get the feeling you would have to go out readily looking for it.Which I never have.

No I'm just commuting to and from work! Minding my own business. To say I'm "going out readily looking for it" is frankly, ridiculous. Why on earth would I go out looking for abuse?

Has it never occurred to you that you don't get abuse because you're male?

Jan
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

jan19 wrote:Has it never occurred to you that you don't get abuse because you're male?
But do you not think that abuse is not specific only to women; whilst you may get female specific abuse (comments about your looks, sexism), men get male specific abuse (aggression and more general abuse). There are plenty of reports on here of drivers being aggressive to male cyclists, but obviously male drivers are not going to do it in a sexual fashion (well, 99 times out of 100).

What makes you think you are being singled out because you are a woman? I think you are singled out because you are a "bloody cyclist" and what follows from there, right or wrong, is determined by your sex.

I imagine nobody has ever stopped their car to attempt to punch you; that would be one benefit of being female, far less likelihood of physical assault. I can assure you men face that kind of thing whilst cycling (not to mention elsewhere) at a higher rate than women.

While words are unpleasant, it is difficult to argue a smack in the mouth is not worse still.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

But do you not think that abuse is not specific only to women; whilst you may get female specific abuse (comments about your looks, sexism), men get male specific abuse (aggression and more general abuse). There are plenty of reports on here of drivers being aggressive to male cyclists, but obviously male drivers are not going to do it in a sexual fashion (well, 99 times out of 100).

Why do you think that's confined to male cyclists? I've had plenty of aggression directed at me. I've had drivers try to force me off the road more than once.

What makes you think you are being singled out because you are a woman? I think you are singled out because you are a "bloody cyclist" and what follows from there, right or wrong, is determined by your sex.

I don't. I just think I get much more of the low level abuse because I'm a woman. Hubby almost never gets the abuse hurled out of a car. But he's moving much faster than I do, and there's a distinct possibility that he could catch a car up at the next set of lights. Those brave boys who are happy to hurl abuse at 5' nothing me might think twice before they hurl it at a 6' something very fit male.

I imagine nobody has ever stopped their car to attempt to punch you; that would be one benefit of being female

Then you'd imagine wrong. I once confronted a lorry driver who'd swung the end of his trailer in front of me. He'd overtaken me, but misjudged his clearance distance, and I was forced to jump my bike onto the pavement to avoid him. I was incensed - he could easily have killed me - and confronted him at the next set of lights. He got out of his cab , and would have swung a punch at me if I hadn't - very obviously - looked round at the people waiting at a nearby bus stop. Bear in mind I'm just 5' tall. Being small and female is no protection.

Jan
meic

Post by meic »

Meic - I know we don't agree, but I'd just like to say I did see a podium ceremony, very early on. The podium girl didn't just give the winner a chaste peck on the cheek, she draped herself all over him, with her chest almost in his face. He looked very uncomfortable (it was the rider in the white jersey at the time). I haven't watched a ceremony since, but that's basically why I object to the way the podium girls are being told to behave.

It would have made me uncomfortable too, especially if I had a girlfriend who was watching it.
However I do see that as a bit of a psychological disorder I have acquired from my parents and their Catholic background*. I wish that I could be more relaxed about such things.

There are two quite different reasons that I see for finding this distasteful, the first which I too find disturbing is if the podium girl is doing this because she is being paid to do it and not because she enjoys it.
The second is if somebody is just upset by the sexual flirtation of others, then they should just live and let live.

*nothing unusual in the UK in their period.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

Beyond that, here are some more differences... With one of each behaving and speaking identically, one gender brings assertive leaders where the other brings bossy cows. One gender brings cool studs and the other brings disgusting sluts. One gender brings outspoken activists and the other brings moaning whingers. And so on. And on, and on.

Apart from the studs v sluts, the other comparisons are not about gender but which side the person is on.

Nicola Sturgeon is an Assertive leader, Margaret Thatcher was a bossy cow. (I imagine any Tory would reverse that).
I cant actually think of any woman activist who is classed as a moaning whinger but every last cycle activist, male or female, certainly fitted the bill in the Daily mail (male editor) or Sun (female editor).

As for studs v sluts, I find this comes more from female critics than male ones. Or sluts was actually said with some relish rather than disapproval.
Yma o Hyd