Save Tavistock Place cycle route, London

iviehoff

Save Tavistock Place cycle route, London

Post by iviehoff »

The present nice arrangements on the Tavistock Place cycle route, near UCL in London, are merely a temporary trial.

As the trial period is coming to an end, there is now a consultation by Camden on what next. The taxi drivers would like their road space back and are campaigning heavily to return it to the previous unfit for purpose arrangements. If you'd like to help keep this rare pocket of bicycle civilisation in central London as is, then you have the opportunity to contribute to the consultation.

This London Cycle Campaign link explains about it and gives you a link to the consultation.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/take-action- ... n-a-minute
Pete Owens

Re: Save Tavistock Place cycle route, London

Post by Pete Owens »

Or better still, remove the previous cycle track altogether now that we all agree it is unfit for purpose and do what the Dutch would now do on such a street and convert it into a fietsstraat (bicycle street) - allowing cyclists to use the whole width of the road rather than be confined to ride single file along the edges.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I certainly told them in my own response that "return to original condition", which they offered as one of 2 alternatives, was not acceptable even if they were forced to restore 2-way motorised traffic. No provision at all would be better than the narrow 2-way segregated lane that used to exist.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Last day to comment is Friday 21st October, tomorrow.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I had a few days in London last year and again earlier this year and stayed in a hotel in the Tavistock area. As I was carrying a case I took a taxi to the hotel on both occasions. Apart from the initial booking instruction there was no conversation either way until we neared the Tavistock area when the driver informed me the congestion there was being caused by the cycle path. It was as if they were reciting the congestion story from a script, the same spiel each time but from a different driver, also, there was no visible congestion on either occasion.
Back in London a couple of weeks ago I wondered if I should argue the case if I got the same story again, then thought I could hit them harder by just walking, so LTDA cost one taxi driver a hire :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ron wrote:Apart from the initial booking instruction there was no conversation either way until we neared the Tavistock area when the driver informed me the congestion there was being caused by the cycle path. It was as if they were reciting the congestion story from a script, the same spiel each time but from a different driver, also, there was no visible congestion on either occasion.
Back in London a couple of weeks ago I wondered if I should argue the case if I got the same story again, then thought I could hit them harder by just walking, so LTDA cost one taxi driver a hire :D

Amen. I used to use taxis in this country a lot more often but the general attitude to cycling and bad behaviour near cyclists mean that I now faff with bike hire schemes or simply walk much more often, plus I've got a folding bike. Surely LTDA and friends should have thought through that people who cycle to/from stations are people who are more inclined to use taxis than the average? But I guess the loss of cyclist trade is being dwarfed by their losses to minicabs and Uber.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.