Cycle path speed

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cycle path speed

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:
cjabingham1973 wrote:I once did 30+ mph on a cycle path! I passed two stationary cyclists and gave them quite
a surprise! I think 35 mph was my top cycle path speed.

That's a rather controversial way to start on here!

I wouldn't consider going so fast on a cycle path, especially not passing stationary cyclists. What if one of them had set off and wobbled into your path?

If your way is clear you would treat it like any other route and way of transport.
I am not condoning speed per se just saying that you read your way forward and adjust your speed to suit.
If there are blind corners I crawl and keep left......unfortunately some users today think they are still behind their wheel of car :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Re: Cycle path speed

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:A road is likely to be different, as even a single track road is wider than a path, but the same applies to both. One should be able to stop in the distance that can be seen to be clear. The sightlines and/or likelihood of hazards (dogs or children running out, other cyclists, etc.) should determine the appropriate speed. If there is a speed limit, it is probably a good idea not to exceed it.

Single track roads start at 3.7m or less, "path"s or cycleways are up to 9m wide, so that's not necessarily true. I agree with the rest.

I said *likely*, and I don't know about where you come from, but with the exception of a couple of paths through Chelmsford parks (with markings segregating pedestrians and cyclists), and a couple of very narrow single track lanes in rural bit of Essex, the single track lanes I have used are wider than the cycle tracks and shared use paths I have used.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom