Stop washing your acrylic and polyester garments?

horizon

Stop washing your acrylic and polyester garments?

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Stop washing your acrylic and polyester garments?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Maybe a good filter built in to the washing machine :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Maybe a good filter built in to the washing machine :?:

Yes, that is one approach being looked at (although the manufacturers aren't doing much to research or support it).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No issue here.
We're on a septic tank system, so all our waste water goes into it.

Been here 20years and never been touched. The previous people installed it in the late 1960s and as far as I can tell, the lid has never been off. The tank must be toppers with microfibres. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Mick F wrote:No issue here.
We're on a septic tank system, so all our waste water goes into it.

Been here 20years and never been touched. The previous people installed it in the late 1960s and as far as I can tell, the lid has never been off. The tank must be toppers with microfibres. :shock:

Wow you must have some effective bugs and good drainage! The EA suggest an annual removal of sludge, others maybe up to 5 years depending on size, sewage volume and condition. Being in the warm south you do have an advantage in terms of microbial activity. What tends to happen is the main chamber fills with solids and an increasing proportion of the run off ends up in the soak away which finds its way to water courses....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I really don't know what our's is like at all, and I have no idea how it is designed internally or where the run-off is.
Absolutely no idea.

We bought this bungalow "as seen", no survey, no mortgage, nothing but a cash sale. We knew it was on a private sewage system and we knew it worked, but where it was was a mystery.

The property was empty for over two years after Larry had died, and he popped his clogs without any dependents or relatives at all. His will was to leave his estate to the National Trust, so we wrote our cheque to them. It was a few years before we cleared the jungle enough to find the extent of the "garden", and in the process found the septic tank. We live in 2acres of land surrounded by woodlands, and any run-off will be on our property.

There are two home-made cement lids on the top, with Larry's name and a date - from memory, it was 1967 - and one of the covers had a big crack right across it. The whole lid affair looked fragile to say the least! I build a single block surround to it about a couple of feet away from it, and built a removable "raft" of decking over the whole lot. We use the decking for a swing-seat.

We bought this place in April 1997 - 20 years this spring, and since covering up the tank, the decking hasn't been off. When I last looked at the cement lids, they appeared that they have never ever been off since they were fitted. I have no proof of this of course.

We know very well that this situation won't last forever, but if and when it fails, we'll be forced to do something, but as it stands, it works. We're letting sleeping dogs lie, and if it fails, we'll get someone in to fix it or renew it. It won't cost a fortune, and we do have rainy-day money set aside. No doubt there's grants available too.

As far as we're concerned, the septic tank is out of sight and out of mind.
Why fix something when it works?
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Probably running off into the river..........eventually.
Go on Mick F take a peep :)

Cesspool not septic tank :?:
Probably just a hole in the ground...............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

horizon wrote:Something to think about?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... tudy-finds

Yet another reason to use Merino wool :D
"42"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Probably running off into the river..........eventually.
Go on Mick F take a peep :)

Cesspool not septic tank :?:
Probably just a hole in the ground...............

Built in 67 I'll bet it's a cess pit. I'd also put money on the outfall is quite steep into a water course somewhere otherwise it would certainly have backed up after all these years. The pit will be solid now with slurry on the top which is mainly flowing straight through.
I've a lifetime experience of dealing with s*** having never been on main drains. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, I will NOT take a peep! :lol:

Watercourse?
We're a long way from the River Tamar at its nearest point, and we live on the side of a hill. 400yds to the nearest property (downhill)
Ground drainage is no problem hereabouts, but there are no streams or watercourses that could have been used. It can only be soaking away generally. Roof drains go into soakaways, so it's only kitchen and bathroom/loo that go into the tank.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently facial scrubs and some toothpastes have these microbeads in them too. Anyway in a billion years the sun will expand making earth uninhabitable - thats if Corbyn doesnt acheive it first :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote:Apparently facial scrubs and some toothpastes have these microbeads in them too. Anyway in a billion years the sun will expand making earth uninhabitable - thats if Corbyn doesnt acheive it first :lol:

Al

To be banned by 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37263087

E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Apparently facial scrubs and some toothpastes have these microbeads in them too. Anyway in a billion years the sun will expand making earth uninhabitable - thats if Corbyn doesnt acheive it first :lol:

Al

To be banned by 2017

What a mistaka to maka ! :D . Thats only in the UK!

If you fly over India China and observe all those brown coal power stations belching out more and more crap and greenhouse gases it brings it home how our 'Green' efforts are so puny. That said I do think we should blaze the trail on sensible environmental measures.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:No, I will NOT take a peep! :lol:

Watercourse?
We're a long way from the River Tamar at its nearest point, and we live on the side of a hill. 400yds to the nearest property (downhill)
Ground drainage is no problem hereabouts, but there are no streams or watercourses that could have been used. It can only be soaking away generally. Roof drains go into soakaways, so it's only kitchen and bathroom/loo that go into the tank.

Leave it alone Mick. Larry didn't build it over the disused shaft, shown on map, did he?

E2E info
meic

Post by meic »

al_yrpal wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Al

To be banned by 2017

What a mistaka to maka ! :D . Thats only in the UK!

If you fly over India China and observe all those brown coal power stations belching out more and more crap and greenhouse gases it brings it home how our 'Green' efforts are so puny. That said I do think we should blaze the trail on sensible environmental measures.

Al

If you fly over India and China then you are almost certainly more of the problem than those who you are looking down on!
Yma o Hyd