Deterring mobile phone use

The utility cyclist

Re: Deterring mobile phone use

Post by The utility cyclist »

So what, with massive media/interactive screens in so many vehicles and next to zero upholding of the existing law this won't do anything, Policing these things and indeed other aspects of dangerous driving with meaningful penalties such as instant 18month bans for holding ANY device plus IMO fines for having a cigarette in your hand/mouth and banning music/headphones might actually make a dent in the KSIs at some point.
Afterall listening to music slows reaction times, the Dutch government banned people on bikes from having headphones so it must be dangerous right?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Extending the legislation in this way is very sensible. The actions are distracting and increase risk to others.

Legislation alone might have value in clarification and deterrence.

And at the level of enforcement it's much easier for the police and prosecutors to have a well-defined technical offence rather than having to prove careless or dangerous driving resulting from the activity in the specific instance.

But of course that line of effectiveness will depend on detection and further action. I'd like to see technological interventions that increase detection way beyond what we see at the moment.

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Jdsk wrote:
But of course that line of effectiveness will depend on detection and further action. I'd like to see technological interventions that increase detection way beyond what we see at the moment.

Jonathan

Absolutely agree - there was a 'mobile telephone sensor' on a road near us, and it always went off as we passed (no other cars near us and nobody in the car using a 'phone) - maybe its MO was to just light up whenever any car went past, just to 'remind' folk? Seemed pretty ineffective IMHO. I understand there is the tech to block a mobile phone (except 999 call) from the driver's seat, but for whatever reason (probably the might of the telephone companies) it hasn't been implemented.
My wife was driving along the A11 a couple of years ago (myself as a passenger) sticking (as she mostly does :oops: ) to the speed limit, when we noticed a motorcyclist peering through the car window!- Police checking on 'phone usage, just gave us a 'thumbs up' and carried on to check on the next person not exceeding the limit? Apparently 'phone users tend to go slow as their attention drifts, and we have indeed seen this happening on the A11. :( along with beer being drunk from a can :shock:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a few different technological approaches to detection and prevention, but I haven't seen any decent studies yet.

Of course the retrieved records of use are now commonly used after "accidents", and removing the current loopholes will help in that.

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Jdsk wrote:There's a few different technological approaches to detection and prevention, but I haven't seen any decent studies yet.

Of course the retrieved records of use are now commonly used after "accidents", and removing the current loopholes will help in that.

Jonathan

But of course prevention (of the driver using the device) may be more effective than taking data after an incident.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, prevention would be much better.

Jonathan