Deterring mobile phone use

mjr

Re: Deterring mobile phone use

Post by mjr »

Norfolk leading the way again: automated signs warning drivers that their non-hands-free phone use has been detected. Before long, this stuff will probably be capable of activating cameras and data capture to obtain evidence for sending out fines. It's not perfect, but it seems better than the current nothing. It also warns following drivers that they're following a phoney who will probably drive rubbish.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44771962
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yeah, maybe. But unless drivers get fines and points are they going to take any notice? At the moment it's just like one of those signs that displays your speed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I saw that too and it seems interesting, but I presume it gives false positives if it's the passenger using the phone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Daughter1 has an app on her phone that stops it being used in the car.
That's all I know. No details.

We have a car that connects to your phone via bluetooth, and all you need to do is press a button on the steering wheel and then select what person in your contacts list you want to phone. Incoming, the number and/or the contact's name is displayed and you press the button to connect.

All done without touching your phone, but it does take some concentration and I don't like using it on the move.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Seen in the discussion of this on cyclechat. This is great:
[youtube]HbjSWDwJILs[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/HbjSWDwJILs
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A bit like shooting foxes, but if there were to be any real official interest in deterring mobile phone use, a version of this technology might be ideal equipment for roadside human enforcement. What I'm thinking of is some sort of easily portable gizmo - ie not the size of a sideboard - which would alert the user to the approach of a vehicle with a handheld phone in use. This would avoid the need for peering into passing cars, and those with passengers might get less attention, but single-occupant vehicles with a positive indication could be stopped for investigation. One vital aspect would be reliability: if something gets a reputation for being dodgy it can take a long, long time for it to be treated with confidence.

Even if such kit could be produced, I'm not confident there would be any official pressure to use it. I think that if there were, it has the potential to be as revolutionary as was the breathalyser. (NB I'm not saying that the meter would prove the offence on its own, just that it would quickly identify suspects.)
====================================================
PS If this cannot detect texting - and I don't know what's involved with detecting it when a text is being written or read - then it's not worth the effort. imo
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Yeah, maybe. But unless drivers get fines and points are they going to take any notice? At the moment it's just like one of those signs that displays your speed.

But they modify behaviour.
meic

Post by meic »

An itsy witsy bit.

Nowhere near as much as a big yellow speed camera does. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

But you can't buy a speed camera off the shelf. This is something a community can choose to do for itself. Mine included.

Why does everything have to be nickle and dimed on here?
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

meic wrote:Nowhere near as much as a big yellow speed camera does. :mrgreen:

For a few meters before until slightly further after, which CAN be even more dangerous with sudden changes of speed if there's somebody not concentrating fully.

Much better would be average speed cameras everywhere possible - they do seem to work IMO, and are becoming more common especially round here.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bonefishblues wrote:But you can't buy a speed camera off the shelf. This is something a community can choose to do for itself. Mine included.

Why does everything have to be nickle and dimed on here?

You and your neighbours can club together and buy a speed camera if you've got enough money. What you can't do is set it up at the roadside and issue fines - though you might be allowed to put it in a roadside garden, for instance (and not issue fines). The linked article gives no indication of what permission would be necessary to install one of these phone detectors at the roadside: planning permission? Maybe it comes under permitted development? Maybe the same as erecting a road sign?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Someone in Norfolk put up a yellow bird box which looked quite convincing and slowed folk - I don't know if it's still in use! Hope the birds still have a home even if not the same one :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the subject of LED signs more generally, they can be irritating/ distracting, without achieving much.

eg In some areas, HE have temporary illuminated road signs in roadworks with repeated warnings to drivers not to run out of fuel; while I get the idea, leaving the warnings till drivers are in the roadworks and unable to refuel seems pointless to me. When there's nothing informative to display on gantries eg about traffic problems ahead, they sometimes display road safety messages for no obvious reason, other than having signs there.

Re signs about possible offending, I'd take some convincing that they influence intentional offenders. It may be that somebody who has drifted over the limit through inattention is reminded but somebody who is deliberately speeding seems unlikely to give it another thought.

I understand now why there are so many LED signs along roads like the A17.
meic

Post by meic »

It may be that somebody who has drifted over the limit through inattention is reminded but somebody who is deliberately speeding seems unlikely to give it another thought.

I have certainly seen the brake lights come on as motorists correct a 34 or 36mph down to something lower as a reaction to the sign lighting up. Though I dont put it down to inattention so much as it focusing their mind on the fact that what they are (knowingly) doing is past the limit.
I think the signs are a bit empowering to regular followers of the speed limit and it gives some support in the conflict generated by those drivers pressurising people to do a "more reasonable" speed 10mph higher.

All of us have watched signs where the median reading for solitary vehicles is way above the limit.
Yma o Hyd
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

meic wrote:
It may be that somebody who has drifted over the limit through inattention is reminded but somebody who is deliberately speeding seems unlikely to give it another thought.

I have certainly seen the brake lights come on as motorists correct a 34 or 36mph down to something lower as a reaction to the sign lighting up. Though I dont put it down to inattention so much as it focusing their mind on the fact that what they are (knowingly) doing is past the limit.
I think the signs are a bit empowering to regular followers of the speed limit and it gives some support in the conflict generated by those drivers pressurising people to do a "more reasonable" speed 10mph higher.

All of us have watched signs where the median reading for solitary vehicles is way above the limit.

Yes, empowerment of the law-abiding is a thing, and worthwhile. Similar can happen eg with 20mph limits.