Deterring mobile phone use

661-Pete

Re: Deterring mobile phone use

Postby 661-Pete » 12 Oct 2016, 3:19pm

mjr wrote:Some seat-belt non-users sit on a large thick chopping board that puts their weight on the seat edges and avoids setting off the sensor, as I discovered during some survey I did in Somerset years ago.
Really?! :lol: You'd have thought, they'd prefer wearing the seatbelt to putting up with that! :shock:

I remember being driven by someone - a colleague - before wearing of seatbelts became mandatory this was. He made a point of looping the seatbelts behind the seats and connecting them up that way, to defeat the warning. When I, sitting in the front passenger seat, objected to this, and made a move as it were, to fasten my seatbelt in the proper way, he simply glowered at me. Perhaps he thought I was accusing him of being a serial killer, or whatever. Well, I suppose, in a way, I was....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 12 Oct 2016, 4:42pm

The simplest way to defeat the seatbelt warning is to buy a buckle from eBay, although I can't for the life of me see why you would want to.

meic

Postby meic » 12 Oct 2016, 4:55pm

I would have thought that short circuiting or open circuiting the switch connectors would suffice.
I think that I might be able to turn mine off with the diagnostics software.
Yma o Hyd

AaronR

Postby AaronR » 12 Oct 2016, 5:29pm

More Police on the roads would aid detection, the only option available to stop this otherwise would be for mobile phone operators to cut the signal to any device moving from one mobile communication cell to another at anything more than walking pace

My vote would be for immediate confiscation of the mobile device, with it being destroyed if owned, or returned to mobile company if still in its 'lease'

From there double the points to six, so anyone caught twice will lose their licence, and increase the fixed penalty fine too, multiplying the fine and points for every passenger in the vehicle

Drivers of commercial vehicles (car derived van and upwards, including PCV) should receive an immediate ban, as should anyone within their two year new licence holder probation period

In addition all occupants of the vehicle who hold a driving licence should receive the same points as the driver using the existing aiding and abetting endorsement codes

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 12 Oct 2016, 5:47pm

I recently listened to a program on Radio 4 about mobile phone use.
Apparently drivers risk assess the environment around them then make a decision to break the law based on their assessment.
They often mis-assess their environment due to a lack of spatial awareness.
Their decision to use the phone is therefore criminal.
The gentleman making the case for stiffer penalties applied this "risk assesed" criminal decision to users of hands free phone systems equally to hand held phones.

I am a 100k miles plus / annum business driver.
My office and customers are always complaining they cannot get hold of me on my mobile.
Some will call my wife to try to get hold of me.
She explains that I will call them when I am in a place of safety.
We all make decisions in our lives.
I've decided to reduce my chances of killing or injuring someone while driving by not using my phone while driving..... it really is that easy.....
Make the choice ......
Switch the phone off !
Switch the Bluetooth off !
Set your Satnag to safe mode !
Don't kill people !!!!
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 12 Oct 2016, 6:05pm

meic wrote:I would have thought that short circuiting or open circuiting the switch connectors would suffice.

Because at £2.03 before you make a lower offer AND it's got a bottle opener for your beer too, why faff around? :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Safety-Se ... 3641.l6368

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 12 Oct 2016, 6:09pm

AaronR wrote:the only option available to stop this otherwise would be for mobile phone operators to cut the signal to any device moving from one mobile communication cell to another at anything more than walking pace
Again this would penalise the poor passenger. And people on trains (other than in the 'quiet' coach). Incidentally, how does one get a seat in the 'quiet' coach? Whenever I buy an advance ticket it just puts me in one of the other carriages.

Moreover, many accidents are due to drivers texting while driving. You can be composing a text even if your phone hasn't got a signal.

I think cyclists can play an important role in 'shopping' the offenders here, especially if they have video evidence. A cyclist is in a better position to see what a driver is doing, than another motorist - or indeed a police officer in a car. And we need more Bobbies on bikes, too!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Oct 2016, 6:15pm

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:IMO detecting mobile use without actually seeing the driver using it is very unlikely as there's so many ways of denying it,someone else in the car using the phone being but one.

Really? Just aim a camera downhill into the driver's side window. You'll see the idiots playing with the phone in their lap, just as I do when I cycle on a raised cycle track to the right of a carriageway. It's an epidemic. Anyway, there's enough using the phones in full view through the windscreen to catch with cameras for starters to make a significant difference.

But it needs someone to aim the camera and and note the reg number, then someone up the road to stop the car and issue the FPN and confiscate the phone on the spot if met with any denial of phone use whilst driving.

Edit
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Oct 2016, 6:16pm

AaronR wrote:More Police on the roads would aid detection, the only option available to stop this otherwise would be for mobile phone operators to cut the signal to any device moving from one mobile communication cell to another at anything more than walking pace

My vote would be for immediate confiscation of the mobile device, with it being destroyed if owned, or returned to mobile company if still in its 'lease'

From there double the points to six, so anyone caught twice will lose their licence, and increase the fixed penalty fine too, multiplying the fine and points for every passenger in the vehicle

Drivers of commercial vehicles (car derived van and upwards, including PCV) should receive an immediate ban, as should anyone within their two year new licence holder probation period

In addition all occupants of the vehicle who hold a driving licence should receive the same points as the driver using the existing aiding and abetting endorsement codes

You've been thinking about this quite a bit haven't you? :wink:
I like :D

meic

Postby meic » 12 Oct 2016, 6:27pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
meic wrote:I would have thought that short circuiting or open circuiting the switch connectors would suffice.

Because at £2.03 before you make a lower offer AND it's got a bottle opener for your beer too, why faff around? :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Safety-Se ... 3641.l6368

£2.03, I am not paying that much! I'll just cut one off an old seatbelt.
Yma o Hyd

mjr

Postby mjr » 12 Oct 2016, 7:30pm

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:Really? Just aim a camera downhill into the driver's side window. You'll see the idiots playing with the phone in their lap, just as I do when I cycle on a raised cycle track to the right of a carriageway. It's an epidemic. Anyway, there's enough using the phones in full view through the windscreen to catch with cameras for starters to make a significant difference.

But it needs someone to aim the camera and and note the reg number, then someone up the road to stop the car and issue the FPN and confiscate the phone on the spot if met with any denial of phone use whilst driving.

I think a pair of static cameras could get over 80% of them. A front-facing one to get the reg plate and driver's face, then the sloping one to spot the phone.

But the spotter+catcher approach you describe is the same as they do for ordinary vehicle checks and could work for mobiles if the spotter was in a raised location or had their camera on a pole (selfie stick?), rather than hiding in a hedge like they usually do in my village - the catchers are often sat outside my house, or in the service road just over the bridge for the opposite direction.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Oct 2016, 7:56pm

mjr wrote:I think a pair of static cameras could get over 80% of them. A front-facing one to get the reg plate and driver's face, then the sloping one to spot the phone.

But the spotter+catcher approach you describe is the same as they do for ordinary vehicle checks and could work for mobiles if the spotter was in a raised location or had their camera on a pole (selfie stick?), rather than hiding in a hedge like they usually do in my village - the catchers are often sat outside my house, or in the service road just over the bridge for the opposite direction.

Wouldn't such cameras need to be fixed?
If not they'd need to be set up by people,they would also need to be good enough to to detect all heights of vehicle otherwise you'd only get say motorists of a certain height.

I'm thinking of a highly mobile unit of two officers who could set themselves up in minutes in any location where the need arises.
If drivers didn't know when and where next and if punishment was harsh £200 six points first offence,£400+ three month ban for second and £1000+ 12 month ban retest for third offence,forget your driving licence and buy a bike for the fourth :)

meic

Postby meic » 12 Oct 2016, 8:04pm

You dont have to catch them all for the deterrent to work. Just enough to make people take it seriously.

A camera at the side of the road about 6 feet high, somewhere where drivers have to slow down (traffic light, traffic roundabout, speed bump, traffic queue) will work fine. I know because I see loads, in most vehicle types, at the speed bump while standing at the bus stop.
Yma o Hyd

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Oct 2016, 8:12pm

meic wrote:You dont have to catch them all for the deterrent to work. Just enough to make people take it seriously.

A camera at the side of the road about 6 feet high, somewhere where drivers have to slow down (traffic light, traffic roundabout, speed bump, traffic queue) will work fine. I know because I see loads, in most vehicle types, at the speed bump while standing at the bus stop.

Will work fine only if it's highly mobile(sorry),if fixed will have the same effect speeding cameras have.

BTW,a camera would need to be pretty close to the offending driver's vehicle to be able to cover texting on the lap and mobile held to the ear.
Then there's the many and varied heights of vehicle to contend with.
A plain clothed officer with a Mk1 eyeball and anothe officer up the road would be highly mobile(sorry again) and could catch far more IMHO.

meic

Postby meic » 12 Oct 2016, 8:24pm

Built into every new traffic light, pedestrian crossing in fact anywhere that drivers really should be paying attention. So the ABD cant complain it is "Safe Texting".

Oh dear, have I just created the surveillance society?
Yma o Hyd