Cyclists not prosecuted enough!

freiston

Cyclists not prosecuted enough!

Post by freiston »

I thought this ought to be brought to the attention of readers of this board:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... g-12024336

Nick Freeman, a solicitor renowned for getting prosecutions of law-breaking motorists dropped on account of legal loopholes is now calling for more cyclists to be prosecuted. He really does seem to have a warped/biased sense of justice.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mattyfez

Re: Cyclists not prosecuted enough!

Post by Mattyfez »

I think the west midlands police summed it up perfectly in their blog, a mis behaving cyclist is far more likely to do themselves an injury, as opposed to causing others injury or damaged property. Hence the vast majority of cyclists are fairly sensible.

Cyclists errors of judgement cause drivers and pedestrians irritation at best, that's not to say there arn't rare cases where cyclists cause accident and injury, but on balance...

If you take a pragmatic approach to road safety, you have to target the biggest cause of injury, and that's people driving in an irresponsible manner.

It's incredibly inefficient use of very limited police resources to target a demographic that don't really cause much notable damage/injury.
Last edited by Mattyfez on 16 Oct 2016, 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

Good sensible rebuttal from Superintendent Dean Hatton, anyone who looks at the facts will agree with him, those with a dislike of people on bikes won't.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

“The area policed by the West Midlands force includes the cities of Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton and employs 7,442 police officers, 527 special constables and 676 police community support officers, and, yet, astonishingly, last year they failed to fine a single cyclist for riding on footpaths?

.... and how many motorists were fined for illegally driving and parking on the same footpaths?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cunobelin wrote:
“The area policed by the West Midlands force includes the cities of Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton and employs 7,442 police officers, 527 special constables and 676 police community support officers, and, yet, astonishingly, last year they failed to fine a single cyclist for riding on footpaths?

.... and how many motorists were fined for illegally driving and parking on the same footpaths?
gaz

Post by gaz »

freiston wrote:Nick Freeman, a solicitor renowned for getting prosecutions of law-breaking motorists dropped on account of legal loopholes is now calling for more cyclists to be prosecuted. He really does seem to have a warped/biased sense of justice.

He simply wants more clients, if the police start prosecuting more people he can offer them his services in the name of justice.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

gaz wrote:
freiston wrote:Nick Freeman, a solicitor renowned for getting prosecutions of law-breaking motorists dropped on account of legal loopholes is now calling for more cyclists to be prosecuted. He really does seem to have a warped/biased sense of justice.

He simply wants more clients, if the police start prosecuting more people he can offer them his services in the name of justice.

So technically he's encouraging a 'dangerous driving is acceptable' culture, in order to generate prosecutions that his business can subsequently get off the hook for a tidy fee.

Sounds like a thoroughly nice chap.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

freiston wrote: ... Nick Freeman, a solicitor renowned for getting prosecutions of law-breaking motorists dropped on account of legal loopholes is now calling for more cyclists to be prosecuted. He really does seem to have a warped/biased sense of justice.

Mr Freeman is alert to the importance of grabbing every bit of publicity for his law firm that he can. In common with many others in the same line of work, he has an interest in there being as many prosecutions as possible, since he earns his living from advising people who are being prosecuted and, occasionally successfully defending them, which takes us back to publicity. The collapse in prosecutions under road traffic legislation has not increased the bottom line for our learned friends.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, As far as I can tell the police don't give a damn for vulnerable folk!
The rampant ignorance that passes for "Roadcraft" in this country should be rectified pronto. I don't drive on the pavement, ride on the pavement, or even add dog poo to the pavement, that should be the norm.
As my daughter, wife & myself walked on a local pavement I was ridden directly at by an idiot on his race replica?
Of course I made it perfectly clear to his that his behaviour is illegal, citing the 1855 Highways Act, supported by the 1886 Local Government Regulations Act, only to be told by the cretin that "As those Laws haven't been renewed in the last 30 years they're unenforcable"!?
I don't think "Dora" has either, put you can still get done under the act!
Just because it is a case of prevalent wrong doing doesn't legitimize such actions.
The only saving grace for me on the horizon is the fact that I'm not long for this world, either by stupidity of others, or serious health issues.
The "Morons Rule"! Going soon MM
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Not entirely sure where you are going with this, did the idiot on his 'race replica' cause any physical injury or damage to property?

I'm not defending such behaviour as it is anti social, and I was tempted to kick the back wheel of a cyclist who was doing a similar thing bullying his way through a crowded pavement, in leeds city centre just last friday. I refained though. These people don't represent the majority, and two wrongs don't make a right.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think we have to admit there are morons using very mode of transport,but the one's causing the most injury and loss of life are the ones using motorised vehicles.
So when I read of someone who bases his career on getting people off with their criminality on technicalities,complaining about the one's on the receiving end of his customers lawbreaking,I can only draw one conclusion.
The man's a self seeking git ,end of.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Mattyfez, At 67 years of age, with a wife with mobility issues, I believe that a designated "Safe Area" (pavement) should be properly protected.
When I started out in the great cycling regimen we had an order of decency, with only young children actually being encouraged to keep on the pavement for safety. By 9 or 10 one rode with confidence on most roads. Of course there was only 5 or 6 millions motor vehicles of all type on Britain's roads, and we had police officers who would pull up wrong uns!
Not now, over 35 million cars alone a large number of them with no interest in lawful compliance, not a nice place!
With so few police officers actually doing any traffic control, the vulnerable are left to suffer?
So, if I can't verbally rebuke a moron who is acting in an anti-social fashion what hope is there for anyone not wrapped up in a ton plus of steel?
When I was working as a school crossing patrol I was approached by a serving police officer who objected to be indicating for traffic to stop, thereby permitting safe passage for my charges?
He told me I should wait for a clear gap in the flow to occur before I put my pole up to cover for any other vehicles that might come along afteer the gap????????????????????????????????
He ended up with a formal interview & subsequent warning as to his future conduct from his Superintendent!
If you & others don't like to comply with traffic regulations keep on "Shank's Pony!
So Zero Tolerance over traffic laws please. Glad I'm getting near to the exit door if stupid, dangerous folk can put law abiding folk in danger, supported of course for apologist types, after we actually own the roads, unlike motor users who are there by "Conditional Licence"! MM
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If I "verbally" rebuked all the selfish morons who drive a tonne of metal on the footpath in order to park blocking the footpath to legitimate users with prams or pushchairs, I would never get to the end of my bleedin' road.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

The lawyer whilst obviously angling to drum up business isn't completely wide of the mark.
I have no idea of the West Midlands situation but London does have a problem with some bike riders. Death wish commuters shooting through red lights at junctions and overtaking HGVs on the left,men on bikes (I hesitate to call them cyclists) with no lights after dark. These people reinforce the negative attitudes of some motorists about cyclists. The police ought to do more to stop and prosecute such cyclists (as well as transgressing motorists). However, with the reduction in traffic police numbers I doubt anything will be done.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

andrewk wrote:The lawyer whilst obviously angling to drum up business isn't completely wide of the mark.
I have no idea of the West Midlands situation but London does have a problem with some bike riders. Death wish commuters shooting through red lights at junctions and overtaking HGVs on the left,men on bikes (I hesitate to call them cyclists) with no lights after dark. These people reinforce the negative attitudes of some motorists about cyclists. The police ought to do more to stop and prosecute such cyclists (as well as transgressing motorists). However, with the reduction in traffic police numbers I doubt anything will be done.
How many injuries/damages have been caused by those cyclists you dislike?? Note - I'm not agreeing with their cycling as you describe it.

People usually cycle on pavements (footways) because road cycling conditions and routes are not suitable for them. This is the problem that needs to be addressed - not prosecutions.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.