Gatwick or Heathrow?

Do you think Gatwick or Heathrow should be expanded?

Gatwick
67%
Heathrow
33%

Total votes: 15

horizon

Gatwick or Heathrow?

Post by horizon »

So which airport do you think should be expanded? No, I'm sorry, there is no option for neither, no option for other regional airports, no option for less air travel. no option for going by train, no option for increased flight tax. In fact no option except futher destruction of our environment, the increase of profits of the private airport operating companies and the pandering to the blind ignorance of air travellers.

Think: how has the debate been framed in this way?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
MikeF

Re: Gatwick or Heathrow?

Post by MikeF »

Neither!
Where is that option??? Too many planes swirling around in the jetstream dumping huge amounts of water vapour into it already!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Makk11

Post by Makk11 »

Interesting question and one very close to my heart. I live right by Heathrow Airport, it's existence provides me with a job, I drive buses and coaches for international tour operators and my passengers arrive at Heathrow. I also like to travel myself so an airport on my doorstep is very convenient. I was for a long time very in favour of a 3rd runway at Heathrow until I saw the preferred plans for the North Eastern extension.

The plan is to destroy Harmondsworth Moor, part of the Colne Valley Regional Park, 100s of acres of parkland and nature reserve. It's my favourite place to cycle away from all the hustle and bustle of congested traffic.
Attachments
Harmondsworth Moor
Harmondsworth Moor
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Actually BOTH.

Heathrow has the worst record for delays of any major airport because it is operating at capacity, hence the smallest slip up has knock on effects. It requires another runway to simply be able to function effectively.
Gatwick's problem is that it only has 1 runway, hence it is also vulnerable to mishaps.

Having spent several years doing a lot of business travel I was glad that I was based outside of the UK and didn't have to try to work around our substandard disfunctional airport infrastructure.

If this country wishes to have an economic future then it must address its inadequate transport infrastructure.
RickH

Post by RickH »

MikeF wrote:Neither!
Where is that option??? Too many planes swirling around in the jetstream dumping huge amounts of water vapour into it already!

I don't think that water vapour is the main problem.

George Monbiot argued against either in relation to climate change in this piece in the Guardian last week.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

andrewk wrote:the smallest slip up has knock on effects. It requires another runway to simply be able to function effectively.

Why don't we demolish the local village then?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

You would think on a cycle forum there would be some basic level of environmental awareness.
Where is the option on "Neither"?

Edited - Sorry, I see this is exactly the point the OP was trying to make with the "survey"
Last edited by Graham on 25 Oct 2016, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Acronym removed
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

horizon wrote:Think: how has the debate been framed in this way?
Like most political debates, we are given two apparently opposing sides, and it's up to us which team we support - TeamGatwick or TeamHeathrow? In fact, the two teams are the same side, and the debate is framed to exclude almost the entire spectrum of options.

Still, most journalists will consider that reporting the shouting match between the two sides counts as 'balanced'.

In answer to the question: Heathrow, because I'm looking forward to Boris Johnson fulfilling his promise to lie down in front of the bulldozers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Harmondsworth-village.png
Harmondsworth-village.png (218.67 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Goodbye.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Chris Grayling says:
[...]it’s a great deal for passengers who will also benefit from access to more airlines, destinations and flights.

With the pound as it is - and looks likely to stay - that'll be a great deal for foreign passengers. The British won't be able to afford to go abroad.
meic

Post by meic »

There is just no pleasing some people.

The environment needs us to cut out all this gratuitous air travel. If Brexit throwing us into relative abject poverty and the weak pound making foreign holidays too expensive means less gratuitous air travel, the surely we should be celebrating it.
Same goes for food imports, we can grow our own mangetouts and mini sweetcorns, rather than flying them in from Africa or South America.
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote:There is just no pleasing some people.

The environment needs us to cut out all this gratuitous air travel. If Brexit throwing us into relative abject poverty and the weak pound making foreign holidays too expensive means less gratuitous air travel, the surely we should be celebrating it.

If that's the an effect of Brexit, then I'll be celebrating (though not necessarily celebrating the other effects). I dream that poverty will help us all to reassess our priorities, leading to a deeper sense of community. I might be wrong though, and instead we'll descend into selfishness and violence.

Same goes for food imports, we can grow our own mangetouts and mini sweetcorns, rather than flying them in from Africa or South America.
I've read that beans grown in Africa require less energy, even accounting for the air freight to the UK.
In any case, we should probably be moving towards local, seasonal produce - but I don't know how far that is practical these days.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've not answered because my answer would be neither.

Greenham Common?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Greenham_Common
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

whoof wrote:Heathrow apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37760187

And from the same source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37667371

It's all about "taking back control" - enough in fact to destroy the fabric of our country. Sick, sick, sick.