A blend of enforcement and education ..

Cyril Haearn

A blend of enforcement and education ..

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lead for Roads Policing, Chief Constable Suzette Davenport said: ... our approach [to phone use while driving] is a blend of enforcement and education.

This makes me want to be sick, reminds me of "blended" coffee, a dusty powder that tastes of nothing.

Back then the cops used to talk about the three "e"s, the third was engineering. That would mean now: making phone use impossible when the motor is running, as demanded by the IAM.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Re: A blend of enforcement and education ..

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lead for Roads Policing, Chief Constable Suzette Davenport said: ... our approach [to phone use while driving] is a blend of enforcement and education..........

If the 'blend' is heavy fine + points enforcement and offenders paying another £100 for a days education,I've no problems with their approach :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Nov 2016, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

I cant see how education works in relation to phone use while driving. As if driving without using a hand held mobile phone is a special skill that needs to be taught.

The education thing seems to be a favorite answer to dangerous driving because it gives a response without doing anything positive that might create a backlash.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tom Richardson wrote:I cant see how education works in relation to phone use while driving. As if driving without using a hand held mobile phone is a special skill that needs to be taught.

The education thing seems to be a favorite answer to dangerous driving because it gives a response without doing anything positive that might create a backlash.

My idea of education about mobile use whilst driving would be to frighten bloody life out offenders by showing them videos,crashes and victim statements,etc of how mobile users have affected the lives of other people as a result of mobile use whilst driving.
The problem seems to be that people honestly think they need to use a mobile 24/7 it's become a permanent fixture to the side of their head,and they don't let driving get in the way of that.
IMHO fear of mobile loss,fear of licence loss,fear of a costly fine and fearful education are the only way forward for the law to minimise mobile use whilst driving.There can be no excuses for it end of.
W H Auden
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tom Richardson wrote:I cant see how education works in relation to phone use while driving. As if driving without using a hand held mobile phone is a special skill that needs to be taught.

Not seen this then? :lol:
"42"
gaz

Post by gaz »

The education stage occurs before you get given your driving licence. The enforcement stage follows if you choose to ignore what you were taught. Simples.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

Except that neither appears to be more than 90% effective.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:The education stage occurs before you get given your driving licence. The enforcement stage follows if you choose to ignore what you were taught. Simples.

Forgive me,in my previous post I should've written re-educate mobile driving users :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Nov 2016, 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

You do not have to be educated to understand that using a phone while driving is a criminal offence.

People of all educational levels are inclined to criminality if they think they can get away with it.

Punishment is the way forward for this crime, not education.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ............ making phone use impossible when the motor is running, as demanded by the IAM.
I would agree to that providing you could still dial 999.

There have been occasions that someone is being hassled/chased/threatened and dialled 999. I understand that it is illegal to "use" a mobile phone generally whilst driving, but dialling 999 is allowed.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... I would agree to that providing you could still dial 999.

There have been occasions that someone is being hassled/chased/threatened and dialled 999. I understand that it is illegal to "use" a mobile phone generally whilst driving, but dialling 999 is allowed.

The following is 99% hunch and 1% experience of 999 calls 25 years ago in the early days of mobile phones, when some, perhaps many with the then new technology had nobody in particular to ring. I'd confidently bet there are many more calls of the type "I've been cut up by a car/ van / lorry and I'm chasing him.." with the expectation of launching a police chase, than there are genuine calls for help from someone who is being threatened.