Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

reohn2

Re: Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
meic wrote:.....
China has had unjustified bad press on environmental issues.
Firstly their possibly "barbaric" one child policy was probably the single most beneficial policy decision for the world's environment.
Secondly they are making the greater efforts and changes towards improvement than many of the other industrial nations.

I have no kids so find it difficult to appreciate the family impact of a one child policy. However, for years I have felt that China recognised they had a major issue and took action to address that issue. We may disagree with what they did but they certainly deserve credit for having done something. So often we (humanity) recognises a major issue and we prevaricate, hold meetings, conferences, deny there is an issue or proclaim that addressing the issue will impact the profits streaming to the wealthy elite. We might debate the action China took but at least they did something to (try to) address the problem they faced - which is more than we tend to do.

I also feel that so often people use daft statistics to assess contributors to problems. Climate change where people talk about how little CO2 the UK emits. To me what is relevant is the emissions per head of population. Of course a bigger population will emit more CO2 to measuring emissions based on some historic line on a map is beyond daft.

Ian

+1
I believe China is taking huge steps to reduce it's Co2 output by renewables and nuclear.

With regard to the Gaia theory,IMHO we're a very successful species with unknown technical ability and yet we really don't know what's good for us in the sense that we know where we're going wrong yet refuse to do anything radical about it,perhaps the planet has other ideas.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Don't know if you can believe this due to who posted it. But, I do know that China was commissioning at least one new coal station a week because a brace of machines we produced or they built under licence went into each one. A lot of the coal is filthy low grade brown coal like in India with no flue gas filters or desulphurisation. That, still air and too much vehicular traffic, domestic coal wood and dried poor burning produces dense smog in the cities even today. IMO New Delhi is worse. Lucky us so far away. Lots of their crap must be ending up in the Pacific taken down by rain.

http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2016/0 ... ty-policy/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
meic

Post by meic »

Something more recent from the same source.
http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2017/0 ... fall-2016/
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

Anyone who thinks diesel air pollution is an easy problem hasn't read the last 49 pages or noticed all the protests whenever changing the tax incentives is suggested!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fc101

Post by fc101 »

I don't believe the recent Which? diesel emissions tests have been reported much in the wider media. So, here's the graphical representation of some of the results:

Which! diesel emissions table2_Mar17.jpg

Source: http://press.which.co.uk/whichpressrele ... variation/

Two points are worth highlighting from the accompanying notes:

1. "Which? has tested averages for VW Group cars (VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda), and they are some of lowest measured NOx averages. However, the Euro 5 diesel cars tested are part of the ongoing VW emissions investigation, and so a question mark remains over the results from these cars."

2. "For more information on our tests and how they differ from official EC tests, go to: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cars/art ... -emissions". This Which? testing protocol includes: "How we stop manufacturers from cheating our tests: There is a risk that cars (from any manufacturer, not just VW) could use similar means to detect they are in a lab testing environment and switch to a more economical running mode. To stop any manufacturer confusing our tests, whenever we are suspicious of the NOx emissions we record in the lab, we now run additional test cycles using a Portable Emissions Measuring System (PEMS)."

It is not clear whether Which? invoked use of its PEMS testing in these tests in order to 'defeat' the so-called 'defeat devices', such as those reported in VW Euro 5 diesel cars.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I hear that the MOT smoke tests for diesels are being tightened as from May this year.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I hear that the MOT smoke tests for diesels are being tightened as from May this year.

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/motori ... ffect-you/ is one summary. Do you think it will help?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

New rules on DPFs will accelerate the demise of diesels and prevent cheating the test.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:New rules on DPFs will accelerate the demise of diesels and prevent cheating the test.

...... and still have failed to even investigate the real issue of inappropriate use of motor vehicles all together
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:New rules on DPFs will accelerate the demise of diesels and prevent cheating the test.

...... and still have failed to even investigate the real issue of inappropriate use of motor vehicles all together

How do you mean?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Did you not read the clause "DPF to be fitted unless it can be proven it’s been taken off for repair"
I’m pleased they’ve stopped their plan to extend it to 4yr old vehicles before first test. I’ve seen some vehicles in a hell of a mess at 3yo.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic wrote:

Did you not read the clause "DPF to be fitted unless it can be proven it’s been taken off for repair"
I’m pleased they’ve stopped their plan to extend it to 4yr old vehicles before first test. I’ve seen some vehicles in a hell of a mess at 3yo.

No I hadn't. Do you think that this will result in widespread cheating itself?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:I was ......seriously considering giving up cycling.

Thoughts?

What was your decision then?. :wink:
Last edited by De Sisti on 28 Jan 2018, 12:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:I hear that the MOT smoke tests for diesels are being tightened as from May this year.

Doesn't apply to cars without dpf filters (like mine) (happy to be corrected).
Last edited by De Sisti on 28 Jan 2018, 12:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I'd like to think this is a positive development. At the very least it should filter out some of more extreme polluters (which are currently ably to pass the emissions test with flying colours).

I am hopeful because for those who have paid to have their DPF illegally removed; it probably won't be economical to buy a new one and pay for it to be fitted, so plenty of gross polluters could end up getting early retirement. Also plenty of people who have bought diesel cars and vans on the second hand market are going to be in for a nasty surprise when it turns out the troublesome DPF got illegally removed years ago.

I guess the devil will be in the detail. At the moment the MOT tester just has to see the DPF is fitted and in many instances he/she will just be looking at the outside of an empty case. It will be interesting how they are actually going actually verify the presence of a functional DPF. I doubt if the current 1970's style opacity test will be sensitive enough.