Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

PDQ Mobile

Re: Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Could it be possible, that the smelly smokey diesel vehicles have been weeded out via MOT tests?
Could they have been fixed as a result of an MOT failure?

There's a big difference between now, and my OP in November 2016.

Did you know that all vehicles 40 years or older are about to become MOT (and tax) exempt on May the 20th?
(A dream come true?)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ianrobo wrote:A Federal court case has just concluded in Germany and despite Govt and car manufacturers being against it, the City of Stuttgart (yes home of Mercedes !!) is banning diesel cars from the city centre ....

It can be done if prepared to take these vested interests on

Not quite.. it will be possible to ban older diesel cars, not only in Stuttgart but in many other towns, some quite small
-1, people will have to scrap their old cars and buy new ones €€€ :?
Air is very bad in Stuttgart cos it is in a valley, in many places too steep for roads there are staircases instead like in Edinburgh +1
And a tram that takes bikes uphill but not down

IT still only partially solves the real issue where some petrol and electric cars can cause as much pollution, yet get away with it
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mick F wrote:Could it be possible, that the smelly smokey diesel vehicles have been weeded out via MOT tests?

Did you know that all vehicles 40 years or older are about to become MOT (and tax) exempt on May the 20th?
(A dream come true?)

(Duplicate post)
Last edited by Cunobelin on 24 Apr 2018, 6:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

(A dream come true?)

I believe there is already an exemption from the MOT for all cars before 1960, so this is a change in policy rather than anything new. The VED exemption is already in place.

All this has done is align two pieces of legislation
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was thinking of this thread on Saturday. I was out on my bike, and a late 40s or early 50s farm truck passed me.

That thing stank. I just about choked on the fumes in its wake. It was *far* worse than any of the numerous modern diesel and petrol vehicles (cars, vans, tractors, etc.) that passed me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:
I believe there is already an exemption from the MOT for all cars before 1960, so this is a change in policy rather than anything new. The VED exemption is already in place.

All this has done is align two pieces of legislation

Yes it is an extension of the present position.

Given many folks exasperation with the electronic complexity and expense of modern vehicles we may see a signifcant number of more unregulated vehicles on the road.
Of course some are ok but many do stink as noted by Vorpal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"volkswagen must become even more honest, open, truthful" declared mr diess, the new head honcho :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies