Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

Cyril Haearn

Re: Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

Post by Cyril Haearn »

irc wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Ban cars and it can become a pleasant, social space, quiet enough to have conversation, safe enough for young children to be let off the leash, and pleasant enough to attract all the desirable amenities that make a city worth visiting: bars and cafés, restaurants, art galleries, independent shops, theatres, libraries, museums, and all the other civic institutions. Plus, importantly, homes..

You have nearly described central Glasgow. Long stretches of pedestrianised streets which are now the prime shopping areas. Bus gates, one way streets, and bus/taxi/cycle only streets mean the city centre has few through routes for cars. Even as a car owner I'll often cycle into Glasgow or take the train.

Of course all this pedestrainisation is only possible because in the 1970s the M8 inner city motorway was planned and built taking traffic away from the city centre streets which previously were the through routes.

As far as shopping goes Glasgow city centre has outer area retail park challengers but the experience is not in the same class as wandering along Sauchiehall St, Buchanan St, or Argyle St on a sunny day with the mix of chain stores, independents, old pubs, buskers, and so on. The city centre also has a lot of full time residents these days compared to 30 years ago.

As far as air pollution goes the worst street in Glasgow is Hope Street. At the point it is measured the traffic is mostly taxis and buses. Banning cars won't change that. Bus regulation to prevent private bus operator running every service 3/4 empty through the city centre would be needed.

imgID135427356.jpg.gallery.jpg

Positive thread alert, we love Glasgae!
What are the 'handrails' fitted to the double-deckers upstairs outside at the front?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What are the 'handrails' fitted to the double-deckers upstairs outside at the front?

They’re to knock tree branches away before they take out the windscreen and a passenger with them.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

A Federal court case has just concluded in Germany and despite Govt and car manufacturers being against it, the City of Stuttgart (yes home of Mercedes !!) is banning diesel cars from the city centre ....

It can be done if prepared to take these vested interests on
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ianrobo wrote:A Federal court case has just concluded in Germany and despite Govt and car manufacturers being against it, the City of Stuttgart (yes home of Mercedes !!) is banning diesel cars from the city centre ....

Not quite.. it will be possible to ban older diesel cars, not only in Stuttgart but in many other towns, some quite small
-1, people will have to scrap their old cars and buy new ones €€€ :?
Air is very bad in Stuttgart cos it is in a valley, in many places too steep for roads there are staircases instead like in Edinburgh +1
And a tram that takes bikes uphill but not down
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Samuel D wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What are the 'handrails' fitted to the double-deckers upstairs outside at the front?

They’re to knock tree branches away before they take out the windscreen and a passenger with them.

I suspected that, not sure how effective they are
Maybe the buses could have metal grids fitted like on police riot-control vehicles
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

ianrobo wrote:A Federal court case has just concluded in Germany and despite Govt and car manufacturers being against it, the City of Stuttgart (yes home of Mercedes !!) is banning diesel cars from the city centre ....

Are they banning diesel lorries as well?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MikeF wrote:

There is a lot about it in the media but I haven't noticed anything about trucks
I think cars could be modified but the motor lobby has so much influence, wants to sell more vehicles, grr
Remember the Lupo 3L? It was too light, needed ballast weights, too expensive too
Was that the future?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Of course one problem for governments is that diesel vehicles are significantly more fuel efficient. The result is they generate lower tax revenue, so the more petrol cars are "promoted", the better from their point of view, which then leads to the question of how to tax electricity used in electric vehicles when/if they become significant in number. The tax on DERV used to be very low until the number of diesel vehicles increased. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
MikeF wrote:

There is a lot about it in the media but I haven't noticed anything about trucks
I think cars could be modified but the motor lobby has so much influence, wants to sell more vehicles, grr
Remember the Lupo 3L? It was too light, needed ballast weights, too expensive too
Was that the future?

I've never heard that - can you elaborate? Fantastic residuals, still BTW - hugely sought after, but I understand the point you make there, given it was produced to a spec as opposed to a price.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
MikeF wrote: Are they banning diesel lorries as well?

Was that the future?

I've never heard that - can you elaborate? Fantastic residuals, still BTW - hugely sought after, but I understand the point you make there, given it was produced to a spec as opposed to a price.

I read it on wiki, if only a light driver was on board the back end was too light, the battery was put in the boot plus some weights
I have just bought one actually (Seat Arosa, hoping to get 4L out of it)
It is fun to have such a small vehicle, it turns on a sixpence
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There is a lot about it in the media but I haven't noticed anything about trucks
Was that the future?

I read it on wiki, if only a light driver was on board the back end was too light, the battery was put in the boot plus some weights

Relocating batteries for batter weight distribution is commonplace. What I've never seen, and can't find is any reference to having to ballasta car whose ethos was weight saving?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I've never heard that - can you elaborate? Fantastic residuals, still BTW - hugely sought after, but I understand the point you make there, given it was produced to a spec as opposed to a price.

Relocating batteries for batter weight distribution is commonplace. What I've never seen, and can't find is any reference to having to ballasta car whose ethos was weight saving?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Lupo

In the German version :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

School day today. A bit like the instability in original series Audi TTS necessitating a recall for a spoiler to be fitted.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

36 miles today, and thinking about this diesel thing.
I can honestly say that I saw not one smoky black diesel exhaust. There was the odd smelly diesel, but not many, and I climbed loadsa hills.
36.3miles with 3,974ft of ascent. That's 109.5ft per mile.

I could be wrong .................. but I think - note the word THINK ................ that the diesel issue seems to have gone a bit.
Could it be possible, that the smelly smokey diesel vehicles have been weeded out via MOT tests?
Could they have been fixed as a result of an MOT failure?

There's a big difference between now, and my OP in November 2016.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I don't know whether this has been posted before, and I'm not about to read 63 pages to find out, Mick F, but it may comfort you. It is in an urban setting, though how this affects things I can't think.
Those who travel by car can experience five times higher pollution levels than those who cycle, and three and a half times more than those walking, according to an experiment by academics and campaigners.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... YQc8BqB.99
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?