Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

squeaker

Re: Diesel - seriously thinking of giving up cycling

Post by squeaker »

Mick F wrote:I can avoid Gunnislake Hill by taking the minor unclassified roads, but I still have to get to the top of course. This way, one or two hills are 20% at least, but much of it is easier than the main road ........... but not as quick..

So what's the rush? It's not like you are commuting, is it? As our transatlantic cousins say "slow down and smell the roses" (not too many diesel cars in the USA - plenty of disgusting trucks though!).
"42"
hamster

Post by hamster »

Just remember that the BMA came out wholeheartedly in favour of cycling comparted to the risks of pollution and traffic. You are doing yourself more benefit by riding than the harm you save by inactivity...which has far more serious risks.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Following my earlier comment I've just been to the LBS and bought a Merida hybrid. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :D
Power to the pedals
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote:A diesel under acceleration can pump out black smoke - basically incompletely burned fuel. Worn injectors can also cause it - it's one of the hazards of cycling uphill.
It isn't unusual to see vehicles like this - I doubt that the police will do much unless they are sitting in a car behind it.

DaveP wrote:Maybe not. I get the impression that a lot of people get a diesel car for economic reasons, longevity, fuel costs, etc. then get a shock when they discover the costs of expert attention to the things they can't do for themselves, such as setting up the injection system. How much? Just because its smoking a bit?...

Just to return to this bit: my father was a car mechanic and while I can't fix them, I've seen plenty of broken ones and that behaved unlike any I've seen before. The smoke-dump wasn't linked to acceleration or a noticeable gear shift - it really was like someone had pretty much flicked a switch inside the clean, tidy and rather flash 4x4. People really are modding their engines to do this crap. I fear it may be coming soon to a road near you - but I hope I'm wrong.
[youtube]CpaMDE5qrsA[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpaMDE5qrsA
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I hope that if this comes to the UK, that a law is passed enabling the confiscation of vehicles modified in this way.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It seems to be associated with the American trucks with huge (6.7ltr Cummins is the preferred diesel engine I believe) capacity. I can't see for the life of me why, but I think we're unlikely to see the same thing here any time soon, with our typical 2.0 litres diesels tbh.

Incidentally, another cause of smoky diesels is a failing intercooler causing overfuelling issues - the Volvo D5 is particularly prone, due to an intercooler seemingly made of cheese...
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Living at the top of a hill I've got a reverse problem. The final mile from half of my rides is up a hill whose steepness increases according to the length of the ride before reaching it :D

Not wanting to reduce the rides but acknowledging four score years I drive 5 miles to a railway station that has a little used free car park.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:It seems to be associated with the American trucks with huge (6.7ltr Cummins is the preferred diesel engine I believe) capacity. I can't see for the life of me why, but I think we're unlikely to see the same thing here any time soon, with our typical 2.0 litres diesels tbh.

Big capacity means more smoke, but it really is being done here. Here's a modified Audi A4 Quattro doing it and I think a PD150 is only a 2.0 litre engine. I think what did it to our group may have been a BMW X5 (F15), which has a 3.0 litre.
[youtube]104l5J4YdjA[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=104l5J4YdjA
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:Complain to the police, DVSA and local council about the high-emission vehicles and poor air quality on that road until they do something about it. Write to your MP. Or don't you really care? ;-)

On a related note, weekend before last, the cycling group I was with suffered our first "rolling coal" incident where a normal sounding car overtook and then dumped a huge plume of black smoke as it powered away uphill. As there wasn't a dead car at the top, I'm pretty sure that was an illegal vehicle modification. I wasn't running the camera but I'm going to more often this winter, in the hope that I catch the next clown doing that.

It may well have been the DPF regenerating ie cleaning itself. Apparently they trap particles in a city and then dump by burning off in the countryside. If they have to do that I'd rather it was the other way round.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The PD is the previous generation non common rail 1.9 engine.

That clip's not the UK though.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:The PD is the previous generation non common rail 1.9 engine.

That clip's not the UK though.

Canada, I think. Thanks for the model correction.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
It may well have been the DPF regenerating ie cleaning itself. Apparently they trap particles in a city and then dump by burning off in the countryside. If they have to do that I'd rather it was the other way round.

Possibly so, it needs a period of running at speed before it initiates, which is why many dpfs simply gum up in the hands of owners who have been sold/chosen to buy a wholly unsuitable vehicle for their needs.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ferrit worrier wrote:Mick, what about a senior rail card jump on a train and for a couple of quid you could be miles away. Whats it like to get to Gunny station from yours.
Yes, I've considered the train Gunny/Plymouth, but Plymouth is no fun on a bike. Intermediate stations are of little use to me.

No booking required on the Tamar Valley Line, but if I wanted to go further on the train, it becomes problematical considering GWR policy on bikes. Getting up to the station shortest route is via the "problem hill", so I could go round the lanes.

I'm now getting the idea that I have to change my habits. I like to go for a ride - 10 to 40 miles depending on how I fancy - and be back for lunch. Doing that three or four times a week keeps me sane, but it's a problem during the winter due to the aforementioned pollution from diesels.

Going via the lanes to the top of the hill into Cornwall is fine. No rush is there? :D
The idea of driving away and parking up goes against the grain somewhat, but no doubt I could pick the opportunity with the weather. Recently the weather has been cold and damp and that's what holds the pollution in place. Drier fresher weather would be ok I'm sure but that sort of weather is few and far between in a steep valley during the autumn and winter.

I'm going to give it a go with driving for the next week or so and see how I get on.
Now, I need some circular rides from a car park.

This idea looks good.
30miles.
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 08.44.35.png
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get yourself a bike rack (saves de-wheeling bike) and drive to Dartmoor like route above.
Granite way is quick and quiet no cars there. Go in the railway café at Oakhampton, Carry on (mtb) to army camp and cycle up to High Willays and Yes Tor :)
Have you ever thought of using some of the disused railways on Dartmoor? Just need an old mtb.
Princetown to Burrator. Railway track.
Princetown to Gt Mis tor (yellowmead) Railway track.
Princetown to Cadover bridge. Track and bridlepath.
Princetown to Houndtor. Tracks and paths.
Drive to Oakhampton Army Camp and explore seventy miles of army tracks.

You've probably never seen Dartmoor from those routes............................cant get lost...................the sun is out over moors at the moment............some pubs to pass too.....................

Went out yesterday and the moor was warmer than the damp teign valley.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

I do sympathise, what a horrible predicament when a way to avoid traffic is to create more traffic.
If it were me, I'd ride early mornings, up that hill and away at a time when traffic was at it's least, if there is such a time.
or possibly an electric assist on the bike, climb the hill with ease, it's not something I know much about but I wouldn't have thought a motor and small battery with just enough capacity for the hill would detract too much from riding the bike unassisted the rest of the time.
Whatever you do, I hope you find a way to continue enjoying your cycling.