BC corner campaign

Ruadh495

Re: BC corner campaign

Post by Ruadh495 »

Just out of curiosity; Which European countries actually have this rule in place? We keep being told "it works on the continent". I've seen protected cycleways which proceed across side roads with a pair of dotted lines and so have priority over turning traffic (Netherlands) but does Dutch law actually give cyclists going straight on in the same lane priority over vehicles turning ahead of them?
mjr

Post by mjr »

That seems an odd question. Does any country actually give priority to motorists overtaking and then turning across other vehicles in the same lane? :eek: Not even the UK does that in law, despite common driver practice.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That hardly answers Ruadh's question though. The "overtaking" might have happened a few minutes previously, especially in heavy city traffic, which is I think where this rule would be most applicable. In effect, what you have is cycle traffic moving in a separate lane, official or informal, to the left of the first motor traffic lane. This would apply to vehicles parking as well.

I can't answer Ruadh's question either. I know that many countries have this rule as it applies to pedestrians and separated cycle lanes crossing side roads but I don't know about about the situation above.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I know that Germany certainly has it
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

reohn2 wrote:Except for one thing,you were both in the wrong according to the HC,it was you(vehicle turning left into a side road that should've waited for the pedestrian to cross).

Sort of. Rule 170 doesn't give priority to the pedestrian until they start to cross, which this one didn't. I was expecting to give way, though and only proceeded when it became clear that the pedestrian was expecting me to. It was only later I thought that it was actually right.

reohn2 wrote:The problem is that in the UK(as per my previous post)might has become right(get out of my way I'm bigger than you)even though might is wrong,it has become dominant.
That's why you think the way you do and why it needs challenging,the whole problem is that the tail(motors) is wagging the dog(vulnerable road users).
So much so that a significant amount of motorists think cyclists are a menace and shouldn't be on the roads at all,this notion is published constantly by the right wing press(lycra louts,RLJing,law unto themselves,etc,etc),and anyone who cycles regularly in traffic will testify to the constant and sometimes very dangerous badgering by motors however law abiding they might be.
Pedestrians have learned to have eyes in the back of their heads and keep well out of the way of dangerous and fast motors that dominate our roads,roads that belong to and are paid for by everyone but have been stolen by the might is right attitude of motor driver attitude and the bigger the motor the more wary people are of them.
It' how it's become in the motor-centric society we currently live in,it adds stress to people's lives not just those who aren't driving bu those who are,and furthermore successively poor governments are doing nothing to address the issue by allowing it to continue and a by lack of enforcement of the law actually encouraging a freefor all on UK roads.
The problem is huge,much bigger than anyone realises IMHO.

I can argue with that, especially when I look at the potential cycling has to reduce inactivity, traffic congestion, pollution. The solution is right there, it's the bicycle, but we can't apply it because drivers are making the roads are too hostile to use. My radical suggestion would be a national speed limit of 15mph, after which certain roads could be designated for higher speeds. One of the requirements for a higher speed road would be parallel cycleways to Dutch standards. The higher speed routes would be closed to cycling, but not missed due to the cycleways.

reohn2 wrote:EDIT:-
To illustrate how bad things can be,approaching this junction:-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.48518 ... 312!8i6656
the other day I was turning right,in the middle of the road clearly signalling with my right arm fully extended when I was overtaken on my right by a motor driven by a young woman wearing a nurses uniform,she had ample time and room to overtake on the inside as I'd been in the middle of the road in amle time to give her fair warning,she wasn't speeding.
I needn't explain what the consequences could've been should a car emerged from the junction to the right or a speeding motor come around the bend the opposite way.
This isn't an isolated incident I've had it happen a few times,yet the same driver would never dream of attempting the same manoeuvre if I'd been driving my car.

Isn't that kind of behavior encouraged by the proposed rule though? I know the campaign only applies to cycles and pedestrians, but by the time it's been rewritten a couple of times... Besides: "Very sorry, Officer. I thought the light coming up in my mirror was a moped which would wait".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ruadh495 wrote:Isn't that kind of behavior encouraged by the proposed rule though? I know the campaign only applies to cycles and pedestrians, but by the time it's been rewritten a couple of times... Besides: "Very sorry, Officer. I thought the light coming up in my mirror was a moped which would wait".

No it most definitely isn't anything like the proposed rule,it was a "might is right" illegal and very dangerous manoeuvre that illustrates the attitude of a "how dare you Mr Shouldn't-be-on-MY-road-second-class-citizen-who-I-couldn't-give-a-damn-about" that prevails toward cyclists by many motorists on UK roads today.
I'm of the opinion after 55 years of cycling and motoring that driving standards are plummeting as car use increases,and the attitude toward cyclists has worsened considerably in the last 10years,made worse by the fact that motorists know there's a 99.9% chance they'll get away with the abuse of cyclists(and other road users)due a complete lack of effective policing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden