Anti-helmet pledge

Dick Dastardly

Re:Anti-helmet pledge

Post by Dick Dastardly »

No, I'm not a Buzzard, but then how many of us wear gloves with padded/toughened palms in case we crash and put out our hands?Ditch them? By that reasoning we should ride around starkers as we do not need any protection from anything?!
Maybe if the Buzzard was wearing a helmet it may have got up and dusted itself down and continued on its merry way....
gar

Post by gar »

My thoughts entirely Dastardly
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

I wear gloves for protection in crashes (the one place you'll almost always hit if you fall) however hot it gets, and for padding from roadshock. They also make good nose wipes. Far more useful than a helmet.
gar

Post by gar »

I agree about gloves as nose wipes and very valuable protection indeed from falls.
If I have to fall, I try my best to fall onto my hands and then do a hand spring. It is a bit high to do a head spring from a bike saddle.

The standard of bike mitts is really bad though.
The little black bobbles are useful (NOT for nose wipe) but the design could be so much better.
GreenArrow

Post by GreenArrow »

When I ride my MTB around Afan Argoed, I wear a helmet, so when I fall off into a pile of rocks head-first I stand a chance.

However, when I ride my recumbent trike on the road, I don't wear a helmet. The chances of my falling over are ziltch (the Windcheetah is a very stable beast). If a lorry drives over the top of me, a helmet isn't going to make much difference, I'll be mush anyway, and a helmet is uncomfortable on the 'bent (sticks out at the back into my seat).

Always wore gloves on the MTB as the Gore mite I had (don't do them now) were also perfect to pad hands on bars. Sometimes wear them on the trike- useful when I want to reach down to the front RHS wheel and make sure I haven't picked up any thorns from that bramble that Cardiff City Council allowed to grow across their cycle path...

It's horses for courses, maybe the helmet lobby will realise that?
argentville

Post by argentville »

Mountain biking is probably the most important time to think about head protection as these bike seem to be designed to tip head over heals presumably to make bunny jumping easier.
I have worn a helmet for the last 15 years and like wearing a helmet because a bright helmet improves my visibility, stops my hat blowing off, keeps me dryer in rain and warm in winter! I would advise anyone not to take their helmet off as the only times I have hit my head was getting off a train and getting on a ferry both times when I was off the bike! Come to think of it perhaps everyon should wear helmets and ear defenders to protect you from the noise of loud sirens and traffic.
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

I've ditched the lid for commuting as it is just too nconvenient. I'm still wearing it for longer rides though. I too have been glad of its protection many times when walking throuh low doors etc off the bike!
sportyman531

Post by sportyman531 »

Since coming off my bike nearly five years ago being knocked out and having 8 stitches through my eyebrow I've worn a helmet ....but not all the time!
Of course if I had been wearing a helmet I might have had a broken jaw instead.
When I went to the south of France that year I didn't bother taking the helmet, far too hot and of course France is cycle friendly.
On the Northern Dales 200k this year the helmet came off at Langthwaite (half way round) for the climb to Tan Hill and stayed off for the rest of the day. And long may we continue to have freedom of choice.
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

If people are going to continue to be allowed to smoke then why can't we take a minutely increased risk in an activity immensely beneficial to our health?
By logic a complete smoking ban should be a pre-requisite for helmet compulsion.
Perhaps that's a fair trade off?