CTC Travel Insurers Require Helmet

irc

Re: CTC Travel Insurers Require Helmet

Post by irc »

An update. I'm going (helmetless) with ETA Travel Insurance. I read on a forum elsewhere they had no helmet requirement. I don't see any mention in the policy docs. Quote was a reasonable price.

Website wording re cycling is

Cycling holidays

ETA travel insurance covers cycling and you can claim for a stolen bike under the valuables section of the policy. The annual multi-trip policy covers bicycles with an insured value up to £1,000. A single trip policy covers bicycles up to £500.

https://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/travel/ ... -we-cover/

Policy documents don't mention helmets.

I did actually try on a few helmets. Not comfortable. And I'll be in a hot dry climate where I'll want sweat cooling me as effectively as possible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

irc wrote:An update. I'm going (helmetless) with ETA Travel Insurance.

Sadly, not an option for me because they refuse to cover existing conditions if your medication has been adjusted in the previous twelve months or if you've sought any non-routine medical advice about the condition. Another "health" insurer incentivising people not to attend regular medication reviews! :roll:

The £10 extra for not giving them unfettered access to your bank account (direct debit) seems a bit steep, too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CJ

Post by CJ »

I'm in the process of compiling a comparison table of the main features of the several insurances recommended here, which I'm extracting from a detailed study of their terms and conditions. Excluding cycling from Personal Injury and Liability cover does indeed seem a common tactic (Insure and Go add insult to injury by excluding only cycle-touring from these benefits!) but it is not universal.

On the strength of my researches so far, I've cancelled the ETA policy I'd just taken out, because SportsCover Direct is clearly a better product at an equally keen price. Probably because activity is a central theme of this insurance, there don't seem to be any naughty exclusions from cover for the activities covered. Loss of your equipment (i.e. your bike) is separately covered from your other belongings (although the sum insured is paltry unless you go for Gold) and if you need to be repatriated, they don't leave it behind. So AFAICT it does everything that Cyclecover does, but without the helmet and other quibbles.

But if anyone has any other suggestions for helmet-free cycle-touring insurance, tell me and I'll add it to my comparison table. I find it rather interesting, by the way, to see which other countries insurers include with geographical Europe: countries which lie on the other side of the Mediterranean, Black Sea, Caucasus and Urals. Most insurers throw in Morocco and Tunisia - but not all - whilst some include such outlandish lands as Armenia and Azerbaijan!

This is a copy of a post I made in another thread that's running on this subject in Touring & Expedition.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Chris there is AGM motion topic in the Helmet section, just wondering if a suitable motion regarding Cycling UK finding the best available insurers for touring, without helmet requirements, could be put?
CJ

Post by CJ »

Steady rider wrote:Chris there is AGM motion topic in the Helmet section, just wondering if a suitable motion regarding Cycling UK finding the best available insurers for touring, without helmet requirements, could be put?

No need. Matt Mallinder (CUK Marketing Manager) called me to advise that he's onto this, and that one way or another, the organisation WILL hook up with a travel insurance policy that supports helmet-free cycling - for ordinary travel and transport purposes at least.
His phone call began with the explanation that this unfortunate change in interpretation of their terms, by Citybond, the current providers of Cyclecover, became manifest too late to source a new provider before the 2019 holiday booking season got going. And Citybond (perhaps aware that they've got CUK in a cleft stick, my interpretation not his) aren't budging. So in the short term, CUK is stuck with an unsuitable insurance product. But in the medium term, they firmly intend to fix that.

My recommendation in the meantime is Sportscover Direct.
Chris Juden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Fantastic work Chris :)

(As an aside, I only recently discovered ETA as a campaigning organisation. Haven't looked into them in detail, but if all other things *were* equal I'd rather give them my cash than to A.N.Other-Insurer )
CJ

Post by CJ »

I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).
Chris Juden
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Very interesting, looks like CycleCover requires helmets and not the others.

Sportscover Direct - not sure about there medical cover and repatriation? may be I am missing their meaning.

Are You Travelling abroad?

If you are going abroad take a look at our Sports Travel insurance to cover your whole trip, or if you already have travel cover but need extra cover for your sport or activity for a day(s), look at our Activity TopUp insurance. Whilst our Sports Accident insurance is valid worldwide, the benefits do not include cover for medical treatment abroad or repatriation.

If you break a leg in some far off place getting home may cost.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Steady rider wrote:Very interesting, looks like CycleCover requires helmets and not the others.

Whole point of comparison was to find (those few?) insurers who don't require a helmet and compare with CycleCover, which previously didn't, but now does.
Steady rider wrote:Sportscover Direct - not sure about there medical cover and repatriation? may be I am missing their meaning.

It isn't obvious so I used Sportscover Direct's online chat to ask them: "If I have a medical emergency that requires my repatriation, would my sports equipment - specifically my bicycle - be repatriated also." The answer came (to the effect) that my baggage including sports equipment would be repatriated.

EDIT: Sports Accident Insurance is another product entirely. I've not looked at it, but I imagine it's something like the third-party insurance you get from being a member of CTC (or supporter of CUK).
Chris Juden
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks Chris.
Extremely useful to know that Citybond have gone plastic hat.

Great to see the alternative candidates. That's saved me a lot of work.