Cyclists demonised in paper, todays metro

Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Makes me so angry, why refer to a mindless thug as a cyclist, just because he had a cycle with him at the time?

pjclinch

Re: Cyclists demonised in paper, todays metro

Post by pjclinch »

Because the cycling (on the footpath, where he shouldn't have been cycling) is actually a relevant part of the story.

I don't see it's painting all of us as folk who'll stab pensioners who point out we're breaking the law.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79237 ... 6656?hl=en

Looking at the road, the pavements are wide, the cycle lane fairly narrow on at least one side, not sure of precise location of incident. A sad situation leading to a death. I think this is the location see
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79235 ... m6!1e1!3m4
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79235 ... 6656?hl=en
Last edited by Steady rider on 6 Jan 2017, 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

If the victim had been wearing a helmet surely they would still be alive, only got themselves to blame... :roll:

This type of reporting will always fan the flames, we already know that people liken people on bikes to devils spawn. This isn't even a cycling statistic is it, the act did not happen whilst the person was actually cycling but the media will use any opportunity to bash cycling and people on bikes and yes the general public do take this on board and paint 'us' all with the same brush.

RIP to the victim and his family, no way to die.
gaz

Post by gaz »

pjclinch wrote:Because the cycling (on the footpath, where he shouldn't have been cycling) is actually a relevant part of the story.

I don't see it's painting all of us as folk who'll stab pensioners who point out we're breaking the law.

+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The Metro headline is more accurate than yours, OP.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

gaz wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Because the cycling (on the footpath, where he shouldn't have been cycling) is actually a relevant part of the story.

+1

+2
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't see anything wrong with the article. I see a great deal wrong with the cyclist's behaviour, and the sentence seems quite appropriate - lenient, even.

We have to accept that when someone commits a crime whilst, or just after, riding a bicycle, they're going to be referred to as a 'cyclist' in the crime report. That's not 'demonisation' as I see it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:If the victim had been wearing a helmet surely they would still be alive, only got themselves to blame... :roll:
crass in the extreme :? :evil:

This type of reporting will always fan the flames, we already know that people liken people on bikes to devils spawn.

To some people that's true,but then some people will consider any other groups of 'outsiders' to be "devils spawn",including pensioners and the disabled.

This isn't even a cycling statistic is it, the act did not happen whilst the person was actually cycling but the media will use any opportunity to bash cycling and people on bikes and yes the general public do take this on board and paint 'us' all with the same brush.

It's a cycling story,someone's cycling on the pavement causing an obstruction is tackled for it by someone more vulnerable than them and this is how they react.
Does the story sound familiar if you substitute cyclist for motorist and pedestrian for cyclist?

You got there in the end.
Last edited by reohn2 on 6 Jan 2017, 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:If the victim had been wearing a helmet surely they would still be alive, only got themselves to blame... :roll:

This type of reporting will always fan the flames, we already know that people liken people on bikes to devils spawn.

To some people that's true,but then some people will consider any other groups of 'outsiders' to be "devils spawn".

This isn't even a cycling statistic is it, the act did not happen whilst the person was actually cycling but the media will use any opportunity to bash cycling and people on bikes and yes the general public do take this on board and paint 'us' all with the same brush.

It's a cycling story,someone's cycling on the pavement causing an obstruction is tackled for it by someone more vulnerable than them and this is how they react.
Does the story sound familiar if you substitute cyclist for motorist and pedestrian for cyclist?

+1 .. :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mattyfez wrote:Makes me so angry, why refer to a mindless thug as a cyclist, just because he had a cycle with him at the time?

Person on bike = cyclist,pretty obvious.
Thug yes,but also a cyclist too.
W H Auden
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

The aggressor could have been vegetarian for all we know, but sadly the headline didn't read 'vegetarian kills veteran'.

So we'll never know the full extent of how aggressive vegetarians can be.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 wrote:

To some people that's true,but then some people will consider any other groups of 'outsiders' to be "devils spawn",including pensioners and the disabled.

My thoughts exactly. +1 No cheap laughs from me [emoji107]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mattyfez wrote:The aggressor could have been vegetarian for all we know, but sadly the headline didn't read 'vegetarian kills veteran'.

But what we do know is that he was a cyclist and a thug,that's all we need to know in the context of the offence he's committed.
What he had for dinner is irrelevant,as is the colour of his hair,eyes,skin,religion,height,etc,etc.
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Mattyfez wrote:The aggressor could have been vegetarian for all we know, but sadly the headline didn't read 'vegetarian kills veteran'.

I really don't think this is an opportunity to try out your inappropriate sense of humour. [emoji107]

If your reasons as a 'cyclist' and OP, aren't about genuine concern for media labelling or the victim; then being a 'cyclist' is exactly the label I don't want. Your opinions on a terrible incident do not represent me.

Sincerely,

A person who uses a bike.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 6 Jan 2017, 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.