"Cyclists use cycle lanes .... motorists are the road users" - Grayling

661-Pete

Re: "Cyclists use cycle lanes .... motorists are the road users" - Grayling

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not sure what would have happened in the films had Brunel's broad gauge (7'0,25") been used.
Well, there'd have probably been a lot more bit part opportunities for Peter ("Chewbacca") Mayhew and similar actors. Though even he would have needed to stretch a bit, I reckon...
Not that I bear Mr Mayhew any ill-will, please understand!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Not sure what would have happened in the films had Brunel's broad gauge (7'0,25") been used.
Well, there'd have probably been a lot more bit part opportunities ........

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

Failing Grayling wrote:“Motorists in London have got to be immensely careful of cyclists,” he said.

He makes it sound like that's a bad thing. Surely people (particularly motorists) should be careful of other road users at all times.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MikeF wrote:London has too many badly designed cycle lanes and too many cyclists who ignored the rules of the road, he said.

“I don’t think all the cycle lanes in London have been designed as well as they should have been,” he said.

“There are places where they perhaps cause too much of a problem for road users and they could have been designed in a smarter way.”

He pointed out: “As Transport Secretary, I can only watch, because it is a matter for the Mayor.”

Mr Grayling, a non-cyclist, said too many riders ignored red traffic lights on their journeys in the capital.

“Motorists in London have got to be immensely careful of cyclists,” he said.

“At the same time, cyclists in London are too often unwilling to obey the road signs. I’ve seen regular examples of people who just bolt through red lights.

“The growth of cycling is a good thing. But good cycling is responsible cycling.”

What did he supposedly mean?

Translation:
Cyclists are ****, but I'm not allowed to say that because I'm the Transport Secretary, so I will rely on tired stereotypes, instead.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mr Grayling, a non-cyclist, said too many riders ignored red traffic lights on their journeys in the capital.
"At the same time, cyclists in London are too often unwilling to obey the road signs."
It's regrettable that he made remarks like that, even though they're manifestly true. One cyclist who ignores a red light without reason, is one cyclist too many. Just as one road death is one death too many. We all know it, but we don't all blurt it out all the time.

The trouble is that such remarks engender hostile attitudes and behaviour, from less well-informed readers (if it could possibly be that anyone is less well-informed than Mr G. :twisted: ). This is an individual who is charged with overseeing our transport network in all its forms and varieties. Could be a lot more diplomatic....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
"At the same time, cyclists in London are too often unwilling to obey the road signs."
It's regrettable that he made remarks like that, even though they're manifestly true. One cyclist who ignores a red light without reason, is one cyclist too many. Just as one road death is one death too many. We all know it, but we don't all blurt it out all the time.

The other thing is that as I travel about I see far,far more motorists RLJing than I ever see cyclists doing it.
That said if I were an RLJing cyclist(which I'm not)I would surely make sure there was nothing coming on the opposing carriageway,becaus ,and here is the rub,it'd be me in the back of the ambulance or on the mortuary slab.
Whereas motorists who do it are far,far less likely to come to any kind of bodily harm such is the construction and safety features found in modern motors.

The trouble is that such remarks engender hostile attitudes and behaviour, from less well-informed readers (if it could possibly be that anyone is less well-informed than Mr G. :twisted: ). This is an individual who is charged with overseeing our transport network in all its forms and varieties. Could be a lot more diplomatic....

It's what you get by having morons running the show,a pretty bad and moronic show.
Though everyone knows cyclists are the devil incarnate,goes without(acually) saying innit! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Grayling is a non-cyclist. Not clear whether he learnt to cycle. Boardman has offered to take him out, maybe on the back of a long Barrow?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies