Nicole Cooke, Cycling Role Model ?

landsurfer

Nicole Cooke, Cycling Role Model ?

Post by landsurfer »

Or .. Out of touch with modern / current women cycling scene and British Cycling support for Women .... discuss ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Spinners

Re: Nicole Cooke, Cycling Role Model ?

Post by Spinners »

To paraphrase the wise words of Eric Morecombe, "I like her".
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

landsurfer wrote:Or .. Out of touch with modern / current women cycling scene and British Cycling support for Women .... discuss ..

That BC support for women is almost certainly better than it was is not the same as it being as good as for the men, and that the road racing environment is sexist well beyond the boundaries of BC also doesn't absolve them of their shortcomings. Cooke is a credible witness: she got to the top and has nothing much to gain personally from saying what she does. I would suggest that when top-drawer cyclists like Cooke and Pooley are scathingly outspoken and are widely dismissed as whiners that could well be an indication of the extent of the problem more than that they're prone to having a whinge.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Or .. Out of touch with modern / current women cycling scene and British Cycling support for Women .... discuss ..

That BC support for women is almost certainly better than it was is not the same as it being as good as for the men, and that the road racing environment is sexist well beyond the boundaries of BC also doesn't absolve them of their shortcomings. Cooke is a credible witness: she got to the top and has nothing much to gain personally from saying what she does. I would suggest that when top-drawer cyclists like Cooke and Pooley are scathingly outspoken and are widely dismissed as whiners that could well be an indication of the extent of the problem more than that they're prone to having a whinge.

Pete.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Do we think then that Cooke and Pooley (for example) where successful in spite of BC not as a result of support provided by BC ?
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Do we think then that Cooke and Pooley (for example) where successful in spite of BC not as a result of support provided by BC ?

Or could they have been better athletes with better support from BC?
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Do we think then that Cooke and Pooley (for example) where successful in spite of BC not as a result of support provided by BC ?

BETTER !..... Than Commonwealth, Olympic and World road race champion .... What .... champion of Mars !!?? :roll:
:)
Be more Mike.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

BETTER !..... Than Commonwealth, Olympic and World road race champion .... What .... champion of Mars !!?? :roll:
:)

Nicole Cooke was surely an amazing champion, but there's always room for better. Name any cyclist who couldn't have won more than they did.

The impression I've picked up over the years is BC did a lot short of what might reasonably have been expected of them where the women's road programme has been concerned.

BC have just hired an image management firm, expecting a credibility crisis. They are, perhaps, not entirely the most reliable source of what's been going down. If only a tenth of what Cooke describes is true that's still, frankly, pretty damning.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have supplied a link which is what I think we are talking about?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ccountable

"When asked whether she found Team Sky’s claims that they are running the cleanest team in cycling credible, Cooke was blunt. “No,” she replied firmly. “I think the stance of being the ‘cleanest’ team and yet the team principal Sir Dave Brailsford not knowing what the riders were treated with, definitely makes it hard to back up that claim.”

That was a reference to British Cycling and Team Sky failing to definitely answer what was in the jiffy bag delivered by the British Cycling coach Simon Cope to Team Sky in 2011. As Cooke put it: “I find it very surprising that if Cope is transporting something internationally by aeroplane, he didn’t know what he was transporting. I find that astonishing. And the fact that British Cycling, when asked for the records of something they had stored apparently within their building, weren’t able to acquire the documentation – I find that surprising too.”
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:
Nicole Cooke was surely an amazing champion, but there's always room for better. Name any cyclist who couldn't have won more than they did.

The impression I've picked up over the years is BC did a lot short of what might reasonably have been expected of them where the women's road programme has been concerned.

BC have just hired an image management firm, expecting a credibility crisis. They are, perhaps, not entirely the most reliable source of what's been going down. If only a tenth of what Cooke describes is true that's still, frankly, pretty damning.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,saved a bit of typing did that :)
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Beryl Burton forever!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Beryl Burton forever!

+1

Beryl did us all proud .... Shame she is not better known amongst modern cyclists .....
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Beryl Burton forever!

+1

Beryl did us all proud .... Shame she is not better known amongst modern cyclists .....

Whilst I agree she's a bit like asking modern cyclists if they know who Reg Harris was or Tommy Simpson you'd get mostly blank looks from anyone under 35.
They're people of their time,it's a different world and sadly for most people history is too dusty to bother with :( .
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

History has no place compared to the pursuit of the latest phone or plastic fantastic bicycle .....
And when did we stop being "cyclists" and become "bike riders" ....("Bike" channel coverage of the tour down under).
Rode past the Tommy Simpson memorial on Sunday, .... I know he was a volunteer not a victim, (well possibly of the system ) .. but my generation is more in touch with Alf Engers and John Woodburn...or even John Pritchard.
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:History has no place compared to the pursuit of the latest phone or plastic fantastic bicycle .....
And when did we stop being "cyclists" and become "bike riders" ....("Bike" channel coverage of the tour down under).
Rode past the Tommy Simpson memorial on Sunday, .... I know he was a volunteer not a victim, (well possibly of the system ) .. but my generation is more in touch with Alf Engers and John Woodburn...or even John Pritchard.

Ian Hibell or Wayfarer for me :D
W H Auden