Succes in Elite Sport, does it lead to more participation?

TrevA

Succes in Elite Sport, does it lead to more participation?

Post by TrevA »

I'm currently watching a programme on the Iplayer called Medal Myth, about whether medal success leads to more people taking up sport. The general evidence seems to suggest that it doesn't but I wonder whether cycling has bucked that trend.

British Cycling has increased its membership from 30,000 to over 100,000. My own cycling club has gone from 80 members to over 130 with more joining all the time. I see lots of new cycling clubs springing up locally, so has participation in cycling increased? I think it has.

Cycling is perhaps almost unique (along with running, walking and swimming) in that you can do it, without having to do it competitively. You can build it into your day. You can't football or shot putt your way to work.

So I think that participation in cycling has increased, but is that due to Olympic and Tour de France success?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
landsurfer

Re: Succes in Elite Sport, does it lead to more participation?

Post by landsurfer »

Do not confuse an increase in membership with an increase in participation ..... how many of the 70K where already cycling for years before the advertising campaign based around Olympic success pointed leisure cyclists toward BC and it's inexpensive insurance ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think that the media especially the BBC are pushing the word "Inspired" even more than "amazing", but I would prefer to see some stats that hold up and not just whilst the sport is aired, like tennis it was said that the courts fill up when Wimbledon is on.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: I would prefer to see some stats that hold up and not just whilst the sport is aired, like tennis it was said that the courts fill up when Wimbledon is on.

Totally agree, when the Olympic cycling and TdeF are on the lanes of South Yorkshire are choked with cyclists ...... and then ... they disappear.

However on my ride this morning i was passed by 3 cycling club groups ... 2 grunted and 1 (which i could not identify, black and yellow shirts) all waved and shouted "Good morning" as they passed me in Harworth .... top chaps all...
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: I would prefer to see some stats that hold up and not just whilst the sport is aired, like tennis it was said that the courts fill up when Wimbledon is on.

Totally agree, when the Olympic cycling and TdeF are on the lanes of South Yorkshire are choked with cyclists ...... and then ... they disappear.

However on my ride this morning i was passed by 3 cycling club groups ... 2 grunted and 1 (which i could not identify, black and yellow shirts) all waved and shouted "Good morning" as they passed me in Harworth .... top chaps all...

What happened when you caught them later on down the road :? ................ :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

TrevA wrote:
So I think that participation in cycling has increased, but is that due to Olympic and Tour de France success?

I think it is plus a sharp increase in commuting by bicycle due to increased motoring costs. Certainly very noticeable where I live.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

An extract from the year end records during my time as club secretary

2002 237
    2003 225 -12
    2004 253 +28
    2005 284 +31
    2006 295 +11
    2007 330 +33
    2008 372 +42
    2009 418 +46
    2010 459 +41
    2011 464 +5
    2012 475 +11
    2013 489 +14
    at 20th Sept 2014 513 +24

The non-renewal rate remained constantly between 15 and 17% throughout this time.
Being in Kent the 2007 Tour de France probably had an effect but I suspect not for 2008 and 2009. Having 10 different groups to cater for all abilities is the more likely reason.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What happened when you caught them later on down the road :? ................ :lol:

I only pass cycling clubs going the other way lol ..... my totally enjoyable 42 mile bimble, average speed 13.8mph was lovely as the sun shone on the fields of South Yorkshire .... I passed through 5 "pit villages" ...... but not a pit to be seen except for Harworth's waste land...
Be more Mike.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Anecdotal, but I've seen increased participation locally.

Near me, there are now 4 cycling clubs in West Bridgford (mainly because they keep falling out with each other!), whereas 10 years ago there were none, there's a club in Bingham, another in Flintham, all within a 5 mile radius of where I live.

I've also seen the rise of, for want of a better word, the pub club. Based at a local hostelry, they are informal affairs, run mainly through Facebook, but have organised rides 4 or 5 times a week. Velo Club Bread and Bitter and Poppy and Pint Velo are 2 examples.

Out on a ride, 10 years ago you might see the odd cyclist but it was rare to encounter another club group, but now we see 4 or 5 other clubs on every ride. As well as small groups of 3 or 4 riding together.

We now get 40 riders out on our Saturday rides, spread across 3 groups, whereas 10 years ago we didn't even have a Saturday ride and were only getting 10 on the Sunday ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com