Enforcement priorities

thirdcrank

Enforcement priorities

Post by thirdcrank »

Excuse me while I trot out one of my tired warhorses.

Today's eye-catching initiative from the govt., is a new initiative against domestic violence which will be overseen by nobody less than the prime minister herself.

It is unclear what shape the Domestic Violence and Abuse Act might take, but the government is consulting with experts who work with victims of abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39011224

I won't comment on the merits of this but it will inevitably lead to a further transfer of effort and resources from uniform patrol - including traffic policing - to investigation. It's ironic that the justification for not investigating all but the most serious of crashes was partly explained by not doing the insurance companies' work for them. I fancy we are edging towards a time when they will be doing more of what has hitherto been the divorce solicitors' work for them. Fair enough, but don't expect an increase in police attention to things like punishment passes.

It's interesting that not many eyes can have been caught since this disappeared off the first page of the BBC www within a few hours, displaced by a story about day-old chicks being dumped, among others.