Poll of cycle accidents

If you have had a significant cycle accident, was a vehicle involved?

1 accident where a vehicle was involved
27%
1 accident where a vehicle was not involved
38%
2 accidents where a vehicle was involved
17%
2 accidents where a vehicle was not involved
6%
3 accidents where a vehicle was involved
2%
3 accidents where a vehicle was not involved
4%
4 accidents where a vehicle was involved
4%
4 accidents where a vehicle was not involved
No votes
5 or more accidents where a vehicle was involved
No votes
5 or more accidents where a vehicle was not involved
2%

Total votes: 48

BigFoz

Re: Poll of cycle accidents

Post by BigFoz »

I guess my "yoofull" racing endeavours count badly against me here, as While I've only had 1 "proper" accident with a car, I've planted in races countless times with no car necessary... Also had 2 or 3 biggies all on my own, clipped a kerb, encountered gravel while going too fast to avoid it in a corner, got front and rear wheels either side of a serious berm on a MTB.

Not sure what it really tells us from a survey point. If you race track or road, you're far more likely to crash, even when not racing because you need to also go fast in training.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

BigFoz wrote:I guess my "yoofull" racing endeavours count badly against me here, as While I've only had 1 "proper" accident with a car, I've planted in races countless times with no car necessary... Also had 2 or 3 biggies all on my own, clipped a kerb, encountered gravel while going too fast to avoid it in a corner, got front and rear wheels either side of a serious berm on a MTB.

Not sure what it really tells us from a survey point. If you race track or road, you're far more likely to crash, even when not racing because you need to also go fast in training.
I suffered two bad accidents caused by new commuters on bikes riding aggressively and mindlessly. Both hit and runs caused expensive cycle damage and hospitalisation. A couple of near misses caused by the same. One fashion I have noticed is overtaking on the inside and hot headedness. That's along with the aggression and entitlement some people on bikes have. My experience has been no accidents for over 35 years of cycling and then two bad ones caused by bike riders. I feel I was safer when there was less bike riders on the road.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Moto G (4) using hovercraft full of eels.
RichK

Post by RichK »

The only significant accident I've ever had whilst cycling wasn't even on the road (off road section of NCN5, so allegedly segregated!) when I was hit head on by a **** on a motor scooter. Turns out he was unlicenced, uninsured, untaxed & had the plate removed.
ronnie_winn

Post by ronnie_winn »

Both my significant injuries were caused by poor road surfaces, one thirty years ago and one three years ago and I am still suffering from both injuries, but I still cycle in all but the worst weather conditions.
Last edited by Graham on 28 Feb 2018, 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Tapatalk spam
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I have had more accidents than I care to remember and one thing that occurs to me is that some that proved to be fairly insignificant in terms of injury could, with worse luck, have been fatal. For example, my latest involved coming off on black ice at a junction and sliding just a few feet further would have carried me under a heavy lorry. So what has caused unpleasant bruising might have proved very serious.

I have been hit several times by cars, but only been to hospital twice as a result of motorists, the first time for mouth stitching, second time with dislocated collar bone. On reflection I would only unequivocally blame the second motorist (turned right across me in very good visiblity at a junction). The first motorist hit me coming out from my left in the dark on a tree lined road when I had dark clothing and a fairly powerful dynamo light but down on the right fork (this was 1976).

I got a broken arm when a lad of about 15 on a bike swerved into me as I overtook him (he'd spotted broken glass). Nowadays I ring my bell when overtaking.
p.s. I’m not counting coming off my fairy bike at age 7, when I had to have the end of my tongue stitched and couldn’t eat my Easter Eggs (it happened on Good Friday). :(
PRL

Post by PRL »

millimole wrote: only once had to visit hospital as a result of a cycling injury - in that case no other vehicle was involved (only a dog and its walker).

My only lasting damage (dislocated collar bone) came about when a dog overtook me from behind then ran in front.

Perhaps "dog" should have been added to the poll.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

geomannie wrote:In cycle campaigning much focus is given to the need to separate cyclists from vehicles on the basis that this makes it safer for cyclists.

Whilst I have no doubt that is likely to be true,

Quite the opposite, the main problem with separated cycle tracks is that they dramatically increase the likelihood of collisions with motor vehicles. Superficially this may appear counter intuitive, but most crashes happen at junctions – and separate cycle tracks result in vehicles approach a junction from unexpected and difficult to see directions. The relative danger of various manoeuvres (compared to riding straight ahead on the carriageway) can be seen here (the schematic is for driving on the right):
This is why cycle campaigners have traditionally been sceptical of segregation. It is only very recently since the advent of Sustrans that cycle tracks have become fashionable in cycle campaigning circles, though the auto-centric highway engineers have always wanted to force us out of the way of important people in cars.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I assume Pete Owens is trying to link that 30 year old diagram From Lund University again. It does not support the claim.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It seems to be intrinsic in questionnaires (which this is) that the questions, although well intended, overlook the complexities that lead to my answers. So I avoid answering because if I do I help to lead people to a false conclusion.

One of my first two significant cycling accidents happened when I was a kid and I cycled down a street on a tricycle with a cloth over my head and slammed into the back of a parked car. So a vehicle was involved. But to add that to a list of accidents involving vehicles would be daft.

Also, I've been cycling on roads for more than fifty years, so if I could think of five significant accidents that would be one a decade. And only two of my accidents needed medical treatment, and both of those were before I reached the age of ten. Neither kept me off the bike for more than a day. So my own experience has been dominated by a lack of significant accidents.
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

meic wrote:It might of been interesting to see how many on the forum had had no significant accidents.
Nothing significant in 60 years of cycling although I have fallen off many times -gravel rash occasionally, a stitch to my chin once. Never another cyclist nor a motor vehicle involved. Dogs have run in front of me and once a pedestrian unexpectedly stepped into the road to eject me but on most occasions, entirely my fault.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I still wondering what is meant by Serious, I have only had one accident in 50+ years of cycling which has required hospital treatment and that involved another cyclists, which is not what I believe is meant by vehicle, I have had Plenty of prat falls over the years, have resulted in grazes, road rash, Cuts and bruises.

I have had several brushes with cars where I haven't been injured, Do they count. One was near enough head on and I was thrown on to the bonnet rolled up the windscreen and off the other side. Another a car pulled out as I was passing caught my wheel which cart wheeled me off the bike I got up with small tear in my tights, probably caused by the bike as I exited, and not so much as a scratch to me. both of those incidents could have had different outcomes had I fallen unlucky.
NUKe

Post by Carpediem »

Yes luck plays a big part in accident outcomes.
Most spills I've had have been my own fault, mostly while Mtbing and often happened when I was in my so called 'comfort zone'.
Age and experience has taught me to be especially careful here...you can never switch off.