What would be expected of a competent and careful driver,

Barks

Re: What would be expected of a competent and careful driver,

Post by Barks »

While I feel enormous sympathy for the individuals, if they are that susceptible to losing consciousness then surely they should not be driving?
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

Barks wrote:While I feel enormous sympathy for the individuals, if they are that susceptible to losing consciousness then surely they should not be driving?

that susceptible, yes.
But for most with diabetes on insulin, the situation is something like a 'healthy person' becoming tired while driving.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

At the risk of being unpopular I would suggest that whatever your medical condition and any outcomes, you are still responsible for your actions and their outcomes. Even a fatal heart attack is not the person you hits fault therefore its yours. Inability to prevent something cannot absolve you of blame. Harsh maybe but that doesn't prevent it being fair. Chasing injury through your inability torevent it is still an injury and thus your responsibility in the same way as you, as an adult, would accept responsibility for your child's actions.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattsccm wrote:At the risk of being unpopular I would suggest that whatever your medical condition and any outcomes, you are still responsible for your actions and their outcomes. Even a fatal heart attack is not the person you hits fault therefore its yours. Inability to prevent something cannot absolve you of blame. Harsh maybe but that doesn't prevent it being fair. Chasing injury through your inability torevent it is still an injury and thus your responsibility in the same way as you, as an adult, would accept responsibility for your child's actions.

There are few true accidents,usually it's someone's fault by negligence.
Fatal heart attack isn't one of them,that is a true accident,I've had a(slight) heart attack,I never saw it coming and thought initially it was a bit of indigestion,not a pleasant experience on an MTB miles from anywhere on a lonely moorland trail.
What a massive one that would kill me feels like I wouldn't like to guess,but if everyone thought such an attack were a possibility at any time,they wouldn't set foot out of their front door.
So lets keep the debate reasonable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mattsccm wrote:At the risk of being unpopular I would suggest that whatever your medical condition and any outcomes, you are still responsible for your actions and their outcomes. Even a fatal heart attack is not the person you hits fault therefore its yours. Inability to prevent something cannot absolve you of blame. Harsh maybe but that doesn't prevent it being fair. Chasing injury through your inability torevent it is still an injury and thus your responsibility in the same way as you, as an adult, would accept responsibility for your child's actions.
We all have a "medical condition", but most of us don't know what that is and may never know. If we don't know what that is, how can we prevent it??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No - there are some things which cannot be accounted for.

If however I am epileptic, and my condition is not yet under control, then the DVLA quite rightly insist that I don't drive. To do so under those circumstances would be foolish, and an accident ensuing would be blameworthy. Of course there is always the undiagnosed epileptic - if your first fit is behind the wheel then the injuries sustained by you, or those around you, are an accident in the purest form.

Heart attacks and strokes can come without warning, and can hit anyone. If I am driving tomorrow and suffer a massive heart attack, and whilst completely unconscious (or even dead) the car continues onto a pavement and hits a group of pedestrians then that is not my 'fault'.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.