Kickstarter - CyclingUK asking for donations to fund "close pass" mats.

thirdcrank

Re: Kickstarter - CyclingUK asking for donations to fund "close pass" mats.

Post by thirdcrank »

An update on a long-running topic.

While reading about the enforcement of coronavirus regs I came across this about Operation Close Pass in Derbyshire:-

'Operation Close Pass' will taking place across the county, between 23-29 November 2020. This initiative will focus on educating road users to ensure they provide a safe passing distance to cyclists when overtaking and advising cyclists on riding safely and legally.

https://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/d ... -cyclists/

I was going to ask if any local riders had noticed. I remembered this from rareposter, who doesn't give a date:-

Best one I had for that was riding along a busy road in the Peak District between two popular tourist villages and there was a police 4x4 parked up very prominently on a bend, visible from both ways. The road can occasionally be a bit of a racetrack and it's got a few bends that catch drivers out.

I was wearing good hi-vis and had front & rear flashing lights and had a helmet mounted light (not turned on) as I knew my ride would be finishing in darkness. The policeman waved as I passed and I'm guessing the drivers behind me must have thought that I was part of some sort of close-pass operation. Every one of them almost climbed the opposite pavement as they overtook safely and carefully and considerately.

The helmet-mounted light does actually look a lot like a camera so I think the whole ensemble worked with thee police presence to give drivers the idea that there might be consequences to their actions. Need that all the time!

viewtopic.php?p=1567003#p1567003
PH

Post by PH »

I've seen the Derbyshire mat out and in use twice and heard about other sightings probably another three times, none last November, though I've obviously seen less people recently.
Derbyshire Police were initially very reluctant to take up the offer of a mat, it took a bit of pressure from several organisations. I don't know if their attitude has changed or if they only do what they feel obliged to.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This seems as good a place to post this as any.

Dame Sarah Storey: Paralympian abused during cycling safety drive

Here's the better news:-
South Yorkshire Police said that during last Friday's operation on Manchester Road, 25 motorists were pulled over and spoken to in a two-hour period.

It said five further motorists, who were not stopped during the operation, would be receiving a Notice of Intended Prosecution through the post.

Officers said a total of 10 prosecutions, for driving without due care and attention and contravening double white lines, would result from the operation.

Three motorists also received warnings which would mean if they were found to be using their vehicles in an antisocial or careless manner again within 12 months then their vehicles could be seized.
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 4:51pm This seems as good a place to post this as any.

Dame Sarah Storey: Paralympian abused during cycling safety drive
Headline in the local Sheffield paper is
Sheffield police slam 'depressing' level of poor driving in 'close pass' cycling operation on Snake Pass

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/cons ... qvPwMwnFIA
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

In Italy that have signage on most minor and narrow roads saying (to the effect) 'Pass cyclists at a minimum of 1.5m'

It seems to be pretty well respected, and of course if a motorist is caught by police then they are cautioned and fined. Its a recognised traffic offence. I think the maximum fine is 1000 euro.

Having cycled extensively throughout Italy over the past 3 decades I can say that it works well and on the whole drivers are very respectful of it. A cheap and easy solution to implement also.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

Slowtwitch wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:00am In Italy that have signage on most minor and narrow roads saying (to the effect) 'Pass cyclists at a minimum of 1.5m'

It seems to be pretty well respected, and of course if a motorist is caught by police then they are cautioned and fined. Its a recognised traffic offence. I think the maximum fine is 1000 euro.

Having cycled extensively throughout Italy over the past 3 decades I can say that it works well and on the whole drivers are very respectful of it. A cheap and easy solution to implement also.
A better solution would be to have NCR routes expressed as part of road signs: that would be a more frequent declaration of a cyclist's right to be on the road that doesn't frame them as a "hazard" or "obstacle" but as a coequal road user.