BL******* extendable dog leads

[XAP]Bob

Re: BL******* extendable dog leads

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Full velomobile ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind should I ever find myself cycling in rattlesnake country..... :D

Any more? I should point out that carrying a pepper spray is illegal in the UK, and probably in France as well. It's classed as an 'offensive weapon' and attracts severe penalties. But googling has turned up products like "Geroff" and "Biteback" which are claimed to be legal. Anyone tried them?

I've read that the "Dazer" isn't really very effective after all, despite (possibly planted) 'plus' reviews.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I were having problems with dogs on a regular basis,I don't mean on leads,stretchy or otherwise,but vicious or potentially vicious dogs willing to attack or chase causing trouble,I'd mix 50/50 vinegar and water in a spare bidon and they'd get a squirt as and when.
It worked well in Portugal on the packs of dogs that wandered about when we passed through villages,my stocker's aim was deadly,well if not deadly,certainly eyewatering :) .

Thinking about it I'll bet lemon juice squirted from one of those lemon shaped squirty bottles available at the s/market would do the trick just as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

There is no excuse for not letting pedestrian, horse riders and even other cyclists that you are behind them and intend on passing them. I simply shout (not to loudly) "coming past".
The majority of dog owners are unable to control there dogs ie if they let the dog off it will be off and will only come back when it feels like it. It is, in my opinion, cruel to keep a dog on short lead. The only way a dog can have a decent walk is on one of those long leads. It should be remembered that a lot of dogs are rescue dogs it's unlikely there owners would have the ability to train the dog and some would be untrainable.
Ther are also far to many dogs who are aggressive towards cyclists. The excuse the dog owners use is he/she is only aggressive towards cyclists? My reply is "you shouldn't let them off the lead" followed by some foul language. While walking (on footpath) I once came across a woman with 4 large German shepherds she had no leads and the dogs had no collars. They were very aggressive but she was able to call them in but all the same right out of order. My own dog is never on a lead (although I always carry one) except when near a busy road. If I am on a quiet rural road and walking she immediately comes back and sits till the car goes past. On a bike she also comes back but I have had to change it to running beside the bike as I seemed to be taking rather a long time getting anywhere!
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Sorry folks but the extendable lead isn't at fault its the dog owner. The dog can be on short lead while the owner is using an extendable lead. They are simply not considerate to the rest of the population. No different from those who don't clean up after there dog.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Just remembered a group of cyclist coming towards me calling to each other "dog in front" or something like that.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Vantage wrote:I don't do 15mph when passing dogs and their owners. That's silly speed. Even 10mph is pushing one's luck when it comes to passing dogs.
Common sense and so on.

As I have already said but feel the need to reiterate, let the dog owner know your there.