BL******* extendable dog leads

jeremy1

BL******* extendable dog leads

Post by jeremy1 »

PLEASE can anyone tell me if any petitions have ever been done to BAN moron dog owners on cycle paths using those extending dog leads

Thanks
Flinders

Re: BL******* extendable dog leads

Post by Flinders »

I don't know, but I'd sign one to ban them in any public place. I bet they have caused many falls of elderly people, as well as cyclists. We know some cyclists have been killed by them.

I can't see even one good reason for them. A dog in full control doesn't need a lead, unless it is a requirement of the space, a dog not in full control, i.e., which does not come to heel/sit/lie down when told, should be on a short lead all the time.

They aren't even any use to the owners- I saw one idiot of an owner nearly pulled off a path on a hillside down a rocky slope last week, it ran and when the lead took the strain nearly had her over, and even when she gained her balance again she couldn't drag her badly behaved mutt back with it. On a short lead, it couldn't have got to enough of a speed to create such a sudden pull.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

jeremy1 wrote:PLEASE can anyone tell me if any petitions have ever been done to BAN moron dog owners on cycle paths using those extending dog leads

Thanks

Now ... do you want to ban "moron dog owners " or "extending dog leads" ?
I am a dog owner with an extending dog lead ... the tape type not the cheese wire type which scars children .... well, grand children actually .... trust me i know.
I will willingly join your "Ban moron dog owners" campaign .... but extending dog leads are like guns ... just tools, idiots make them dangerous ....
and breath ... :mrgreen:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
BennettH

Post by BennettH »

Flinders wrote:I don't know, but I'd sign one to ban them in any public place. I bet they have caused many falls of elderly people, as well as cyclists. We know some cyclists have been killed by them.

How did someone die?

And you say "cyclists" emphasis on the "s". How common is this?

Several anecdotes speak to a much larger issue. Could mean a trend. Maybe just in your area, but still.

It may be worth raising general awareness on.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

BennettH wrote:
Flinders wrote:I don't know, but I'd sign one to ban them in any public place. I bet they have caused many falls of elderly people, as well as cyclists. We know some cyclists have been killed by them.

How did someone die?

And you say "cyclists" emphasis on the "s". How common is this?

Several anecdotes speak to a much larger issue. Could mean a trend. Maybe just in your area, but still.

It may be worth raising general awareness on.

+1

If cyclists have been killed by them that changes the issue completely, BennettH can you provide a link to any article that will give us more info please. Especially the deaths of cyclists.
Be more Mike.
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:
jeremy1 wrote:PLEASE can anyone tell me if any petitions have ever been done to BAN moron dog owners on cycle paths using those extending dog leads

Thanks

Now ... do you want to ban "moron dog owners " or "extending dog leads" ?
I am a dog owner with an extending dog lead ... the tape type not the cheese wire type which scars children .... well, grand children actually .... trust me i know.
I will willingly join your "Ban moron dog owners" campaign .... but extending dog leads are like guns ... just tools, idiots make them dangerous ....
and breath ... :mrgreen:

Agree entirely!
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Not just cycle paths, I very nearly was had by one stretched right across a public road. I was rolling downhill at a fair lick and in front on my left is a car in a layby and a woman talking to the driver, not much problem, so I thought but just as I got near the car realised that the woman was holding a dog lead and the dog was invisible in the undergrowth on the opposite side of the road with the dog lead stretched right across the road at wheelhub height. I managed to slither to a halt with my front wheel resting on the dog lead, without coming off. The worst of it was that the blasted dog owner thought it was funny, I soon disabused her of that idea.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

all the benefits of extendable dog leads outweigh the inconvenience suffered should an ignorant %^&%£$% use one in public, which i agree often happens.

the path i use is so wide, nobody has ever crossed it... though it's rumored that somebody managed it with a support van. it's not uncommon to see people arguing on it though :lol:

i find the best solution is to just be as nice as you can in any given situation, it at least lessens the chances that you'll discover yourself to be in this group... because for any given individual, it's not that far fetched.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

flat tyre wrote:Not just cycle paths, " I very nearly " .....

Which means nothing adverse happened to you ... which is good.

When i see dog owners with an extending lead on a shared use path i slow down, attract their attention, and pass safely....you could always stop ...it's not fatal ....
Of course if they are walking their dog on an exclusive, cycle only path thats different.
Be more Mike.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

As above, I'd love to see some evidence of these deaths and injuries.

I can't see even one good reason for them. A dog in full control doesn't need a lead, unless it is a requirement of the space, a dog not in full control, i.e., which does not come to heel/sit/lie down when told, should be on a short lead all the time.

Are you a dog owner? As a dog owner, I can safely say that dogs are pretty stupid animals and most will need to be on a lead most of the time in public areas. An extendible lead allows my pup to venture off into muddy fields and other areas I don't wish to go whilst still under my control. My fiancée's dog and mine can run about with limited freedom like nutcases using those leads and when necessary, we can just reel them in.

They aren't even any use to the owners- I saw one idiot of an owner nearly pulled off a path on a hillside down a rocky slope last week, it ran and when the lead took the strain nearly had her over, and even when she gained her balance again she couldn't drag her badly behaved mutt back with it. On a short lead, it couldn't have got to enough of a speed to create such a sudden pull.

As I described above, they are in actual fact, of use to the owners.
A few points about the lady you mention...
It takes time to train a dog and even the best trained dogs do have minds of their own. They do like to explore.
Unlike a your average human, a dog can reach a pretty fast speed in a very short distance. 4 legs aid that. A short lead would likely have had little difference in the scenario you mention. Not to mention, extendible leads have a lock button. If Muttly decides to bolt, you press the button and doggy goes no further.

Whilst I agree that some dog owners should be hung by the ears due to sheer stupidity, equal stupidity falls at the wheels of cyclists who are too thick to explore the option of slowing to a safe speed around dogs and young children.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

edited;
Last edited by flat tyre on 20 Mar 2017, 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

My point was that the dog lead was stretched across a public road, not a cyclepath and I only just managed to do an emergency stop, in less light I wouldn't have seen it at all.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

flat tyre wrote:My point was that the dog lead was stretched across a public road, not a cyclepath and I only just managed to do an emergency stop, in less light I wouldn't have seen it at all.

yeaaaaaah and i just can't believe theres a dog that's so ugly people dont want to stop of their own volition and say hello :lol:

no really, it happens to me all the time, and the attitudes i get carry a lack of concern about the dog they're walking. all you can really do is cycle back up to speed though. you can shout at the person, but by the definition of 'ignorance' i'd say it was a waste of valuable breath.

but i've been on the laptop all day. i might not be so zen if i had to leave the house.

i don't want to spam, but after seeing the following post, my response is that it's a shame none of those lawyers work the cases where cyclists are hurt in traffic.
Last edited by ChrisOntLancs on 20 Mar 2017, 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know of any deaths but there has been at least one (out-of-court) settlement, that I know of,of compensation of £65,000 to a cyclist injured by a dog lead

http://road.cc/content/news/172073-%C2% ... e-dog-lead

(which in turn links to another earlier injury account - http://road.cc/content/news/150953-cycl ... e-dog-lead - which links to another... :( )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

An unguarded chainwheel on a recumbent has distinct advantages!!