Cycle lanes putting ambulance patients lives at risk [Telegraph]

blackbike

Cycle lanes putting ambulance patients lives at risk [Telegraph]

Post by blackbike »

Segregated cycle lanes are putting patients’ lives at risk because they prevent traffic moving out of the way of ambulances, medical leaders have warned.

The College of Paramedics said the new model of kerbed lanes, which are fiercely supported by cycle safety campaigners, leave drivers nowhere to go when they see blue flashing lights behind them. . . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... mbulances/
gaz

Re: Cycle lanes putting ambulance patients lives at risk [Telegraph]

Post by gaz »

NHS data is not sufficiently detailed to discern the extent to which cycle lanes are hampering swift response times, but Mr Webber said there was a general feeling among paramedics that their presence is having a negative effect.

Simon Munk, infrastructure campaigner at London Cycle Campaign denied segregated cycle lanes were causing a problem.
"The issue fundamentally is congestion," he said. "The safer we can make cycling the less people will drive the fewer cars there will be on the road.
"The best evidence we have contradicts the view of the paramedics."

I'll stick with those supporting segregated infrastructure based on evidence rather than those trying to dismiss it based on feelings.

The problem is motor traffic congestion. Creating additional capacity has repeatedly been shown not to resolve that problem.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Segregated cycle lanes are putting patients’ lives at risk because they prevent traffic moving out of the way of ambulances, medical leaders have warned.
Yet segregated pedestrian facilities (pavements) do not? If a motorist can mount a kerb why can they not cross a lane divider, other than both actions being in the main illegal that is?
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Hilarious isn't it? Motor traffic is gridlocking our towns and cities, killing thousands of people with noxious fumes and collisions, making drivers fatter etc but hey, a miniscule change to accommodate cyclists is the real problem. :lol:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

We have to travel up and down the Leeds Bradford super cycle highway (nice name) every day as the station sits on it and it doesn't affect our response times in the slightest and we are in a much bigger fire engine
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tatanab wrote:
Yet segregated pedestrian facilities (pavements) do not? If a motorist can mount a kerb why can they not cross a lane divider, other than both actions being in the main illegal that is?

I don't know what the law/practice is but several years ago driving through London I was shocked as I was stopped in a jam and oncoming traffic was stationary with an empty bus lane (no bus lane my side). Ambulance (further back than the start of the bus lane) with sirens and lights going trying to make progress (coming towards me) and none of the cars would pull over into the bus lane to allow the ambulance past - they just sat there, empty bus lane (ambulance could not get to). I was later told by somebody living in London that this is common as if there are any automated cameras around and the car got photographed in the bus lane then "I moved over for an ambulance" is not an accepted excuse (they wont bother to verify if there was an emergency vehicle in the area at the time of the offence). So people don't because of the risk of a penalty..

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The Highway Code in rule 219 says
"You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic.Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you."

Presumably complying with all traffic signs means complying with the ones designating a cycle lane.

It's only permissible to break the law to let an emergency vehicle through at the request of a uniformed police officer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

There was a scaremongering article on the Manchester Evening News website, here it is -

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... g-13002815

Just seems a bit heavy handed, there are many times where you can easily pull onto a deserted pavement to let them past or even pull past a red light safely.

Maybe someone could write an equivalent article pointing out all the people lugging around four or more empty seats are vastly increasing Ambulance response times.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK, the provision in the HC linked by pete75 was prompted by camera enforcement of traffic lights and bus lanes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We had one today

Dual carriageway, traffic parts and a BMW decides the path us for him

Until he gets to the roundabout and stops in the middle of the road completely blocking the Ambulance
meic

Post by meic »

I have had the pleasure of doing over half a mile with a blue lighter on my bumper on a narrow twisty lane, hoping for a place to pull off into. Sticking at 64mph because I am only 90% sure that he is trying to get past, rather than pulling me.
Slowing right down would allow him to pass safely but carrying on will get him to his destination more quickly.
Of course if I was on my bike instead of in the car, he could have just sailed past me. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have noticed time and time again cars stopping in front of emergency vehicles, blocking the road.
I really don't understand the level of stupidity that is required think that blocking a road or junction is assisting an emergency vehicle.
I usually accelerate into a place of safety or just pull off the road when safe to do so ..... but just stopping dead in the road ??

WHY ! ... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

pete75 wrote:The Highway Code in rule 219 says
"You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic.Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you."

Presumably complying with all traffic signs means complying with the ones designating a cycle lane.

It's only permissible to break the law to let an emergency vehicle through at the request of a uniformed police officer.

Just reading a article I got from another source, saying that you can be fined if you mount the kerb, drive into a bus lane, pull through a red light or stop in a yellow box in order to get out of the way of an emegency vehicle. Ironically, it's the emergency vehicle crew themselves that sometimes report the offender. What is the world coming to

https://www.petrolprices.com/hefty-fines-drivers-emergency-services/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Or there is this:

https://youtu.be/oZNwBFwKWWQ

I stopped the video half way,that M/way was full of idiots :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden