Inexplicable power of Twitter

Abradable Chin

Inexplicable power of Twitter

Post by Abradable Chin »

Just read this: http://road.cc/content/news/223569-nottingham-cyclist-was-initially-told-go-away-when-he-tried-report-near-miss

Police 101 line told him to 118, but once Notts police had been tweeted, they acted.
Twitter is a little echo chamber...very few people I know use it, so why does it get results? What would be the non-electronic equivalent? Graffitiing the company headquarters?
ChrisOntLancs

Re: Inexplicable power of Twitter

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

it's lots of little echo chambers and it's all about getting to the right one. jon ronsen's so you've been publicly shamed is an interesting book that's almost on the subject... at a real push too. much like this post (sorry)

now this tweet is on the radar of the pro-cycling echo chamber, but you're right nothing will come of of. it's more about tweeting, the virtue of the tweet. more verba less facta... if you all get references to my old school blazer badge.

i see people i respect, retweeting people they disagree with so all their fans will start giving this guy grief. it's not seen as "playground muck spreading"... it's the done thing! (to be fair to my fellow chris here, this is isn't one of those, occasionally moral crusades are justified)

it's got the potential to make the world a much better place but for now it's a pathetic war of sycophants.
meic

Post by meic »

It is the power of the media. Once the media was controlled by paid staff in offices, now it has been democratised.

If you want results from the cops on such things you have to get it publicity in the media, that seems to now include social media.
Yma o Hyd
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

It's surreal thinking that one day we might tweet '999' and then there would be a public vote on whether your broken leg, or cow in a ditch, or your being run over was sufficiently deserving of attention.
I shall look out for Jon Ronson book. I enjoyed his one on psychopaths living next door.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

not read that one myself yet but saw his ted talk about it.

twitter scares me sometimes, you can get confirmation for just about any belief, which is why flat earth videos appear on youtube. whatever you can imagine, there's a cause with the same energy as the arab spring or cycling campaigning *smirks* and it's just chaotic. i think the mainstream media harnesses that really selectively sometimes. i think these days they prefer the trolls more than people like chris boardman.

might need to come back and write that in english, didn't have much sleep last night :|
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Is this what policing has now come to,if no one knows about it the police don't do anything,but if it's plastered all over social media and there's a chance they're going to be caught looking like they're not doing their job they'll jump to it? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

reohn2 wrote:Is this what policing has now come to,if no one knows about it the police don't do anything,but if it's plastered all over social media and there's a chance they're going to be caught looking like they're not doing their job they'll jump to it? :?

Odd role reversal, isn't it? In days gone by, the public were discouraged from breaking the law out of fear of being caught and punished by the police: now, the police are encouraged to enforce the law out of fear of being caught and shamed by the public!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Abradable Chin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Is this what policing has now come to,if no one knows about it the police don't do anything,but if it's plastered all over social media and there's a chance they're going to be caught looking like they're not doing their job they'll jump to it? :?

Odd role reversal, isn't it? In days gone by, the public were discouraged from breaking the law out of fear of being caught and punished by the police: now, the police are encouraged to enforce the law out of fear of being caught and shamed by the public!

It would seem.
We appear to have hit an all time low certainly where traffic policing is concerned.
Add to that the woefully lenient sentencing for motoring offences and it all ends up as free for all of,couldn't give a damn cozy no one cares,attitude by a growing and significant number of road users.
If anyone's in any doubt about the appalling standard of UK driving,stand at any busy TL and take note of the number of driving mobile users,not three months after the penalty for the offence was doubled.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It confirms the obvious that more police on the streets the less chance offenders stand of getting away with their crimes.If that's the case why is the UK insisting on reducing police numbers and funding?
Whilst at the same time reducing taxes on those who can most afford to pay ?
W H Auden