Barriers on london bridges

alun1955

Barriers on london bridges

Post by alun1955 »

The leader of Westminster City Council has responded to the installation of protective barriers along Westminster Bridge.
Councillor Nickie Aiken says: “People in Westminster need this kind of protective measure – it is sensible and proportionate.
"We are working closely with the Metropolitan Police and security services and are happy to assist on measures like planning and traffic management.
"The kind of security barrier now in place on Westminster Bridge needs to be part of a permanent solution.”

Well meaning but it creates a death trap for cyclists as currently configured. The cycle lane needs to be INSIDE the barrier.
rmurphy195

Re: Barriers on london bridges

Post by rmurphy195 »

alun1955 wrote:The leader of Westminster City Council has responded to the installation of protective barriers along Westminster Bridge.
Councillor Nickie Aiken says: “People in Westminster need this kind of protective measure – it is sensible and proportionate.
"We are working closely with the Metropolitan Police and security services and are happy to assist on measures like planning and traffic management.
"The kind of security barrier now in place on Westminster Bridge needs to be part of a permanent solution.”

Well meaning but it creates a death trap for cyclists as currently configured. The cycle lane needs to be INSIDE the barrier.

"Well meaning but ..."!!!!

Are you kidding, under the circumstances if they put a 10' high concrete barrier in the way I wouldn't care, I'd just put up with it, get off the bike and play at being a pedestrian for the duration.

Nothing (yet) compared to NI in the 60's and 70's - roads into centre towns and villages blocked by barriers with armed police on them, instead of double yellow lines streets were lined with concrete-filled oil drums to prevent parking, and so on and so forth. Not cycle - or anything else - friendly by any means. And if you were driving across the North and broke down - no chance of calling the AA or RAC - no mobiles in those days, and all the phone boxes blown up!

Not to mention the pinch points at border crossings - one side of the road with a trench and a hummock to negotiate, the other side with a shed built on it keeping the squaddies in the armoured car dry in the rain!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

rmurphy195 wrote:
alun1955 wrote:The leader of Westminster City Council has responded to the installation of protective barriers along Westminster Bridge.

"Well meaning but ..."!!!!

Are you kidding, under the circumstances if they put a 10' high concrete barrier in the way I wouldn't care, I'd just put up with it, get off the bike and play at being a pedestrian for the duration.

Nothing (yet) compared to NI in the 60's and 70's - roads into centre towns and villages blocked by barriers with armed police on them, instead of double yellow lines streets were lined with concrete-filled oil drums to prevent parking, and so on and so forth. Not cycle - or anything else - friendly by any means. And if you were driving across the North and broke down - no chance of calling the AA or RAC - no mobiles in those days, and all the phone boxes blown up!

Not to mention the pinch points at border crossings - one side of the road with a trench and a hummock to negotiate, the other side with a shed built on it keeping the squaddies in the armoured car dry in the rain!

A considered +1 ... as i may have been one of the squaddies sheltering from the rain on my 12 hour stint at the border ....
But very true .... get off and walk, i would ..... this is above cycling .
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I agree with the sentiment that something has to be done, and seen to be done, but short of segregating all traffic and pedestrians, over the whole country, I can't see how this does anything but pay lip service to the problem.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

chris_suffolk wrote:I agree with the sentiment that something has to be done, and seen to be done, but short of segregating all traffic and pedestrians, over the whole country, I can't see how this does anything but pay lip service to the problem.

So lets pay "lip service", why not ?
Something, anything, is always better than doing nothing.
Be more Mike.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

This is obviously a difficult subject to discuss, but by placing the barriers 2m further to the right the authorities could have created a safety barrier in addition to a bike lane, and not instead of one.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

landsurfer wrote:So lets pay "lip service", why not ?
Something, anything, is always better than doing nothing.

To a degree, yes, but then they just choose another soft target, like a train carriage,or chemical attack on the underground, or, or, or......

I have no solutions, but we need to find a way to tackle the cause of the problems, not the symptoms
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Internment ? ...... we know who the enemy are .... there are lists, numbers known.
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Internment ? ...... we know who the enemy are .... there are lists, numbers known.

The situation now is very different from the troubles in Ulster I think

But surely we can learn from what happened back then
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Internment ? ...... we know who the enemy are .... there are lists, numbers known.

The situation now is very different from the troubles in Ulster I think

But surely we can learn from what happened back then

Hope we do .... internment in Ulster was a disaster .....
But if someone is known as a possible threat to this democracy we must act to ensure the safety of the public ... and if we have to park democracy for the week to save children from Islamic Terrorists then do it !
As a society we allowed thousands of children to be abused by men of Pakistani Heritage ......
Lets not let a warped religious group kill thousands ... by our inaction ....
Stop the Islamists from killing all Brits and visitors to our country, of any colour, creed or race....
What ever we have to do .....
Be more Mike.
pwa

Post by pwa »

When the first attack using a vehicle occurred at Westminster I assumed (silly me) that some sort of temporary bollards would be put on the pavement at intervals in prominent vulnerable locations, followed by something more permanent and nicer to look at. I'm a bit surprised that it has taken another attack to get them to do something to stop someone driving down the length of a pavement.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Wouldn't it be a good idea to ban all motorised transport from the centre of London, except perhaps with a special permit? After all the last two attacks in London involved motorised vehicles.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

flat tyre wrote:Wouldn't it be a good idea to ban all motorised transport from the centre of London, except perhaps with a special permit? After all the last two attacks in London involved motorised vehicles.

Or just limit all vehicles to 6 mph max
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
flat tyre wrote:Wouldn't it be a good idea to ban all motorised transport from the centre of London, except perhaps with a special permit? After all the last two attacks in London involved motorised vehicles.

Or just limit all vehicles to 6 mph max

So ... only mobility scooters ???????
Be more Mike.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Imagine the backlash if the attackers had arrived by bicycle.