More anti-cycling C"£$

Stilly

More anti-cycling C"£$

Post by Stilly »

Did anyone hear the drivel spoken by some of the people on the Jeremy Vine show today. Things like taxing bikes and having to have a number plate were some of the suggestions among others.

The main reasons for this is that motorists see us as a nusiance (surprise, surprise) and we should be taxed off the road the same as they are. The main comment was that because some cyclists jump lights and in general behave irresponsibly then we are all guilty. I love using my bike as it is one of the only tax free ways of transporting myself around. Surely the goverment can't tax this now, can they???
gar

Re:More anti-cycling C"£$

Post by gar »

In a way cycling can be a very expensive hobby/pursuit indeed, as it confers no obvious
status on the participant, whereas car drivers have instant status depending on their make of car.

Unless you are a cycling weirdo ( like Happiness) the same cannot be said of bikes.
mel

Post by mel »

Whose Jeremy Vine?

Our local copper, who looks as if he's never done any form of exercise since leaving school, is now suggesting cyclists should wear helmets. From the tone of his article, where he mentions the Local Authority marking out cycle routes with some dishumour, he appears to be not on the side of cyclists. If the Cops ain't on our side what chance do we stand? I always think that there is some jealousy involved in the views of these people, especially when they look down and can't see their feet, or anything else, then fit folks have got to take a kicking.
TJ

Post by TJ »

I have to agree with gar, most non-cyclists are clueless on the finer points of cycling and the money it is possible to spend on our pastime.
Cycling for me isn't just about commuting and touring, both of which I do incidentally, but is a hobby and a way of life also.
It is largely classless and cyclists are cyclists, no more, no less.
Most car driving non-cyclists simply don't get it, a bit like some people not understanding other cultures and becoming hostile towards it simply because it is different. Cycling is seen as a threat as it is outside their normal aspirations.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Having given this anti-cycle topic some thought, would it not be better for those cyclists that own cars to have a "drive to work day" ?
Instead of cycling to work and trying to persuade people to do the same, drive to work for that day and let the "anti" brigade see just how much more congestion there is WITHOUT cyclists and how much harder their journey becomes.
Just a thought.
mike6

Post by mike6 »

Don't worry Stilly. Programmes like this are just designed to provide entertainment for the masses by stirring up a slanging match between people with differing viewpoints. I noticed the vote on the BBC website came out convincingly against registration plates for bikes.
gar

Post by gar »

TJ and I are agreeing for a change!
"A drive to work day" for cyclists is a very good idea. I have noticed some correspondents who have got into a mindset where the logical consequence could easily be injury through ranting against
passing cars.

If ranting causes you to be wider awake than you otherwise would be then all well and good.

My own obssession with two wheels and anti-car attitude, eventually brought me into direct contact with a passing crazy woman's vehicle.
What more evidence could u want?

Yes Let's fix a nationwide "Cyclists drive to work for CTC
members"
just to show how broadminded we are
about other road users!
TATANAB

Post by TATANAB »

A CTC drive to work day is obviously a non starter.

What percentage of the population are CTC member? 0.0000 something %, hence there would be no impact whatsoever.

What would have an impact is if all commuting cyclists/pedestrians/motor cyclists/ bus passenger/train passengers etc all did the same. Of course all these people would have to drive to work early to occupy the parking facilities etc.

That obviously would not work either because the event would have to be publicised and of course people would obviously tell their families what was about to happen so they could travel early to avoid the problem. So all we would end up with is chaos in which we would be involved and the following bad feeling about trouble making/green/anachists.
gar

Post by gar »

Don't blame me; blame Tj. He always has the naff ideas.The sun has gone to his head.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Read my post again, I never mentioned the CTC membership.
Cyclists that own cars is what I said, and that is what I meant.
No-one was asking TATANAB to organise it, so why the hostility?

I have a sticker on my car, (I only drive when required to do so for work), which reads, "If I was on my bike, I wouldn't be in front of you"

My idea was just that; an idea. Perhaps the CTC could organise it, but I won't be holding my breath as it would be dangerous territory, much too radical.
TATANAB

Post by TATANAB »

No hostility, just practicalities.

It was Gar who mooted a drive to work day for CTC members.

The idea of a drive to work day for other than car driving commuters is something that I have often spoken about with people I work with when they grumble about their lot. I think all of us, cyclists and other commuters realise it is impractical and will not happen. After all, there is an annual bike to work day which has almost no publicity and creates virtually zero interest.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Why do these campaigns fail to attract all but the "militant" few?
I would have thought that every cyclist has a vested interest in being able to cycle without hassle.
Have cyclists in general, accepted the view that, in most western cultures, they are 2nd class citizens on the road?
What "does the team think?"
gar

Post by gar »

If you follow the Sustrans campaigns the cycle to work day seems quite successful, even noticeable on the road if you remember the day.
nuttycyclist

Post by nuttycyclist »

Road runner, why not come out on a club run? I doubt you'll see any wrecks. Not even the riders after a pleasant 80 odd miles.
gar

Post by gar »

Does a fat copper not ride a bike because he is fat
or get fat because he does not ride a bike?