Drop in cycling in Australia

The utility cyclist

Drop in cycling in Australia

Post by The utility cyclist »

Very interesting report, when you compare it also to pre helmet law numbers the participation levels are even more shocking.

"Cycling participation rates across Australia are measured over the previous week, month and year.

The survey suggests that 15.5% (95% CI: 14.4% - 16.6%) of Australians ride a bicycle in a typical week. More than a third (34.1%, 95% CI: 32.8% - 35.4%) had done so in the past year. This equates to around 3.74 million Australians riding in a typical week, and 8.23 million doing so over a year.

Measured over the previous week the cycling participation rate has declined from 18.2% in 2011 (95% CI: 17.6% – 18.8%), to 15.5% (95% CI: 14.4% - 16.6%) in 2017. The decline measured over the previous week is mirrored when measured over the past month and year:

Cycling participation over the past month has declined from 27.1% (95% CI: 26.4% - 27.8%) in 2011 to 21.8% (95% CI: 20.6% - 23.0%) in 2017.
Cycling participation over the past year has declined from 40.2% (95% CI: 39.4% - 40.9%) in 2011 to 34.1% (95% CI: 32.8% - 35.4%) in 2017.

These changes are statistically significant at the 5% level. Moreover, the general downward trend appears to be supported by the survey results from 2013 and 2015

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/4948/
https://www.onlinepublications.austroad ... /AP-C91-17
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/victoria-p ... ation.html
Cyril Haearn

Re: Drop in cycling in Australia

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One knows about the helmet laws down there, but I think Australia is probably also too hot to be a great cycling country, in Denmark the weather is better, and in NZ of course

Instead of more cycle traffic, less motors would be a good goal for societies to strive for. Main thing is less moton traffic, some will cycle, some will walk, some will stay at home. I don't want more people to cycle where I live

Mind, I fear Australia is a great country for motons

Vocab: moton=motor/moron combination, used elsewhere on these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

I think Australia is perfect for cycling, that cycling was extremely popular (rates of over 50% once a week are shown in the stats from the 1980s) in most of the cities reflects that but it's the fact that motorists have being given free reign even more than ours to do what they want and the police are even less forgiving of people on bikes than UK plod. They're more prepared to pull over people on bikes doing no harm because they don't have a bell or a helmet than a maniac driver.
They also don't enforce laws that were put in place to protect cyclists and were used to justify increases in cycling fines :twisted:

the state that Mike Hall met his demise(ACT) boasted at how safe it was for people on bikes yet the statistics were completely the opposite and is was the worst state in the country for cycle injuries.
The solutions are obvious but their government is retarded beyond belief and won't even act on their own stats which prove their unlawful statutes have not only killed/injured more people on bikes but had a massive negative effect on cycling as a whole and from that health/welfare of the population.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Never been to Australia but I did read that skin cancer is a big problem there, is it possible to effectively protect oneself?

Here in Germany my cycling season starts in September, my favourite cycling month is November. Even in the north it is often much too hot in summer, one sweats so much it is hard to drink enough
The utility cyclist

Cyril Haearn wrote:Never been to Australia but I did read that skin cancer is a big problem there, is it possible to effectively protect oneself?

Here in Germany my cycling season starts in September, my favourite cycling month is November. Even in the north it is often much too hot in summer, one sweats so much it is hard to drink enough

Considering the amount of time those on the coasts (read the majority) spend at the beach/in the water I'd say that skin cancer as a reason not to cycle or affect cycling numbers is stretching it somewhat.
Most Australians are taught from a young age 'slip, slop, slap', but as it happens the UK suffers more deaths from skin cancer than Australians do 1,600 to 1,000 as of 2016.

I'm an all year round cyclist, don't care if it's -6C or 36C (it was 34C today here in hertfordshire)
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I lived in Australia for more than 10 years and cycled in many parts. Some of the main roads are a problem and best avoided. When off the beaten track it tends to rough roads. Up in the high plains, about 5000 feet, is very testing, hardly any water but memorable. Before the helmet laws came in, cycling was increasing sharply and they made the mistake of allowing in a helmet law. At times the heat and sun is a problem for many people, walking is worst than cycling in some ways. London has a higher average summer temperature than Hobart, if I am correct. So it all depends on the part. In summer on the shorter rides, I used to set off about 8.00am and be back before 10.00am.

ps

http://www.australia.com/en-gb/facts/we ... ather.html
Summer (December – February) During summer in Hobart, average temperatures range from 11.5 - 21°C (52.7 - 69.8°F). The months of January and February are also the driest, and beaches are warm enough to swim.

London ? about 15 to 23 degrees.
meic

Post by meic »

but as it happens the UK suffers more deaths from skin cancer than Australians do 1,600 to 1,000 as of 2016.

As there are three times as many people living in the UK, that means Australians are twice as likely to die from skin cancer as UK people are.
Yma o Hyd
The utility cyclist

meic wrote:
but as it happens the UK suffers more deaths from skin cancer than Australians do 1,600 to 1,000 as of 2016.

As there are three times as many people living in the UK, that means Australians are twice as likely to die from skin cancer as UK people are.

But what is the average sunshine/index factor, given the huge disparity overall in high index factors UK compared to Australia and the amount of time Australians are out in such, the 'rate' of cancer should be far higher in Australia but isn't so is not a barrier to cycling. Would you ask the same question of swimming, surfboarding, walking, doing the garden etc would people be put off from doing those activities because of risk of skin cancer, if not, why is riding a bike any different, they are all everyday activities right?
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

The utility cyclist wrote:But what is the average sunshine/index factor, given the huge disparity overall in high index factors UK compared to Australia and the amount of time Australians are out in such, the 'rate' of cancer should be far higher in Australia but isn't so is not a barrier to cycling.

UV Index does not exceed 8 in the UK (8 is rare; 7 may occur on exceptional days, mostly in the two weeks around the summer solstice)

WHO usual max UV index showing seasonal variations:
Australia (Darwin) 13 to 8 (13°S) {max daily temperature here is mostly 32 C ... any time of year -they put on jumpers at 25C}
Australia (Sydney) 10 to 2 (34°S)
Australia (Melbourne) 9 to 2 (37°S )

When spring/summer arrives the daily weather forecast includes the UV exposure and the times of day when it advisable to stay out of the sun. Not certain about Darwin's forecast - might be there year round? But other than the 'top end' UV forecast is only during the peak season - spring/summer.

There are extensive press campaigns about skin cancer in Australia now, not when I was growing up - sun burn was a frequent occurrence. Now it is slip (on a shirt), slop (sunscreen), slap (hat). Even when swimming there are now 'rashers' to cover the upper body. Long sleeved cycling jerseys are available - thin for heat but with SPF of 50.

People acclimatise to their circumstances (weather, political and social). The people of Darwin are a case in point.. 25 C (77 F) and jumpers? The acclimatisation may take years, but you do get to accept the local conditions particularly when you cannot do much about it (climate).
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Unless Australia has got significantly hotter since 2011, its weather is not the reason for the decline in cycling reported here.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Steady rider wrote:I lived in Australia for more than 10 years and cycled in many parts. Some of the main roads are a problem and best avoided. When off the beaten track it tends to rough roads. Up in the high plains, about 5000 feet, is very testing, hardly any water but memorable. Before the helmet laws came in, cycling was increasing sharply and they made the mistake of allowing in a helmet law. At times the heat and sun is a problem for many people, walking is worst than cycling in some ways. London has a higher average summer temperature than Hobart, if I am correct. So it all depends on the part. In summer on the shorter rides, I used to set off about 8.00am and be back before 10.00am.

ps

http://www.australia.com/en-gb/facts/we ... ather.html
Summer (December – February) During summer in Hobart, average temperatures range from 11.5 - 21°C (52.7 - 69.8°F). The months of January and February are also the driest, and beaches are warm enough to swim.

London ? about 15 to 23 degrees.

Hobart is of course right at the bottom on the map, equivalent to Thurso right at the top of Britain. Neither have typical climates for their respective countries
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Figure 7 Indication of changes in cycling activity v population, page 16 provides an estimate for 2011.
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/au-assessment-2015.pdf

From 2011 to 2017, it appears to have dropped even further compared with population levels.

The survey suggests that 15.5% (95% CI: 14.4% - 16.6%) of Australians ride a bicycle in a typical week. More than a third (34.1%, 95% CI: 32.8% - 35.4%) had done so in the past year. This equates to around 3.74 million Australians riding in a typical week, and 8.23 million doing so over a year.

Measured over the previous week the cycling participation rate has declined from 18.2% in 2011 (95% CI: 17.6% – 18.8%), to 15.5% (95% CI: 14.4% - 16.6%) in 2017. The decline measured over the previous week is mirrored when measured over the past month and year:
•Cycling participation over the past month has declined from 27.1% (95% CI: 26.4% - 27.8%) in 2011 to 21.8%
(95% CI: 20.6% - 23.0%) in 2017.
•Cycling participation over the past year has declined from 40.2% (95% CI: 39.4% - 40.9%) in 2011 to 34.1%
(95% CI: 32.8% - 35.4%) in 2017.

These changes are statistically significant at the 5% level. Moreover, the general downward trend appears to be supported by the survey results from 2013 and 2015.

it appears the drop from 2011 to 2017, 18.2% to 15.5%, looks to represent a drop of about 10% in actual numbers cycling weekly, estimated at 4.16 million down to 3.74 million.

From fig 7 above, the population index level and cycling index for 1990 was about 107 v 113, in 2017 the pop index is about 153 and cycling index perhaps about 60. Cycling has reduced in proportional terms from about 113 to 60, down to about 53% but lower still to about 40% or less relative to population level in 1990. (113/107 = 1.056, 60/153= 0.39, 0.39/1.05 = 0.37, i.e. cycling levels are at about 37% of the 1990 levels). Precise comparisons are not easy to make due to methods employed and survey methods and other changes over time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Trying to drift the thread a bit..

I see that Julia Gillard is rearing her head again, writing in the Guardian with thoughts about the mental health of politicians, what do you think of her? I only know that she comes from Wales actually