Insert Loved One Here

Vorpal

Insert Loved One Here

Post by Vorpal »

https://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/inse ... ere/create

Cycling Embassy of Great Britain wrote: ‘Insert Loved One Here’ image creator

Shine a light on bad cycling infrastructure by asking one simple question: would you want your loved ones cycling on it?

Use our simple tool to create a powerful image for your own campaigning, or submit it to our gallery.
Attachments
iloh-instructions-3.jpg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Re: Insert Loved One Here

Post by mjr »

I know what they're getting at (that too much cycling infrastructure is substandard crap almost not worth having) but I don't feel this is a productive campaign to aim at the public. It may be useful for making things to send to elected member and government officers who approve that sort of crap, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yep, I'm afraid there's a fairly strong probability that some people will be scared off letting their loved ones cycle at all as a result of seeing that kind of thing, and that press will distort it from "cycle campaign shows we need to improve shockingly dangerous cycle infrastructure" to "cycle campaign shows how shockingly dangerous cycling is".
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've been looking at these all week and I think in every picture my initial thought is, "Don't worry there is no way I would be there".
E.g. In the OP if I'd got there first I would be out in the road not allowing the lorry past. If I'd arrived after the lorry I would be sitting at its rear
But , I suppose the point they try to make us the road should be safe for all not just those with experience and a survival wish.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:https://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/insert-loved-one-here/create

Cycling Embassy of Great Britain wrote: ‘Insert Loved One Here’ image creator

Shine a light on bad cycling infrastructure by asking one simple question: would you want your loved ones cycling on it?

Use our simple tool to create a powerful image for your own campaigning, or submit it to our gallery.

Is this supposed to be a *humourous* campaign, or what?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

I wonder if anybody has any such photos with a real loved one in such a position that they could enter.
Yma o Hyd
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Paulatic wrote:I've been looking at these all week and I think in every picture my initial thought is, "Don't worry there is no way I would be there".
E.g. In the OP if I'd got there first I would be out in the road not allowing the lorry past. If I'd arrived after the lorry I would be sitting at its rear
But , I suppose the point they try to make us the road should be safe for all not just those with experience and a survival wish.

I think the point is that that is supposed to be a cycle lane. Most drivers think we ought to use them, because they genuinely don't know that they are more dangerous than being 'in the lane'. Photos like this may suggest to them that cycle lanes are not very good. Which seems like a reasonable aim to me.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is this supposed to be a *humourous* campaign, or what?

No. I think these are meant to be used by campaigners to make a point.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Paulatic wrote:I've been looking at these all week and I think in every picture my initial thought is, "Don't worry there is no way I would be there".
I think that is a cycle lane (and probably a West Sussex one). If you were not cycling in it I sure many following drivers would try to force you in it.

This campaign should be aimed at councillors primarily and highway staff. Money is being spent here and the County Council will use it to demonstrate they are spending the cycling budget.

The best campaign of all would be to force all councillors to ride a bike on roads. If they refuse they should give reasons. Not being able to ride a bike isn't one - they, after all, proudly promote and spend on bikeabilty courses. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The photo shows a readily-identifiable vehicle correctly proceeding along a road where there are no cyclists, at least none visible in the photo.

Insert a photo and what do you have

Well, if I were the truck driver or owner, you would have a letter from my solicitor claiming damages for providing false evidence of wrongdoing, perhaps claim compensation for loss of business (due to people getting a false impression of the standards displayed by my company) etc. etc.

That's what you would have.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Overlooking that the vehicle is identifiable, I think such a campaign/image could serve a purpose used appropriately, but as a public campaign I think all it will do is to dissuade people from cycling. Maybe a campaign sending such images to Highways, maybe to encourage others to photograph similar images and submit them to Highways & their Councillor (the campaign group could act as a forwarding body, cyclist sends image to the organisation and they send it on to appropriate Highways, councillor and Council Highways Committee Chairman).

But a public campaign with such images will discourage people from getting on their bikes, make parents think more than twice about getting their kids bikes or allowing them to cycle to school, etc. Does not matter if all their local infrastructure is perfect, the image will create the fear.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

rmurphy195 wrote:Insert a photo and what do you have

The ILOH tool does not allow you to photoshop your nearest and dearest into a picture.

It simply adds the brackets [ ] and phrase "Insert loved one here" to your pic. The intention is for the observer to imagine their loved one riding in an inadequate cycle lane in close proximity to HGVs, etc.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gaz wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Insert a photo and what do you have

The ILOH tool does not allow you to photoshop your nearest and dearest into a picture.

It simply adds the brackets [ ] and phrase "Insert loved one here" to your pic. The intention is for the observer to imagine their loved one riding in an inadequate cycle lane in close proximity to HGVs, etc.

The invitation is to publish the doctored photograph.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yesterday, imagine me on a bike with 620 mm handlebars, double panniers.
Now imagine that truck is an artic, and the trailer body is over the dashed line.

I wasn't sucked up.............barely 100 yrds from where a cyclist came to grief (dead) a year ago.................

TORBAY :!: Has some of the most dangerous on road marked cycle lanes in Devon.

I did warn you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

rmurphy195 wrote:The invitation is to publish the doctored photograph.

I'm not sure that you have understood how the doctoring tool works. All it adds is the brackets and the phrase.
Untitled.png

There is no further alteration to the picture of whatever farcility you photographed, just a simple invitation to imagine your nearest and dearest cycling there as the HGV thunders past.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade