Police using dash cam footage

thirdcrank

Re: Well done Wales

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote: ... In both cases I have been involved in the Police actually took the entire card - apparently having raw data improves the "chain of evidence" and helps avoid claims of doctoring or editing down the line ...

That's pretty much what I would expect: it's the "Best evidence rule." I'm pretty sure I've posted before that cameramen should expect this to happen and IIRC, I suggested avoiding "Readers' wives" footage on the same memory card. Somewhere on here there's advice from shootist on going to considerable lengths to avoid allegations of evidence tampering.
==============================================================
PS

On reflection, I may have missed your point. I think that downloading like this might only be used for a sifting process (I originally typed screening but that's a bit ambiguous here.) ie They want to see the evidence to see if the case merits investigation. I think that if there was to be a prosecution based on the evidence on a memory card, that card would be an "exhibit." ie Part of the evidence in court. Its contents would be disclosed to the defence.
mjr

Re: Well done Wales - police take dash cam footage

Post by mjr »

I've put the memory card into a storage box since the completion of the ride in each case, only putting it into a computer to get the footage for initial review and then for upload. The cards have only been used for bike camera-ing, in loop recording mode.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grandad

Welcome action

Post by Grandad »

whoof

Re: Welcome action

Post by whoof »

Unfortunately coupled with a woeful CPS or court.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

To be fair to the driver he would have only seen the cyclist initially so thought he was good to go...

I had something almost identical about a month ago, the driver had the time though to shout "w****r" as he shot past.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Scary. Oh. And I'd be amazed if he wasn't on his mobile phone.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
cyclemad

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Post by cyclemad »

Grandad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40996609/motorists-using-dash-cams-to-inform-on-dodgy-drivers

I wonder if they will prosecute solely on the dash cam evidence (and is a helmet camera a dash cam :?: )

Yes and Yes..... :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I wished I'd had a cam last week when a female driver overtook me and immediately turned left into her drive - thankfully it was uphill and at the end of a long ride otherwise I'd have been going faster and ended up squashed. I confronted her saying " I can't believe you just did that" and she ignored me so I repeated the statement. Eventually I got the response "well I did" so I asked "but WHY did you do it" .... she responded "because I wanted to get home". I was pretty shocked at her attitude, and then I noticed a mountain bike a few feet away, so I said, "I guess that's your Son's bike, how would you like it if a car driver did that to him?" to which she replied "It's my bike, and last week someone did it to me and knocked me off". All I could utter was "so that makes it alright for you to do it to me???" She did then give a grudging apology. I'm astonished at the human race sometimes :shock:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:

“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:

Only if they'll also prosecute the relevant highways department for it being an annoying one-way with no "except cycles" IIRC - a hate crime against cyclists? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:

Only if they'll also prosecute the relevant highways department for it being an annoying one-way with no "except cycles" IIRC - a hate crime against cyclists? ;-)

Except ... it's not an annoying one -way ... its part of a much larger ring road with in the city. I'm there every day .. school run. The one way works. The Brompton chap was riding with the flow of traffic on Matilda St, on the road, when he switched onto the pavement of Sidney street and started carving up the Ped's ... We cyclists are not a blameless group ...
In fact it may be worse than i thought .... looking at the pics i think it may have been a Moulton :shock: :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:Except ... it's not an annoying one -way ... its part of a much larger ring road with in the city. I'm there every day .. school run. The one way works. The Brompton chap was riding with the flow of traffic on Matilda St, on the road, when he switched onto the pavement of Sidney street and started carving up the Ped's ... We cyclists are not a blameless group ...
In fact it may be worse than i thought .... looking at the pics i think it may have been a Moulton :shock: :(

(looks at map) Hmm, doing it there seems especially odd because cycles are excepted from the Sidney Street one-way.

Maybe not blameless, but more sinned against than sinning in general!