Police using dash cam footage

thirdcrank
Posts: 30833
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Well done Wales

Postby thirdcrank » 9 Apr 2018, 7:05pm

Cunobelin wrote: ... In both cases I have been involved in the Police actually took the entire card - apparently having raw data improves the "chain of evidence" and helps avoid claims of doctoring or editing down the line ...


That's pretty much what I would expect: it's the "Best evidence rule." I'm pretty sure I've posted before that cameramen should expect this to happen and IIRC, I suggested avoiding "Readers' wives" footage on the same memory card. Somewhere on here there's advice from shootist on going to considerable lengths to avoid allegations of evidence tampering.
==============================================================
PS

On reflection, I may have missed your point. I think that downloading like this might only be used for a sifting process (I originally typed screening but that's a bit ambiguous here.) ie They want to see the evidence to see if the case merits investigation. I think that if there was to be a prosecution based on the evidence on a memory card, that card would be an "exhibit." ie Part of the evidence in court. Its contents would be disclosed to the defence.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16716
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Well done Wales - police take dash cam footage

Postby mjr » 9 Apr 2018, 7:42pm

I've put the memory card into a storage box since the completion of the ride in each case, only putting it into a computer to get the footage for initial review and then for upload. The cards have only been used for bike camera-ing, in loop recording mode.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Grandad
Posts: 1235
Joined: 22 Nov 2007, 12:22am
Location: Kent

Welcome action

Postby Grandad » 17 Oct 2018, 12:13pm


whoof
Posts: 2519
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Welcome action

Postby whoof » 17 Oct 2018, 12:19pm

Unfortunately coupled with a woeful CPS or court.

kwackers
Posts: 15459
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Welcome action

Postby kwackers » 17 Oct 2018, 12:22pm

To be fair to the driver he would have only seen the cyclist initially so thought he was good to go...

I had something almost identical about a month ago, the driver had the time though to shout "w****r" as he shot past.

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: Welcome action

Postby Spinners » 17 Oct 2018, 1:05pm

Scary. Oh. And I'd be amazed if he wasn't on his mobile phone.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby cyclemad » 17 Oct 2018, 1:54pm

Grandad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40996609/motorists-using-dash-cams-to-inform-on-dodgy-drivers

I wonder if they will prosecute solely on the dash cam evidence (and is a helmet camera a dash cam :?: )



Yes and Yes..... :D

fastpedaller
Posts: 2778
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby fastpedaller » 17 Oct 2018, 2:57pm

I wished I'd had a cam last week when a female driver overtook me and immediately turned left into her drive - thankfully it was uphill and at the end of a long ride otherwise I'd have been going faster and ended up squashed. I confronted her saying " I can't believe you just did that" and she ignored me so I repeated the statement. Eventually I got the response "well I did" so I asked "but WHY did you do it" .... she responded "because I wanted to get home". I was pretty shocked at her attitude, and then I noticed a mountain bike a few feet away, so I said, "I guess that's your Son's bike, how would you like it if a car driver did that to him?" to which she replied "It's my bike, and last week someone did it to me and knocked me off". All I could utter was "so that makes it alright for you to do it to me???" She did then give a grudging apology. I'm astonished at the human race sometimes :shock:

landsurfer
Posts: 5307
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby landsurfer » 17 Oct 2018, 4:59pm

Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:



.
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16716
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby mjr » 17 Oct 2018, 5:08pm

landsurfer wrote:Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:

Only if they'll also prosecute the relevant highways department for it being an annoying one-way with no "except cycles" IIRC - a hate crime against cyclists? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

landsurfer
Posts: 5307
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby landsurfer » 17 Oct 2018, 5:19pm

mjr wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Just watched a middle aged Brompton cyclist swing off Matilda St in Sheffield onto the pavement and ride fast, weaving through pedestrians, while there was not a single car on either side of the road, maybe I should send my car dash cam footage to South York's constabulary. Possibly a hate crime against pedestrians..... . :lol:

Only if they'll also prosecute the relevant highways department for it being an annoying one-way with no "except cycles" IIRC - a hate crime against cyclists? ;-)


Except ... it's not an annoying one -way ... its part of a much larger ring road with in the city. I'm there every day .. school run. The one way works. The Brompton chap was riding with the flow of traffic on Matilda St, on the road, when he switched onto the pavement of Sidney street and started carving up the Ped's ... We cyclists are not a blameless group ...
In fact it may be worse than i thought .... looking at the pics i think it may have been a Moulton :shock: :(
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16716
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Police using dash cam footage

Postby mjr » 17 Oct 2018, 5:27pm

landsurfer wrote:Except ... it's not an annoying one -way ... its part of a much larger ring road with in the city. I'm there every day .. school run. The one way works. The Brompton chap was riding with the flow of traffic on Matilda St, on the road, when he switched onto the pavement of Sidney street and started carving up the Ped's ... We cyclists are not a blameless group ...
In fact it may be worse than i thought .... looking at the pics i think it may have been a Moulton :shock: :(

(looks at map) Hmm, doing it there seems especially odd because cycles are excepted from the Sidney Street one-way.

Maybe not blameless, but more sinned against than sinning in general!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.