Oban-Fort William cyclepath at Ledaig

rmurphy195

Oban-Fort William cyclepath (Route 78) at Benderloch?

Post by rmurphy195 »

Does anyone know why the cycle route disappears for a mile between Benderloch and North Connel, officially you have to take to the road. I took to the old railway line - interestingly the whole of this bit goes past the Caravan Club (or now "Caravan and Motorhome Club" site).

Any connection? It isn't as if it would have cost lots to clear and resurface the old railway line, it's still up to the standard of a canal towpath. Indeed the first 20 yards or so are surfaced as per the rest of the route!

Since I approached it from the Benderloch direction, I could see the two alternative routes, one pointing Route 78 to the footpath for a few yards before ending, and the other simply saying "Caravan Site" so I followed the latter. The former goes along a narrower section of roadway with bends in it, overhung by trees.

You get back onto the cycle route near the end of Oban Airport's runway, clambering over a pile of rubble but coming from the Connel Bridge end you wouldn't realise it was there.

Personally I took one look and decided to explore the caravan site route - well trodden and much cycled as well by the look of it. Nice view of the aeroplanes - my wife and I worked most of the route the following evening) and from the bridge itself.

Still the question is - why, at one of the worst possible places, does the route disappear entirely instead of following the railway track?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
LollyKat

Re: Oban-Fort William cyclepath (Route 78) at Benderloch?

Post by LollyKat »

It may because a landowner won't sell the necessary bit. The Strathyre section of Route 7 has a steep zigzag down from and back to the old railway line for that reason.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Paulatic wrote:Read all about it.......
http://ardchattan.org.uk/news/wp-conten ... l_V1.0.pdf

Strange that the "Scottish Ministers" would object to using this stretch of the railway line. No explanation for this as far as I can see.

I can see why other sections aren't used, I think, for example sections of deep cuttings bady overgrown with trees would be a tad expensive to use, plus clearly some sections have disappeared entirely or are now built on or are farmland, but this section should be perfectly OK and relatively cheap/easy to put into use. And its nice and quiet - little or no traffic noise, and no spray from passing trucks when it's raining!

The proposals for putting the path on the other side of the road will mean that users will have to cross the road at one of is most tricky points, with fast traffic and poor visibility around the bends.

EDIT: Just came across this https://www.facebook.com/ledaigcyclepath
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Oban-Fort William cyclepath at Ledaig

Post by rmurphy195 »

I can't see how to move my original post to here, and I can't find a reference in this bit of the forum so here goes ...

I think the local people (some of them anyway) would appreciate support on their facebook page and signatures on a petition to help their efforts in bridging the gap in the Sustrans Oban-Fort William cycle path where it disappears between Benderloch and North Connel, at Ledaig, leaving only a rather hazardous section of the main road for walkers and cyclists or a rather muddy ex-railway line as an alternative.

https://www.facebook.com/ledaigcyclepath
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

E2E info
Tinnishill

Re: Oban-Fort William cyclepath at Ledaig

Post by Tinnishill »

Agitate, educate, organise.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The answer is quite simple. The caravan site owner does not want the scruff cycling through his site. This site is Caravan Club affiliated so obviously a bit " nose in the air ". My grandchildren cycle to school through the site and so far he has not dared to stop them. Their mother would be in with her pick axe handle if he did.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

You would think that a caravan site operator would notice how many of their customers arrive with bicycles and conclude that having a direct link to a safe cycle network would be a big added attraction. Anyway, I just checked and the online part of the petition was up to 550.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ambodach said
The caravan site owner does not want the scruff cycling through his site
so I imagine if it goes through they will see it as a security risk. Probably not a valid reason though as I'm sure I've stayed on sites with a RoW through it. Can't think where it was mind you :lol:
I recall writing, years ago, to David Maclean when an MP as he was against the Pennines bridleway stating theft along the route would increase!

E2E info
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have frequently seen people cycling on the road to and from the site towards Benderloch. Saw one have a near miss going into the site as the entrance is just round a sharpish corner on this fast stretch of road. Turning right you take your live into your hands and she only survived by diving for the verge on the left.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

ambodach wrote:The answer is quite simple. The caravan site owner does not want the scruff cycling through his site. This site is Caravan Club affiliated so obviously a bit " nose in the air ". My grandchildren cycle to school through the site and so far he has not dared to stop them. Their mother would be in with her pick axe handle if he did.

I'm afraid while I was there, both walking with my wife and cycling to North Connel I exercise my "right to Roam"
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I presume you had your nose firmly up in the air. I jest as I am also a caravan and motorhome club member.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

ambodach wrote:I presume you had your nose firmly up in the air. I jest as I am also a caravan and motorhome club member.

Absolutely -I'm with the other lot (Caravan and Camping club)! (Insurance is cheaper)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Insurance for what? Neither will even quote me for vehicle insurance. Too old!