Cycling Weekly's sub editor blunder

ANTONISH

Re: Cycling Weekly's sub editor blunder

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm afraid that this venerable magazine is only a shadow of what it was.
I first bought a copy in 1955 - in those days there were good touring articles as well as the racing reports ( TV coverage of the Tour de France was a few minutes of a sports programme once a week ) so the race reports filled a gap that has vanished with today's coverage.
There was some reasonable training advice from the likes of Bill Shillabear (probably misspelt that) , and Eileen Sheridan. The anonymous doctor usually recommended beer as a good blood cleanser :? . Georges Berger ( Belgian cyclist gave what seemed somewhat strange suggestions at the time but would be fairly routine today ).
There was advice on maintenance - I still find it strange to hear cyclists talking about getting the bike "serviced".
These days I rarely buy it - it is very Sportive focused - and of course advertising stuff - and a bit "lads mag" in format ( I expect this lead to the unfortunate caption which stood out like a sore thumb - coincidentally one of the rare occasions when I had read the mag.)
I'm not interested in the latest training/ diet fad - I count myself lucky to be still able to ride a bike.
Also there are plenty of competitors offering roughly the same content
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I still read it obsessively every week, as I have done for more decades than I care to count. Although it's true that sportives, product reviews and training advise are prominent, the range is much wider than that. Michael Hutchinson's weekly column is the wittiest cycling writing anywhere, the regular feature on a local club is full of examples of the ways the club scene is rejuvenating itself, and there is a strong historical consciousness, both of riders and equipment of the past.
HaroldBriercliffe

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

That caption in the Comic was in poor taste as was reflected in the following week's apologetic editorial.
Move on.
IMO the Comic isn't what it once was but there's enough of interest in there most weeks to keep me buying it.
Hutch, on form; can be worth the cover price alone.
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)