How the Dutch got Cyclepaths

pete75

How the Dutch got Cyclepaths

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ANTONISH

Re: How the Dutch got Cyclepaths

Post by ANTONISH »

The Dutch were concerned about increasing road deaths and the way that cars were taking over in towns.
In this country it would probably be easier to organise a mass protest against inconvenience for motorists and cycling provision.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The problem with the UK is getting anyone to think outside the box on wheels,and would need a great deal of persuasion and protest to gain an inch in the British psyche and love of the convenience of the car.
IMO we also vote in very cynical governments not known for progressive thinking other than building more roads and cutting to the bone any spending on cycling provision.
Last edited by reohn2 on 12 Sep 2017, 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:The Dutch were concerned about increasing road deaths and the way that cars were taking over in towns.
In this country it would probably be easier to organise a mass protest against inconvenience for motorists and cycling provision.

Hmmm makes you wonder if the Dutch are deeper thinking and more compassionate than most here. The latter because there were mass protests against rising road deaths, particularly of children and the former because they came up with a workable and, in many ways, excellent solution to fight the dominance of the car.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Back in the fifties Ernest Marples a transport minister said that Government needed to act to curtail the freedom of motorists before their number grew so large that they could become a political force and influence the outcome of an election.
That prediction has long since come to fruition.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ANTONISH wrote:Back in the fifties Ernest Marples a transport minister said that Government needed to act to curtail the freedom of motorists before their number grew so large that they could become a political force and influence the outcome of an election.

And the people in the towns and cities continue to choke on the fumes.....
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Sep 2017, 10:33am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:Back in the fifties Ernest Marples a transport minister said that Government needed to act to curtail the freedom of motorists before their number grew so large that they could become a political force and influence the outcome of an election.

Marples had a big hand in increasing car usage not least in introducing legislation making it much easier to close railway lines and then engaging Beeching to destroy much of the rail system.

Wikipedia says " It may not be entirely a coincidence that as Beeching was closing railway lines, the government was providing funding for the construction of motorways, which were being built by companies in which Marples had an interest "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Ma ... _Transport
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Yes Ernest Marples was indeed involved in road construction and rail destruction.
He was also a cycle tourist - TBH I don't know how he managed to reconcile his differing opinions with his actions.
Perhaps because he was a politician and his road business was a nice little earner ?
However his comment about motorists was prescient.
The fifties were where it all started to go wrong - roads and motorists given priority while pedestrians were given underpasses and footbridges so that they didn't get in the way of "progress". Cyclists didn't enter the equation for the most part.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:However his comment about motorists was prescient.
The fifties were where it all started to go wrong - roads and motorists given priority while pedestrians were given underpasses and footbridges so that they didn't get in the way of "progress". Cyclists didn't enter the equation for the most part.

MOre like closing the door after the horse has bolted than prescient. :wink:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pete75 wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:However his comment about motorists was prescient.

The point is that his quote was made in the fifties - definitely before the horse had bolted.
At the time I could cycle from Bexley (SE London ) along the A2 to Dover - traffic being very light.
In 1956 I cycled with a friend across London to Windsor and back in a day -I seem to remember that part of the West London stretch had cycle paths - I wonder what happened to them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote:In 1956 I cycled with a friend across London to Windsor and back in a day -I seem to remember that part of the West London stretch had cycle paths - I wonder what happened to them.

Carlton Reid and friends have a map of lost cycleways which has been discussed on this forum earlier this year - you might find their locations on that and be able to look them up on photos.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:
pete75 wrote:

The point is that his quote was made in the fifties - definitely before the horse had bolted.

It would have needed to be a lot earlier for that.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Repeal of the red flag act ?