Dooring Cyclists

fastpedaller

Re: Dooring Cyclists

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote:When the subject was debated yesterday on the JV radio program some of the excuses from motorists for not using the technique or not looking were pathetic,and included the onus was on the cyclist not to get hit,

These excuses will be from the same Motons who get all het up if you ride in the road leaving adequate room for a door to open?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:
reohn2 wrote:When the subject was debated yesterday on the JV radio program some of the excuses from motorists for not using the technique or not looking were pathetic,and included the onus was on the cyclist not to get hit,

These excuses will be from the same Motons who get all het up if you ride in the road leaving adequate room for a door to open?

That'll be about right :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

If you can see that nobody is in the car, you know a door can’t be opened. But now, with this moronic fashion for tinted windows, you can’t tell.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shoogle wrote:If you can see that nobody is in the car, you know a door can’t be opened. But now, with this moronic fashion for tinted windows, you can’t tell.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, one can never be sure
Could be a small person, someone leaning down, a left-hand drive vehicle, one can never be sure, especially when passing a long row of parked vehicles
Never trust a motron!

If the vehicle does not need to manoeuvre, the front wheels are pointing out, it could move off in a moment, riding 2m out might not be enough
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, one can never be sure
Could be a small person, someone leaning down, a left-hand drive vehicle, one can never be sure, especially when passing a long row of parked vehicles
Never trust a motron!

Indeed many years ago I was parking in the works car park, as I approached the parking space in my car, there was nobody visible, and then the drivers door was flung open (and I mean FLUNG) , cue irate driver who's first words were "look what you've done to my car - what insurance do you have? - this is a company car" as he pointed to the crease directly above the centre of the wheel. I moved to the front of the car to find the grille and headlights had taken a recent bash! "that wasn't my fault either" he said and raised his fists! I think(as I arrived) he's ducked, and flung the door open hoping to get his accident damage paid for without revealing the previous to the company. Not a nice guy, and the company where I worked sent a bill for 4K to me which included all the repair to the front as well. Some to-ing and fro-ing with my ins co and the company paid for it all. Whether he was reprimanded I don't know - He worked in the Personnel Dept :lol:
Needed to work on his inter-personal skills!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Shoogle wrote:If you can see that nobody is in the car, you know a door can’t be opened.

No we don't. As well as the possibility of a short or bent-forwards person, you can't know that the door was shut and secured properly enough not to blow open if caught by a gust of wind. I once drove my car door at low speed into a concrete pillar when a door catch fault allowed it to come open in motion :(

Leave no doubt: ride five feet out!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Don’t forget that headrests on car seats can make it very hard to see if they are occupied or not, in the few seconds you have to judge.

Also, with the amount of parked cars round my way, if I checked every car for occupants I’d never have time to look at anything else on the road!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fastpedaller wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, one can never be sure
Never trust a motron!

Indeed many years ago I was parking in the works car park, as I approached the parking space in my car, there was nobody visible, and then the drivers door was flung open (and I mean FLUNG) , cue irate driver who's first words were "look what you've done to my car - what insurance do you have? - this is a company car" as he pointed to the crease directly above the centre of the wheel. I moved to the front of the car to find the grille and headlights had taken a recent bash! "that wasn't my fault either" he said and raised his fists! I think(as I arrived) he's ducked, and flung the door open hoping to get his accident damage paid for without revealing the previous to the company. Not a nice guy, and the company where I worked sent a bill for 4K to me which included all the repair to the front as well. Some to-ing and fro-ing with my ins co and the company paid for it all. Whether he was reprimanded I don't know - He worked in the Personnel Dept :lol:
Needed to work on his inter-personal skills!

Personnel? Human Resources? Downsizing Executive?
'There's a leak in the washroom, there's a stink in personnel' - Dyer Straights :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies