World Car Free Day

Ruadh495

World Car Free Day

Post by Ruadh495 »

I've just found out that 22nd September (next Friday) is to be "World Car Free Day". Did anyone else know?

My local council and SUSTRANS are proposing to "celebrate" by closing a road from 1-6pm. Unfortunately the road they intend to close is the only vehicle access to a considerable residential area, right when residents are trying to get home from work. The problem with this road is school run parking blocking the road for residents, which they propose to solve by... closing the road to residents.

It probably won't affect me, since I'll be on my bike and using the segregated cycle path that runs parallel. I'll just have to watch out for cars, since illegally using the cycleway will be the only way in or out of the estate...

Both sides of the road have cycle paths as well. In fact, this road must be pretty much unique in having 3 convenient alternative routes for cycles.

I just think it's silly to mess around with a route which is a pure motor problem, there being no reason to cycle or walk on it given the alternatives, when there are plenty of other roads in the area where cycling (and even walking on the pavement) is really unpleasant and there are no alternatives.
gaz

Re: World Car Free Day

Post by gaz »

Ruadh495 wrote:I've just found out that 22nd September (next Friday) is to be "World Car Free Day". Did anyone else know?

Yes, I found out a day or two back. Not aware of any planned "celebrations" locally and I doubt there'll be any noticeable difference in car usage to any other Friday either.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is there a link for more information, please? I think I've gotten lost in old web pages before when trying to find out more about this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If people have a car-free day, many will have to stay at home and not go to work.
It'll be more of a work-free day instead.

We don't all have alternative means of getting to work.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/world-car-free-day/

Yeah, those are some of the out-of-date pages, the first referring to a press release for 2009 and its link to events listings goes to a site about car-free days in Indonesia, and the second seems to have no current content or onward links.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:If people have a car-free day, many will have to stay at home and not go to work.
It'll be more of a work-free day instead.

We don't all have alternative means of getting to work.

Why is "my car broke/was unavailable" seen as a valid reason for not going to work by many? There is mass transport, cycling and walking - maybe it's not possible for all journeys but it is for many, as most people would quickly figure out if their driving licence was revoked temporarily for medical or disciplinary reasons.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It all depends upon where you live and work plus what your shift patterns are.
Public transport is sketchy, to say the least. It may be ok in the towns and cities, but in the sticks, it definitely isn't ok.
Taxi maybe?

No access to a car = no work.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

E-bike maybe?

The idea of the event in my area is nothing to do with going car-free, the day (which does seem to be mainly in Indonesia) is being used as an excuse to try to persuade the school drop off traffic to park in the supermarket car park and walk to the school from there (it's not far, but they won't do it, they don't have time). I don't think there is any consideration of options which would cover the entire journey to school, plus the accompanying adult's onward commute, in the minimal timeframe available.

Realistically there aren't any such options. It's OK for me to commute an hour each way on an ebike, but I don't have to take children to school on the way. I leave about 07.15 to get to work by 08.30. If I had to drop children off in the fairly brief school drop off window (say 08.15-08.45) it wouldn't be possible. I could probably solve the technical problem of transporting kids on the bike (xtracycle or similar) but not the timings. I'd have no alternative to the car and even then timings would be tight, so I'd need to park as close to the school as possible. I imagine most of the school traffic results from people in a similar position.

The answer to school traffic has to be much wider than just the road immediately outside the school. It needs to include things like children taking themselves to school (so safe routes and a change in attitude to allowing children unaccompanied in public (can't see that happening)), more flexibility on working hours and a reduction in the need for both parents to work full-time (which means increasing the pay of the one that does / reducing living costs (housing mainly)).

Having said all that, simply enforcing the existing parking regulations would make a big difference. It's not like the authorities don't know when and where the problems are going to occur.