Letter to CTC Head Office

leftpoole

Letter to CTC Head Office

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
As a Member I feel that I should be able to make a point of view heard within the Cyclists Touring Club.
However the Cyclists Touring Club appears no longer to exist. It is now CTC.
It has a 'leader' who supports in the Media a slimeball character of Conservative extraction by agreeing that this person can do what we all do at traffic lights, bollards and roundabout plus as an aside one way streets. I DO NOT!
I should like it put on record to the rest of this CTC management that a vote of no confidence be held against Kevin Mayne who is bringing this joke of a 'Club' down.
I have been a member for some Years and this is just the latest in a line of indefensible outrages by CTC. We are no longer a Club but a Political clique sucking up to Politicians and I for one certainly do not wish to be a part of it any longer.
I will not be renewing at the end of my subscription, and I will be campaigning to the best of my ability to get CTC Members to protest. When CTC is reverted to Cyclists Touring Club with a Membership to suit, only then can one be proud to be a member once again.
John .
I have supplied full details to recipients at CTC.
Last edited by leftpoole on 27 Mar 2008, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Velo

Re: Letter to CTC Head Office

Post by Velo »

ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

My brief dealings with Mayne were enough to ensure I did not renew my membership when it expired.

No "the" in CTC, the York "show" - not "rally" and the demise of a meaningful classified ads section in the magazine are disturbing signs of where this oligarchy is taking you...
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

For crying out loud there are far more important things to get upset about than in your opinion someone who has a different opinion to yours and a politician whose politics you don't agree with and who you feel ably qualified to describe in such an extreme way.

So what if the names of events have changed, it is not the end of the world and if such things make you want to cancel membership and not attend then I'm sure others won't miss you too much.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

I'm not clear on what we should be protesting about. Is it conservatives on bikes, cycling politicians whos policies we don't like or people whos cycling behaviour is picked on by journos who are short of proper news?
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Tom Richardson wrote:I'm not clear on what we should be protesting about. Is it conservatives on bikes, cycling politicians whos policies we don't like or people whos cycling behaviour is picked on by journos who are short of proper news?

None of the above. These are just coincidental. Its the way CTC is run and percieved.
John.
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

Someone needs to make the point the the road system often appears to look like it's been designed to force cyclists off the road. If the CTC won't raise the demand that most one-way streets should be made two way for cyclists who will?

Raising demands for changes in the law and other matters relating to the practice of government is the essence of politics.

PS does anyone know what Kevin Mayne actually wrote/said?
essexman

Post by essexman »

I for one value what ctc does in terms of campaigning. No-one else states our case, except local campaign groups.

I tour and i commute by bike. I like ctc looking after both interests and i think they do a great job.
I hate snow.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Someone needs to make the point the the road system often appears to look like it's been designed to force cyclists off the road. If the CTC won't raise the demand that most one-way streets should be made two way for cyclists who will?

Hello,
This really applies only to the cyclists who live or ride in London? If so, you are all in a little World of your own! London is not the rest of the UK. Why the heck should cyclists go the wrong way along one way streets? Selfish arogant attitude.
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 27 Mar 2008, 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

essexman wrote:I for one value what ctc does in terms of campaigning.

Me too.

I may not always agree with what they are campaigning about, or dearly wish they'd campaign about something else, but campaign they do.

If they didn't, who would?

I will be renewing my membership.

John, you do as you please.
Mick F. Cornwall
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Why should one way streets be made two way for cyclists? and if so why does it really only apply to London?
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

ianr1950 wrote:Why should one way streets be made two way for cyclists? and if so why does it really only apply to London?

Hello,
The point I tried to make was that it only appears that London cyclists kick off about this sort of thing. In my opinion London is not an example to be used as most London cyclists inhabit a World far from reality.
I think the law of the road is for all, including Cycling MPs!
John.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

ianr1950 wrote:Why should one way streets be made two way for cyclists? and if so why does it really only apply to London?

and pedestrians come to that?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There seems to be some debate as to whether Mr Cameron actually broke any laws.I haven't bothered myself with finding out (YAWn)

The CTC is IMO going down like a lead balloon due to its receiving government funding, how can it possibly have any teeth!(the HC rule61 issue is a classic example, claiming victory when there was nothing of the sort) and has become a coporate gravytrain for its salaried 'leaders' IMO.As for a 'club' forget it.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My views on KM are well known. When in conversation or watching him in action he just demonstrates and air of incompetence. It is a little like seeing the “Peter Principle” in action.

As for campaigning, I hope those at local level who are doing great things for cycling and cycle safety are not treated by HQ the same as me. Staff there tried their best to undermine my work on a cycle safety issue, I was told very unofficially (the person said they would deny the conversation) that it was because of government funding and not wishing to bite the hand that feeds.
This to me is a disgrace.

As for the references to name changes. Why do we need to change them? I don’t see M&S; Sainsbury’s; Rolls Royce; of even Fairy Liquid rushing to change for change sake. Yet the Cyclists Touring Club and their premier event The York Rally have to change.

There are a lot of nice people in the CTC and that is what keeps me as a member but until KM is gone I will never again volunteer to assist in any matter.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".