Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

thirdcrank

Re: Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

Post by thirdcrank »

... this a legacy from the 1980s when bulbs used to blow, failures on more modern cars are a rare thing. ....

If it doesn't happen often, I can only assume that the numerous defective lamps I see must be the result of prolonged delays in fitting a replacement, which is the point I was making.

This is from the current Skoda Fabia handbook (P 247) It's a PDF so I can't link directly to the page:

The cover in the front wheel well must be removed in order to change certain light bulbs. Details about removing the cover if needed, are given in the description of each lamp change. Removal ›Adjust front wheels in the direction of centre of the vehicle. ›Insert the clamp for removing the full wheel covers» page 232, Vehicle tool kit into the recess in the cover. ›Remove the cover by pulling the hook in the direction of arrow » Fig. 301. Inserting ›Insert and push the cover into the corresponding opening. The cover must engage securely.

(The accompanying illustration makes it obvious that "wheel well" means what I call the wheel arch.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/ ... uals/fabia

This is from p248:
The mounting for the mopping water container nozzle must be removed in order to replace some light bulbs. The holder is located in the engine compartment, front right.

The "mopping water container" is the windscreen washer tank.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Shat needs to be addressed is the unregulated and un enforced variety of lighting on modern cars

A rear light canoe one of a hundred variations of single lights, multiple lights, strips, patterns or shapes

Worst of all is the stupidly dangerous designs where indicators are now built int the far brighter Rea light / brake light making them invisible due to the low intensity compared to the brake lights

That's not quite the worst. I saw a car on Tuesday which not only has indicators in the brake light assembly but animated ones, doing a cute illumination from the centre of the car sweeping to the edge and then extinguishing in the same manner. If this stuff passed type approval, the regulators are asleep.

That was an audi of course, the sidelight goes off when indicating so the blinking thing is easier too see I guess +1??
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Shat needs to be addressed is the unregulated and un enforced variety of lighting on modern cars

A rear light canoe one of a hundred variations of single lights, multiple lights, strips, patterns or shapes

Worst of all is the stupidly dangerous designs where indicators are now built int the far brighter Rea light / brake light making them invisible due to the low intensity compared to the brake lights

That's not quite the worst. I saw a car on Tuesday which not only has indicators in the brake light assembly but animated ones, doing a cute illumination from the centre of the car sweeping to the edge and then extinguishing in the same manner. If this stuff passed type approval, the regulators are asleep.

That was an audi of course, the sidelight goes off when indicating so the blinking thing is easier too see I guess +1??

The new Audi sweeping indicators are a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Solution to a problem? They are a styling feature pure and simple. Possibly from 1980s tv.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:That's not quite the worst. I saw a car on Tuesday which not only has indicators in the brake light assembly but animated ones, doing a cute illumination from the centre of the car sweeping to the edge and then extinguishing in the same manner. If this stuff passed type approval, the regulators are asleep.

The new Audi sweeping indicators are a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

We have a couple of smart people here, they drive audis marked *skoda* and save a lot of dosh
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies