Mandatory Helmets and hi-vis to be considered in government eview

Bonefishblues

Re: Mandatory Helmets and hi-vis to be considered in government eview

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stevek76 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:NB No mention of helmets or hi-viz, but a pretty clear hint that new offences such as causing death by dangerous cycling would be on the agenda.

It seems to me that one way or another, we've concentrated on hi-viz and helmets to the exclusion of some other significant subjects which are definitely on the agenda rather than "up for debate," which I interpret as a stock reply. Whatever, he claims it will be based on "solid evidence" so it might be worth letting him have some.

The 'review' is two parts. The first is a look specifically at the hole in offences and if/how this should be plugged.

The second part is pretty much a blank canvas on cyclist safety in general. There is nothing specific on the agenda for this section but it will be informed by submissions from groups and individuals.

Given it's a guarantee that the loons at Headway etc will be straight in there with the helmet/high vis compulsion line it is critical that this is headed off with the relevant evidence. But certainly there should be plenty of submissions on the need for proper infrastructure (and mandatory standards for it) and poor enforcement of shoddy driving standards.

Why are they thus, and even if so, why label them thus? Might it just be better to avoid name-calling, even if exposed to it?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

One of the lies spouted regarding relative safety of people on bikes comes from an EU road safety commission report (2016 IIRC) and indeed the WHO report on road safety. Both state that cycle helmets are a solution to cyclists safety, both, particularly the EU report states that low wearing rates in NL & DK make them 'dangerous' and use absolute numbers of deaths in NL compared to UK and our increase in hat wearing to 'prove' plastic hats are a solution.
It's this kind of twisting of facts by people at the highest level that infiltrates everywhere.
They might as well said cycle infrastructure is a complete failure safety wise unless you wear a cycle helmet.
The average teenager in NL cycles circa 2000km /year, average child in uk 26 miles, not a totally aligned comparison but we know that our kids and Dutch kids are poles apart when it comes to cycling numbers, much further apart than the adults.
And yet the mortality numbers are almost identical for children so despite lack of helmet wearing (compared to UK kids) and exposure/cycling miles being many multiples more there is no detrimental effect on the death rates.by not wearing helmets and yet the liars at the EU, WHO BHIT and others say there is!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a danger for the pro-campaigners here

BHIT lost a lot of support when people withdrew support when they were unhappy with their untruths and lies

They also used total figures and passed them off as head injuries in cyclists.... proving het in the UK helmet compulsion for kids would CAUSE over 19,000 head injuries per year
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Bonefishblues wrote:Why are they thus, and even if so, why label them thus? Might it just be better to avoid name-calling, even if exposed to it?

I think they are genuinely well meaning people who are very lacking in Clue when it comes to epidemiology (I'm not what anyone would call an expert, but I think I've got a rather better idea of where my limits are). I think it's probably the case that they are acting in good faith, but that their case is very much about faith. They seem so certain that their conclusions are right that it becomes reasonable to cherry pick supporting evidence and ignore "clearly wrong" evidence that doesn't look so good for The Cause.

Given the airtime they get that amounts to being ignorant people in the spotlight proving that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It isn't unreasonable to call such people "loons" with that taken in to account, just as we'd scoff at someone who tried to mandate St. Christopher medallions for all cyclists (with about as much demonstrable effect as helmets and hi-viz, and a lot of worldwide belief in their efficacy!) but I'd agree it doesn't help much in the bigger picture. Calling someone an eejit doesn't generally get them to consider their position.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pjclinch wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Why are they thus, and even if so, why label them thus? Might it just be better to avoid name-calling, even if exposed to it?

I think they are genuinely well meaning people who are very lacking in Clue when it comes to epidemiology (I'm not what anyone would call an expert, but I think I've got a rather better idea of where my limits are). I think it's probably the case that they are acting in good faith, but that their case is very much about faith. They seem so certain that their conclusions are right that it becomes reasonable to cherry pick supporting evidence and ignore "clearly wrong" evidence that doesn't look so good for The Cause.

Given the airtime they get that amounts to being ignorant people in the spotlight proving that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It isn't unreasonable to call such people "loons" with that taken in to account, just as we'd scoff at someone who tried to mandate St. Christopher medallions for all cyclists (with about as much demonstrable effect as helmets and hi-viz, and a lot of worldwide belief in their efficacy!) but I'd agree it doesn't help much in the bigger picture. Calling someone an eejit doesn't generally get them to consider their position.

Pete.

I agree - name-calling almost always deflects from the issues, and is unhelpful to the/a cause one is seeking to pursue.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Quite possibly, and it's not something I'd write in a public consultation response but here I'm happy to call a spade a spade.

Given the whole point of the charity is support for victims of head injuries and an aim to reduce incidents of them I struggle to see how aggressively pursuing this specific line on cycling when there is pretty concrete evidence from AUS/NZ that such a line is actively harmful to both specifically head injuries and wider public health is a sane course of action.

edit: pursue, not peruse :?
Last edited by Stevek76 on 12 Dec 2017, 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:NB No mention of helmets or hi-viz, but a pretty clear hint that new offences such as causing death by dangerous cycling would be on the agenda.

It seems to me that one way or another, we've concentrated on hi-viz and helmets to the exclusion of some other significant subjects which are definitely on the agenda rather than "up for debate," which I interpret as a stock reply. Whatever, he claims it will be based on "solid evidence" so it might be worth letting him have some.

The 'review' is two parts. The first is a look specifically at the hole in offences and if/how this should be plugged.

The second part is pretty much a blank canvas on cyclist safety in general. There is nothing specific on the agenda for this section but it will be informed by submissions from groups and individuals.

Given it's a guarantee that the loons at Headway etc will be straight in there with the helmet/high vis compulsion line it is critical that this is headed off with the relevant evidence. But certainly there should be plenty of submissions on the need for proper infrastructure (and mandatory standards for it) and poor enforcement of shoddy driving standards.

Why are they thus, and even if so, why label them thus? Might it just be better to avoid name-calling, even if exposed to it?

Headway are as bad as BHIT when it comes to misquoting and being misleading with their claims.

A couple of years ago... When Headway did this, I asked for the references, and reluctantly was led to a paper in a Dental Journal

Headway sated that:
t is estimated that 90,000 on-road and 100,000 off-road cycling accidents occur every year in the UK, of which a disproportionate number involve children under 16.

Child cyclists in the UK deserve the same protection as those in countries such as USA, Canada and Australia which have introduced compulsory helmet laws for children.

Headway - the brain injury association along with other national charities and the British Medical Association, believe that cycle helmets can save lives and prevent lifelong disability.

When you actually look at the figures in the original paper this is a gross and deliberate misrepresentation of both the figures and the context

When this was queried the reply was that:

The statistic relating to the 90,000 on-road and 100,000 off-road
accidents comes from the following reference: Bicycle Helmets 1 - Does
the dental profession have a role in promoting their use? Chapman HR,
Curran ALM. British Dental Journal 2004;196(9):555-560.

The actual paper stated that :

EPIDEMIOLOGY OF HEAD INJURY AFTER BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Across all ages in the UK it is estimated that there are 90,000 road-
related and 100,000 off-road cycling accidents per year. Of these
accidents, 100,000 (53%) involved children under 16, suggesting
that children are at greater risk of injury during cycling than adults.
In the UK, there were between 127 and 203 cycling fatalities
per year between 1996 and 2002, of which 70–80% were
caused by traumatic brain injury (TBI).The most recent Gov-
ernment death and serious injury figures2 are summarised in
Table 1. In children under 16, two-thirds of cycle-related deaths
occur in road traffic accidents (RTAs) with the remaining third
occurring whilst the child is cycling off road. The majority of
injuries, however, occur when children are cycling off road3–6
and, of these, traumatic brain injury (TBI) is the most likely to
have long-term consequences.

They have simply quoted the figure for ALL cycle accidents and implied that they are all serious head injuries!

When you actually look at the figures in the paper 100,000 becomes - 150!

Of course 150 accidents in ALL cyclists will be even less if you just count children, and even less still if you look at non- vehicular accidents, probably as few as 20 or 30

If the "evidence" is so strong - why lie like this
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

One should expose the untruths for what they are, whether deliberate lies, misrepresentation, misunderstanding or whatever. Simply state the facts. Facts are good, they are unimpeachable. They win arguments.

The point I was making, which you've conflated into the broader debate for some reason, was not to deflect from attacking such inaccuracies with playground insults on an open forum.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

[...]Given the airtime they get that amounts to being ignorant people in the spotlight proving that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It isn't unreasonable to call such people "loons" with that taken in to account, just as we'd scoff at someone who tried to mandate St. Christopher medallions for all cyclists (with about as much demonstrable effect as helmets and hi-viz, and a lot of worldwide belief in their efficacy!) but I'd agree it doesn't help much in the bigger picture. Calling someone an eejit doesn't generally get them to consider their position.

I agree - name-calling almost always deflects from the issues, and is unhelpful to the/a cause one is seeking to pursue.

And yet Headway supporters feel free to call ordinary-clothed cyclists the most awful names imaginable because we are being just so beastly to our families who will have to live with us after we've suffered terrible head injuries at rates never before seen among cyclists which somehow are suddenly going to start happening.

The choice is, do we care whether the worst of the helmet enthusiasts reconsider their position, or should we treat them as damage and route around them, by seeking to sideline them with a description as the public health equivalent of flat-earthers?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Hit 'em with facts. Even a helmet can't protect against those. Sidelining/navigating's all well and good, but a Headway rep found his way onto the Stephen Nolan Shop a couple of weeks ago, unopposed, to spout the most errant nonsense as fact.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Bonefishblues wrote:One should expose the untruths for what they are, whether deliberate lies, misrepresentation, misunderstanding or whatever. Simply state the facts. Facts are good, they are unimpeachable. They win arguments.

Unfortunately, facts don't win arguments. Otherwise, why do politicians and advertisers spend so much time on opinion and presentation ?

Facts only work if you are arguing with someone working from an evidence perspective. If the argument is with a belief you get nowhere. And, with bits of the media (I'm looking at you BBC) obsessed with a bonkers view of "balance" which equates to "give as much credibility and airtime to a loony minority view as you do to those who take the view that serious evidence all points the other way", and you're a long way from facts. Evidence for my views on the problems over "balance": MMR vaccine, Nigel Lawson being treated as an "expert" on climate change and not having his views properly challenged, and I could go on.

- Nigel
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nigel wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:One should expose the untruths for what they are, whether deliberate lies, misrepresentation, misunderstanding or whatever. Simply state the facts. Facts are good, they are unimpeachable. They win arguments.

Unfortunately, facts don't win arguments. Otherwise, why do politicians and advertisers spend so much time on opinion and presentation ?

Facts only work if you are arguing with someone working from an evidence perspective. If the argument is with a belief you get nowhere. And, with bits of the media (I'm looking at you BBC) obsessed with a bonkers view of "balance" which equates to "give as much credibility and airtime to a loony minority view as you do to those who take the view that serious evidence all points the other way", and you're a long way from facts. Evidence for my views on the problems over "balance": MMR vaccine, Nigel Lawson being treated as an "expert" on climate change and not having his views properly challenged, and I could go on.

- Nigel

For the avoidance of doubt I am not saying simply bash people with a spreadsheet and expect that to win the day. I am saying make your argument evidence based and don't resort to name-calling.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I have mixed feelings about both helmet wearing and high-viz. I have worn a helmet for nearly 30 years now. My first one was a Brancale, the size of a pith helmet, and more than once I heard shouts of “knob head” from a passing school bus, something that doesn’t happen nowadays. I never hit my head until last year, when I had a low speed imact with the ground, and I think the helmet was useful then. Clearly useless in a higher-speed impact with a vehicle. My chief worry with a helmet is that I think it sometimes makes me feel somewhat invulnerable: I’m more likely to assert my right to my side of the road against an overtaking car, than if I weren’t wearing it, which is silly.
As for high viz, I think it is unwise to wear dark clothing in overcast or dusky conditions. But I do sometimes wonder whether some motorists don’t say to themselves “If that prat thinks I’m going to avoid him just because he can be seen from Mars, he’s got another think coming”! Certainly seems so sometimes :(
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Thornyone wrote:...My chief worry with a helmet is that I think it sometimes makes me feel somewhat invulnerable...

You are not alone. Thanks to Strava I now know that when I ride with a helmet on my maximum speeds are up to 25% faster.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bonefishblues wrote: ... For the avoidance of doubt I am not saying simply bash people with a spreadsheet and expect that to win the day. I am saying make your argument evidence based and don't resort to name-calling.

Something that occurs to me is that while the pro-helmet lobby has a couple of what I'll term media sources providing speakers etc, there doesn't seem to be any obvious organised anti lobby. (The CTC used to be anti compulsion and I assume that CUK is broadly the same, but that doesn't involve collating and presenting the "anti" evidence.) I may well be wrong, but if I am, my ignorance only illustrates what I'm saying.

Whenever the subject comes up, we quickly have yet another helmet thread in which the facts repeatedly confound the "common sense" alternative, but to what purpose, beyond convincing those already convinced? When these "pro" bodies trot out their guff, the media would love a strong opposing viewpoint, if only for the controversy.

Put another way, no matter how a helmet thread starts, it inevitably goes the same way. eg, the current, "School trying to make helmets compulsory" thread, where the OP stopped posting some time ago. Plenty of solid evidence about helmets, little about schools' authority to impose something like this, but no plan.

There are obviously some who are passionate about this and that energy needs focus if it's to achieve anything.